Options

Security+ related jobs

apreston48apreston48 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, new to the site and board ...I just started my studying and I'm using the Exam Cram 2 book plus CBT Nuggets and this site, so hopefully I'm good there.

My question is this, what job can I expect to come out of having a Security+ cert? I currently hold no certs but I'm looking into building up my career. I'm currently an IT Business Analyst that works in the security field using the Sarbanes-Oxley act dealing with controlling network access permissions and policies for my corporation. I want to know what the next logical job I can shoot for. Searching IT Security jobs on Monster and Careerbuilder doesn't always pull back what you would hope or expect.

Any guidance or assistance on where my next step would be would be greatly appreciated. I want to move up but I want the foundation to do so!

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    First off, welcome to the forums!

As far as your question goes, the Security+, like all CompTIA certifications, is entry-level. I really wouldn't expect too much from the Security+ alone. What do you ultimately want to work with? You can get security specializations in MS, Cisco, etc., or you can also go a different route and focus on things like physical security and biometrics.
  • Options
    apreston48apreston48 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the response, I feel like I have a good comfortable knowledge of AD and it's security related tasks...I enjoy the administration part of it, so I'm thinking System Admin or something of that nature. I really like the business side of the security field and coming up with and deciding what policies and procedures need to be put in place to better secure our company and their information. I have a Bachelor of Science in Information Science and Systems along with two minors: Administration Management, and Management.

The problem is that my current role doesn't appear to have any foreseeable openings to move up so I'm looking to broaden my knowledge so I could possibly go up through another job.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you want to work in the security/management realm, I believe you ultimate goal should be the CISSP. However, you do need to meet certain requirements, such as work experience. If you like working on the MS side of the fence, you should either go with the 2003 MCSE with the security specialization or you might want to start with the 2008 track since you're just getting started. 2008 will not have a security specialization since they are going to be integrating security with everything else this time around.