Options

Got a surprise from Linksys 8)

KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
This 84-year old man nextdoor to me asked me to connect him to the internet, since he owned a laptop. I looked his laptop over and found that he just needed a PCMCIA card and picked one up from a local Wal-mart sometime last week.

Well...I just got around to installing it for him this evening and found something interesting when I opened the box. The card, documents, and everything was there...but the CD was strange. It did not bare the Linksys logo and instead was labeled with a marker, "GeekSquad 4.8."

"The heck?" I thought to myself as I slipped the CD into the computer. I have no idea how a Geeksquad CD got into the box of a linksys network card from walmart. o_O
Pictures of the program when loaded on my machine:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/KGhaleon/squad1.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/KGhaleon/Squad2.jpg

Yeah, real big WTF moment. It seems to be a CD used by Geeksquad techs. I ended up getting the actual driver off the internet...but I'm still wondering whether I should try and return it for the real CD. <_<
Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680

Comments

• Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    LOL icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Damn geeksquad did it again!!! give me a copy of that disk, I can use it to fix my PC...
  • Options
    Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My buddy works for Geeksquad, he has a bunch of cool utilities I haven't got to play with yet.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    can you seed a torrent of that? icon_cool.gif
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    That's priceless. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    Suuuuure would like to get my hands on that utility to blog about it... icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good idea JD blog them, so we can unmask em... it might be the best thing the public needs to be aware of.
  • Options
    KGhaleon, what's the version of that MRI app? I see v4.8.0 on eDonkey. The ISO is 665MB.

Oh--never mind. I just saw the 4.8.0.0 in the splash screen.
  • Options
    If I didn't know any better, I'd guess you guys want me to seed it, eh? icon_lol.gif

Yeah, that's the version number. I don't know if that's the latest or not. They have some programs like Ewido, which seem rather dated so I dunno. I promptly copied the disc to my drive like the license agreement told me too. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Looks to me like someone got it as a Christmas present. Bought from Best Buy but returned to Walmart. This time of year they don't always require a reciept.

Very possibly bought by a GeekSquad employee using his discount (20%?) and returned to Walmart for full price...
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    It seems like the Geek Squad MRI is just a bootable tools disk with a bunch of standard diagnostics/repair tools and maybe a couple of custom ones. There is a Geek Squad manual in PDF format floating around the P2P networks that mentions the MRI CD. It's pure A+ cert stuff, but helpful to anyone needing to fix a PC. It contains no secret Masonic codes that I can tell. ;)
  • Options
    Strangely, the tools just expired on me. It won't let me open the MRI and tells me to go get the latest version. :p
    I don't know if putting my clock back will change anything, but that's weird. I assume it looks at your clock since CDs are read-only and nothing really should have changed with the files. It could have changed something in the registry of the system as well.
  • Options
    I got another weird surprise. I got a CD marked as "confidential" in the mail today. Apparently it is from a contracting agency I worked for a while back. I did a few projects for them. I think they sent the disk to me by mistake...as it contains a lot of documentation and data on an upcoming project. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You seem to be a magnet for weird things... icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    mamono wrote:
    You seem to be a magnet for weird things... icon_eek.gif
    A magnet for people who don't frequently update their contractors mailing lists.