Passed 70-292 - 1000

etnieetnie Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Today I scored 1000/1000 for my 70-292 exam. I was aiming for a 925! Even though I scored such a high mark, I'm disappointed that I studied so much before taking this exam. I have been studying on and off for 3 years now. Last year I decided to take it before it expires. So from November every moment that I was not at work I was studying for this exam. I had my large 296/292 ms press book. And really studied every topic (plus other resources, this book alone is not enough to pass). I had a test network set up at home as well. A few weeks before the exam I started freaking out. I decided to amp up my study routine by getting up at 6am studying then going to work then coming home and studying. I didn't go out at all. New Years eve was even spent studying for my exams when I live only minutes from all the major firework areas. I became obsessed. I didn't even drink any alcohol as I didn't want to ruin the chances of passing. Last night as I went into bed I knew that another day of study and I could collapse through exhaustion. I ran myself into the ground for this exam. My eyes are so sore, I can hardly keep them open. I just wanted to pass the darn thing. Now the party days of 07 and start of 07 have gone and I spent it studying. I feel like a bit of a loser with no life. How could I get so obsessed by an exam? I'm determined to study for 296 but not this much! I over did this unnecessarily. This exam is not too bad, just dont' over do it like I did.

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats, most don't put forth the effort you did, but I think you're the only person to have ever over studied for this exam. icon_lol.gif

I think many spend a good deal of time on this and still are happy to score in the 700's. Many don't pass on their first attempt. In my opinion it is as tough as (or tougher than) the beast 291.
    etnie wrote:
    I had my large 296/292 ms press book. And really studied every topic (plus other resources, this book alone is not enough to pass).

What else did you use that you found helpful? There are still a couple of folks on these forums that are going to attempt this one before it retires.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've heard 292 is about the most difficult MS exam you can take. While a casual observer may label you a loser with no life, we all revere your skills. Congratulations on the ace icon_thumright.gif

I tend to get into it too, especially when it comes right down to the last few days. However, you'll be good as new in a day or two, and you'll always have that knowledge you gained. You've genuinely learned the material as opposed to simply learning enough to get by. This will make you a more valuable employee in addition to making your future studies easier, so I don't think putting all that time into it was a waste. You probably could have pushed the exam back a week or two and not made yourself miserable over it, but there's no use worrying about it now.

It doesn't have to be New Years to party. Go out and have some fun this weekend; you've definitely earned it. Good luck with 296!
  • etnieetnie Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Here's My techniques (they are a little over the top I wouldn't recommend them!)
    I read the MS Press as mentioned (when I mean read I mean I take my own notes, then I type them all up so I can remember them, then I do the questions at the end of each chapter).
    But then for every topic, I went through Exam Cram and also Sybex to see if there was anything the MS Press book had missed. It felt like there was a lot the MS Press book had missed. (I also found this book very hard to use as there are 2 different writers. Well, when you go through the different sections you can tell the difference between the writers and it was very off putting to study from - I used to always use MS Press books but will never again.)
    Every chapter that I did, I went through on my lab and practised. Anything I didn't understand I went through and just tried to do the steps.
    I also read Netfresco and practised groups (there wasn't much about this though) in the exam.
    I purchased the Redmond exams and used them once to see what was in them then never used them again. (waste of money!!) I used the MS-Press pratice exam CD but I really felt some of things in there were too obscure. I couldn't study enough to get those questions right!!
    I think that's about it for now. I've got a bit of a brain drain going on. A glass of wine with lunch didn't really help either!! I'm sure I have may left something out, I'll check on this tomorrow when I've had time to reflect!
  • etnieetnie Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I felt that the upgrade exam from NT 4 to 2000 was much harder than this. That was more exams in one. If you've passed that exam this is a walk in the park!!
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    wow, you just threw a perfect game in the world series! congrats!!!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    etnie wrote:
    I felt that the upgrade exam from NT 4 to 2000 was much harder than this. That was more exams in one. If you've passed that exam this is a walk in the park!!

Absolutely no comparison. The NT4 to W2K upgrade exam was nearly impossible. That was 4 exams rolled into one long and difficult exam. The 292 is tough because it is 290 and 291 combined. The 291 is tough and when you add in the extra territory covered in 290 it makes for a lot of subjects to master.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 934 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrat :)
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • allylaurenteallylaurente Member Posts: 131
    Well Done!
    "...don't wait for miracles, be the miracle" - Bruce Almighty
  • Joe DonnerJoe Donner Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Blimey! Full marks?! Well done, dude!

I've been studying a bit like that since January, 5th. Before work, lunchtimes, after work, weekends, you name it...

We'll see if it pays off tomorrow.

Wish me luck!
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats icon_cool.gif
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops