Options

70-290 without experience?

Crucio666Crucio666 Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey Guys,

I've been trying to study for my 70-290 exam for the past 2 years.

I've started off with 70-270 which i found easy. For the first year at my job all i did was mostly desktop support and minor server admin work.

Right after i took my 70-270 exam i started studying for my 70-290. This was a year ago. I had very little experience in servers at this time. I didn't understand a thing i was reading and couldnt apply it to my job.

It's now 2 years later and i'm now a full blown sysadmin (same job). I'm starting to study for my 70-290 again and it makes SO MUCH MORE SENSE NOW.

I don't know how people can pass these exams without actually working/dealing with servers on a daily basis.

I find it so much more easier to study knowing i can go into work the next day, try out what i learned on my servers, check out our current setup etc and apply it to my job.

I expect to take the exam in 2 weeks, i hope it all goes well!

Comments

• Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I found that it really helps once you have some experience in what you are studying. I also found however that I can learn a lot about things I don't have experience in by studying for certifications. If I don't have the on the job experience, I usually try to compliment everything I learn in a lab then think out it would apply in our environment. Good luck in the test in a couple weeks!
  • Options
    leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    I believe most people that don't have hand on professional experience usually setup a lab at home to practice with. While it isn't quite the same, you can learn plenty in a lab environment.

Good luck with the test.
    Dustin Leefers
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Crucio, do you have any experience with VMWare or Virtual PC. Even though I run a Windows network, there are many things I don't come across or don't want to try (i.e. breaking something on seeing if I can fix it). VMs allow you to quickly and easily gain hands-on experience without having to have a sys admin job or risk damage to your actual network. Most modern machines will allow you to create a large enough virtual lab to carry out any of the tasks required to pass the exams. For example, I had four 2003 servers and two XP clients setup in various routing configurations while working on a 291 lab the other night.
  • Options
    mattd75mattd75 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Crucio666 wrote:
    I find it so much more easier to study knowing i can go into work the next day, try out what i learned on my servers, check out our current setup etc and apply it to my job.

I really feel like I have an advantage being able to use my VPN connection to access my work DC to see how things are set up (and use some of the things I am learning) as I work in my home lab (DC, Apps server and several Virtual pc's). :D
  • Options
    Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hands on experience on an active network is the best. You can just observe everything in the big picture of things.

Nothing like finding out you just cut off about a thousand users from all internet browsing capabilities by simply changing a 'little' thing to see what it does. I was troubleshooting a DNS issue. I figured putting any old random DNS server as a forwarder on my external DNS would be 'fun'. icon_rolleyes.gif That didn't help and I quickly flooded the helpdesk with users saying "My computer doesn't work." I also learned that I should notify my supervisor if I ever decide I need to change anything on an essential network server or device. It was all good though. I was thereby known as the guy that always breaks DNS. The fix for the DNS issue wasn't even DNS related. icon_confused.gif

Anyways, I feel labs are more then fulfilling for studying for an exam. But hands on outside of a lab is hands down better.

Good luck on 290, I'll be following you shortly.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Crucio666 wrote:
    Hey Guys,

I've been trying to study for my 70-290 exam for the past 2 years.

I've started off with 70-270 which i found easy. For the first year at my job all i did was mostly desktop support and minor server admin work.

Right after i took my 70-270 exam i started studying for my 70-290. This was a year ago. I had very little experience in servers at this time. I didn't understand a thing i was reading and couldnt apply it to my job.

It's now 2 years later and i'm now a full blown sysadmin (same job). I'm starting to study for my 70-290 again and it makes SO MUCH MORE SENSE NOW.

I don't know how people can pass these exams without actually working/dealing with servers on a daily basis.

I expect to take the exam in 2 weeks, i hope it all goes well!

as far as that feeling you have, I felt the same way. I had a very similar experience to yours. Stuff just clicked after a year with hands-on experience. Though I should have taken this exam about 2 years ago (let alone the MCSA track), I finally passed this thing not too long ago. Personally, I think hands-on experience trumps all. But if you read the books along with the experience, it enhances the hands-on experience that much more. Congrats on the pass!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I believe that everyone feels that hands-on experience in a live environment is superior to a lab environment. The point I was trying to make was that I don't see any real benefit in scraping together a few old PCs instead of simply using a virtual lab for practicing lab exercises; the experience is going to be virtually (no pun intended) identical. If you have some old equipment or just want to tinker with stuff, by all means, go for it. I just wouldn't encourage people to go out of their way to find it for their studies.
  • Options
    I dunno, I just picked up two poweredge 1550s and a 2450 for my tinkering pleasure :^). I love all the older dells cause we used to have a ton of them. I used the 2450 as my Openview server. I just couldn't pass up all 3 for $350, plenty of drives too. Can't wait to actually do the whole domain thingy with 'em all once I start hitting the MS exams.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    CCNA
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    Where did you find 3 of those for so cheap?
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    Craigslist.com, It's truely better then ebay. Since I'm in the Bay Area, it's probably more popular then ebay here.

2450 came with 4 36gb drives and each of the 1550's came with two 36gb drives. All have raid cards, one came with a fiber NIC too. 1550s are 1ghz pent 3s 512 RAM, 2450 has dual 1ghz pent 3s 2GB Ram. Nothing amazingly fast, but enough hard drives to play around with.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    CCNA