Options

PC vs Mac, Mac vs PC

2»

Comments

• Options
    GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
    dynamik wrote:
    Goldmember wrote:
    I was hoping Linux would develop into an amazing desktop OS, but so far I have been dissapointed.

What's so disappointing about Linux? Besides not being able to run some games and big-name apps (at least without something like WINE), I don't see anything wrong with it. If you're just talking about visuals, check out Compiz Fusion:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=bvnQE1EAEZY
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=mpGYybWOiCc

Nothing is wrong with Linux per se, its just sad when something doesn't work correctly and getting the proper support for it.

Also, installing programs on linux, and supposedly installing Compiz Fusion is way more difficult then it should be.

In my opinion a good consumer OS should have apps that are easy to install. Linux hasn't reached this barrier yet IMHO.

Don't get me wrong, I can install most apps. But I'm talking about the basic user.
    Linux has always been geared toward the "computer techie" type people and hasn't crossed the barrier into viable consumer OS.

If it did, I'm sure more people would be using it.
    CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I'm a little curious....lots of complaints about Apple, but how many actually use Apple? Or are the complaints similar to the typical 'follow-the-crowd' type complaints?

After my Apple II days, I didn't like the whole Macintosh era....and switch into IBM-Clones. I couldn't imagine EVER wanting to use a MAC, but then along came Vista and I really didn't see the harm any longer.

My MacBook has been great. The Design (something I never thought I'd care about) is pretty nice and the OS is a piece of cake to use. Even my husband could figure it out. Everything 'just works' and I don't need to spend time coaching him on how to set stuff up to work....he literally can plug in and use stuff.

At some point, I may need to upgrade into Vista on the PC's.....then again, I may not. Most thing we use these days are open-source or even web-based so the platform is becoming less relevant for home-use. We'll see.

What I'm still looking to understand (and if I was real bored tonight I'd go back and search the forums....but I'm not THAT bored)...I'm wondering how many of the people in this thread who have condemned Apple/Mac's have also condemned MS on various posts? So if you fall into that category...what do you use? And what are you supporting during your workday?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    phreakphreak Member Posts: 170 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I like Mac because of it being based on a BSD platform.

The GUI is pleasing to the eye.

The machines are pretty powerful for what they are.

I hate Mac because of the GUI (mostly because I have no clue how to navigate it as I dont spend time running it!)

The fact that nearly every Mac user I know thinks that their Mac is SOOOO much better than any Windows-based PC ever could be. They also are very impatient about everything.

The amount of people that buy a Mac and then expect someone who works on PC's to be able to fix it right away (see above) and then get mad because the tech can't because he/she is not a Mac tech.

FWIW we had one of them Mac's that is all integrated into one unit at work. It looked like a giant white television. After I started we de-commissioned it right away, and loaded Ubuntu for the Mac onto it.
  • Options
    pryde7pryde7 Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mac Vs PC?
    Personally I like playing with tech, trying and pushing it my way! Only a pc falls in. I started in with the pc and will continue with it.

Generally:

a) it depends where u started (many are christians b/c they were born to a christian family)

b) Your environment. (if your work requires what u hate, u quit or u use it)

c) choice (at home or personal use, u consider ease of use, support, software, budget and performance)

If the Mac was better, they must have reached 20% market share. They belong where they are best. PC wins and will continue to win!!
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    MAC vs PC.

I own a MAC powerbook G4 and that thing is slow. My fiance' had a work issued MAC ibook G4 and it wasn't as slow as the Powerbook but still not as fast as my HP.

At work we have some MAC G5 towers which are pretty cool but still seem slower than a PC. Now also at work we have an imac G5 (the monitor is the computer) and that thing sucks. It has had the hard drive fail twice, the motherboard fail twice (RAM slots) and the power fail three times. Lucky all this was replaced under MAC's warranty but still my experiences have convinced me to stay away.

I have heard the new MAC built with the Intel chips are a lot better.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Plantwiz wrote:
    I'm a little curious....lots of complaints about Apple, but how many actually use Apple? Or are the complaints similar to the typical 'follow-the-crowd' type complaints?

Oh, I didn't know I was allowed to do that! :D

Cool, I'll jump in and say I don't like Macs. Never used one, but hey, it's more fun to just not like them. If I could afford one I'd buy one so I can officially not like them. :P
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Plantwiz wrote:

Oh, I didn't know I was allowed to do that! :D

Cool, I'll jump in and say I don't like Macs. Never used one, but hey, it's more fun to just not like them. If I could afford one I'd buy one so I can officially not like them. :P

+2 for Honesty :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    I support about 20 Macs (Intel-based, G4 & G5-based, and XServe), and it is frustrating.

I spent all day today messing with one.

I have a Mac G5 that I'm trying to reload (works fine, just want to reinstall) and I just get a kernel panic when booting from any of my DVDs. Apparently it is super-picky about what version of OS X it needs. If it comes with 10.4.8, don't try to install 10.4.9. If it's Intel-based, don't use the G5 disc, etc etc..I get exactly 2 results when googling the hexadecimal kernel panic code. One is in polish and one is in spanish and they both say something to the effect that I'm using the wrong disc.

Macs are simply not designed to be used in an enterprise network.

XP is XP...i mean you might need to get some RAID drivers or even nLite in a service pack, but with Mac, if you don't have the right disk, you're screwed...This isn't very conducive to an enterprise environment!!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    nlabelle wrote:

XP is XP...i mean you might need to get some RAID drivers or even nLite in a service pack, but with Mac, if you don't have the right disk, you're screwed...This isn't very conducive to an enterprise environment!!

I think you hit the nail on the head. They're consumer products. I haven't used OS X Server, but the impression I get is that it's geared toward all Mac shops, such as design and audio studies. I've never even seen anyone use it.

Having said that, I don't understand the hatred towards Macs. I prefer Windows for reasons I've listed earlier, but it's a decent product that clearly meets the needs of a lot of people. I think the only dislike I have is directed towards some of Apples annoying policies.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    nlabelle wrote:

I think you hit the nail on the head. They're consumer products. I haven't used OS X Server, but the impression I get is that it's geared toward all Mac shops, such as design and audio studies. I've never even seen anyone use it.

Having said that, I don't understand the hatred towards Macs. I prefer Windows for reasons I've listed earlier, but it's a decent product that clearly meets the needs of a lot of people. I think the only dislike I have is directed towards some of Apples annoying policies.

Agreed. I don't Apple is targeting the Enterprise Enviroment. Some desigers like them, but even years ago I built a PC that outperformed the Mac and was less cost. They do have a place, but it just depends on the business model.

Speaking of Mac's anyone seen this yet?
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=7B723660&node=home/shop_mac/family/macbook_air

.76" of an inch thick....dang....I'd be afraid I'd drop it off a table thinking it was just some books.
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, I actually started a thread about that: http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30325

What I didn't know originally was that the .76" was the thickest part (hinges I assume) of the notebook. They actually list the specs as: Height: 0.16-0.76 inch (0.4-1.94 cm). That means that the thinnest part is about 5/32" (0.156). I'd be more worried about snapping it in half as I opened it icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    Sorry I missed your thread there. icon_sad.gif Thanks for posting the link.

It looked like on the commercial that it was tappered to the edges making the center the thickest. It probably has titanium comments like so many systems these days. Very sleek, but for me...I like a little more size so I don't destroy it. Sure would turn heads though!

And for Apple...it's not priced too out-of-line. Starts at $1799 and $3499 (?). So, resonable for them. Too much for me. I have a client already looking at it, because he has users that want the lightest...largest notebook available....targeting under 2lbs. (yes it's been fun looking for something usable and light ) :)
    Plantwiz
    _____