Options

Suggestions for KVM?

BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm in need of a KVM for home use. I only need a 2-port switch, but need 1 of the connections to be SVGA while the other needs to be VGA. I also need to be able to support a resolution of 1680x1050. Any recommendations? I checked Newegg out but thought I would ask here as well.
MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think any basic consumer KVM, such as Linksys, will meet your needs. I don't remember ever having any problems managing machines with different resolutions. It simply replicates the incoming signal to the monitor. As long as you get one that supports the highest resolution you need, you should be fine.
  • Options
    The problem I am having is finding one that supports both SVGA and VGA -- all I can find are VGA. Even when the specs say SVGA, the images show that they are only VGA icon_sad.gif
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    j938j938 Member Posts: 101
    BeaverC32 wrote:
    The problem I am having is finding one that supports both SVGA and VGA -- all I can find are VGA. Even when the specs say SVGA, the images show that they are only VGA icon_sad.gif

Im not for sure but can you get an adapter to connect between the two connections?
    Growth is limited.
  • Options
    BeaverC32 wrote:

When you say VGA and SVGA, are you referring to screen resolution or the physical connection? VGA is confusing because it is both. Your physical connections will be either VGA (analog) or DVI (digital) while VGA, SVGA, XGA, etc. refer to the screen resolution.

Are you trying to say you need to get a unit that will interface with DVI?

You can get adapters (as mentioned in the post above) for that cheap: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=vga+dvi&x=0&y=0

However, you will degrade the quality a bit since it will be analog instead of digital.
  • Options
    Thanks for the clarification -- DVI is indeed what I meant.

I was hoping I could get a KVM without needing to "downgrade" to analog.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    BeaverC32 wrote:
    Thanks for the clarification -- DVI is indeed what I meant.

I was hoping I could get a KVM without needing to "downgrade" to analog.

You can:
    http://www.cablestogo.com/product_list.asp?cat_id=518
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Thanks for the link....

I was hoping I could get a KVM for a bit less than $150...you could get a fairly nice LCD monitor for that price! There were similar products on Newegg, but all very expensive.
  • Options
    Yea, you're going to pay a premium for that. Do you have a VGA cable and adapter you could test your display with? Most people won't even notice a difference. You might want to take a look at that before you commit to an expensive device.

On a side note, that one unit that allows dual displays is a beast. It's too bad it tops out at 1600x1200 in digital. It seems like a high-end device like that would be geared toward people running 1680x1050 or 1900x1200.