ASTERISK>? - ANYONE using it OR THOUGHTS

j938j938 Member Posts: 101
is there anyone using this right now or what are you thoughts about it thanks
asterisk.org
Growth is limited.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I disavow any knowledge.... and I have no idea how that Asterisk Server wound up in my basement. :D

It's been mentioned in the CCVP forum in this thread.
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23337
    chmod wrote:
    Right now a lot of service provider are using asterisk.
    If you want to startup a VoIP business in your basement or garage - you can't beat the price. And I guess if you're a CHEAP ISP/Service Provider and don't want to spend the BIG BUCKS on a Cisco CallManager Solution to offer VoIP Service/Solutions to your customers, then Asterisk may be an option icon_sad.gif (but you won't catch me posting THAT in the CCVP forum icon_lol.gif )
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,029 Admin
    [quote=From http://www.asterisk.org/support/about]Asterisk as a switch (PBX), gateway, feature/media server, network, and in the call center and network[/quote]
    My first thought was, "I hope someone is going over the Asterisk source code looking for back doors and traps." It's almost a too-good-to-be-true Open Source product. But it's actively maintained by the Debian VoIP Team and has a lot of users groups for assurance. Maybe TE should use Asterisk to jump on the VoIP service bandwagon. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    j938j938 Member Posts: 101
    Thanks just curious we use call manager here?
    Growth is limited.
  • Options
    livenliven Member Posts: 918
    I have deployed it my previous employer.

It worked well actually. Well I take that back. At first it didn't work well because the company owner had a wifi shot connecting two buildings. I was not responsible for the wifi connection, and it was not installed correctly. Because of this there were lots of errors on the wifi connection. Phones at the remote building (wifi connected building) had all kinds of weird issues. Phones inside the building local to the asterisks server worked perfectly.

Once the wifi shot was replaced with an oc12 everything started working flawlessly.

My self and another coworker wrote a system that allowed us to mass deploy snom voip phones based on MAC addresses. Bascially all you had to do was enter the MAC address of the phone into a database, and then give it a number. Presto the phone was setup. If it was connected to our LAN on any port it just worked.

I am sure Ciscos system is much more robust. But I was tasked to deploy a voip phone system and do it as low cost as possible. And we pulled it off.

It is not a perfect system, but asterisk is pretty cool. I suggest giving it a shot!!!
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • Options
    livenliven Member Posts: 918
    mikej412 wrote:
    I disavow any knowledge.... and I have no idea how that Asterisk Server wound up in my basement. :D

It's been mentioned in the CCVP forum in this thread.
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23337
    chmod wrote:
    Right now a lot of service provider are using asterisk.
    If you want to startup a VoIP business in your basement or garage - you can't beat the price. And I guess if you're a CHEAP ISP/Service Provider and don't want to spend the BIG BUCKS on a Cisco CallManager Solution to offer VoIP Service/Solutions to your customers, then Asterisk may be an option icon_sad.gif (but you won't catch me posting THAT in the CCVP forum icon_lol.gif )

I would like to note that open source doesn't always mean someone is cheap. I did mention that I was tasked to do something in an inexpensive way. However, I do believe in using what is best for the situation. For me sometimes that means using open source/free software.

For instance apache, is bar none the best web server I have ever used. And it is free.

Snort is free, and to me it is one of the best IDSes available.

There are plenty of other examples I could make. AND YES this is just my opinion, I am sure Mike has more knowledge than I do, but I just wanted to voice my thoughts.
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.