Options

My 1st week

IT_AdminIT_Admin Member Posts: 158
My first week at my new job as a Sys Admin

Wednesday Jan 2nd;

I was told to show up at 10ish, so I arrived a little early 9:45. Rather be early and wait then late and rush. This day was pretty much a meet and greet day with HR, and ALOT of paper work to fill out. Received my card/keys to both sites. Lunch quickly came, which to my surprise I was treated to by my manager and by the HR manager. Something that I am not accustom to. Lunch was a relaxed setting. More of get to know you type thing. With lunch over I receive a call in my office, that I am to head to my other site and to take 9 comps with me to setup a training lab for next week. Grab the machines and off I go. By the time I drop the machines off and do a quick tour of my 2nd site, its almost 6pm, and I still have an 1hr drive home, late night.. :)

Thursday Jan 3rd

Pretty much spent all day at my 2nd site running cables and setting up workstations on the domain, nothing really exciting happened here. There was enough work to fill the day, as I got to get more settled with the network and how things are setup. After setting up the workstations for the new lab, went through some testing with my boss to verify. Again it just shortly after 6pm when I walked out the door.

Friday Jan 4th

Back at my primary location, this time I was left on my own when I arrived, I ended up spending the entire morning going through my new office, as the last tech was a complete slob, & didn’t label anything. One nice thing is that the server room is right next door. After lunch, I went through some training with my boss; it was only brief as we were waiting for the conference call. Sat in the conference call, didn’t really know what the hell they were talking about :) but tried to take notes and pay attention. After the call went back to some training for a little while. Afterwards I finished the day off filling out MORE paper work, getting my parking pass :), and tidying up my office. Walked out the door shortly after 5.

Weekend - Thank god... sooooooooo tired.

Monday Jan 7th.

Started monday off with some 2hr training session learned the ticket system and how orders are placed. Also told that my phone & laptop should be in this week. Things that I was being trained on were finally starting to sink in. I did start to notice that ppl would just show up with my door with problems, usually saying "you’re the new tech? Can you fix this for me?" Some were nice about it and just dropped by to say "hi" and said they would let me get settled in before bugging me. I spent pretty much the entire afternoon walking around the site taking notes. The last tech used a **** up naming convention that made no sense, so as one of my jobs was to find out what machines would have to be renamed, whiched turned out to be a lot.. I did get lost quite a bit while doing my walk through, because as the numbers go you see, 81, 82, 83 then 143,144. I was often left thinking where the f**k is 84? Although I did finally figure it out. Made a note to fix that for the future. Also learned officially that my hours are 8-5 with a 1hr lunch

Tuesday Jan 8th

Spent alot of my time working with the regional manager fixing naming problems, seeing an increasing number of ppl "stopping by" to ask me to fix various things. Got to spend some time in the server room, did some quick documentation for myself, as server names/ip addresses, all the switches info. I finally get to get my hands dirty with some cisco equipment woohoo :)

Wednesday Jan 9th

Once again off to my 2nd site, this is my real first tech visit; as I was there to start fixing issues that have lingering. Nothing out of the ordinary, just some replacements of hd, imaging, setting up printing. Enough little things to keep me busy throughout the day. The manager said as I was leaving that he was going to be singing my praises to my boss tonight when he talks to him. It’s nice to be recognized for the work that you do.

Thursday Jan 10th

Not sure yet, I will be meeting with HR to discuss my budget, and go from there.
Next victim: 70-351

On my way to MCSE 2K3: Security

Comments

• Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    Sounds cool. Keep us posted on things.
  • Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    Very cool. Sounds similar to my job, first week was pretty much fixing everything that was messed up from the previous consultants that they were using before finally hiring a permanent Admin. The workstations here had pretty much no naming convention at all and they weren't even educated as to why they need one.

What kind of toys you get to play with over there?
  • Options
    ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    that's my dream job! goodluck to you. :)
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • Options
    IT_AdminIT_Admin Member Posts: 158
    It’s mostly a mix mash of older tech, I know they are pushing for an upgrade sometime this year; some workstations are running win2k, while other are winxp. It's the same thing in the server room, my primary site is running 2003 on a dell 2650 poweredge server, couple of cisco 2650 switches. While my 2nd site is a little more neglected it requires more care.

I was in touch with my boss today, i didnt get a chance to speak with him on friday, there were some big issues that were cause by some senior mgmt.. So we were just discussing how things were going and what not. I found out that I will be in charge of some special projects that are coming up soon. (im assuming this is going to be used like an evaluation of my time mgmt skills, and such) Also that I am going in EARLY monday morning, 3am early. I have to be there for a guy to come and replace the batteries in our ups, bloody thing takes 40 batteries. The batteries are huge, take a car battery, cut it half and you have 1 battery. So I have to be there to let him in the building and into the server room. Going to be a long day... Although my shift is from 3-12. So I can at least go home and goto sleep afterwards.
    Next victim: 70-351

On my way to MCSE 2K3: Security
  • Options
    StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    Sounds like a comfortable environment. You're not being rushed into things while still becoming an active member from the beginning.
  • Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    xntrix18 wrote:
    It’s mostly a mix mash of older tech, I know they are pushing for an upgrade sometime this year; some workstations are running win2k, while other are winxp. It's the same thing in the server room, my primary site is running 2003 on a dell 2650 poweredge server, couple of cisco 2650 switches. While my 2nd site is a little more neglected it requires more care.

I was in touch with my boss today, i didnt get a chance to speak with him on friday, there were some big issues that were cause by some senior mgmt.. So we were just discussing how things were going and what not. I found out that I will be in charge of some special projects that are coming up soon. (im assuming this is going to be used like an evaluation of my time mgmt skills, and such) Also that I am going in EARLY monday morning, 3am early. I have to be there for a guy to come and replace the batteries in our ups, bloody thing takes 40 batteries. The batteries are huge, take a car battery, cut it half and you have 1 battery. So I have to be there to let him in the building and into the server room. Going to be a long day... Although my shift is from 3-12. So I can at least go home and goto sleep afterwards.

That's great. Nothing better than jumping in and getting to participate in total upgrades.
  • Options
    stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow I must say that's really cool, I hope to get to where you are in the near future!
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore