Options

Thinking about a second job

Hey guys, I was just thinking about getting a second job and I was wondering if any of you had any such experiences in IT. Some background...

I work 12 hour shifts doing enterprise server hosting support. Basically I answer calls and help customers and their IT guys achieve their solutions on Unix systems. I work 3 days a week, then off 4. Then I work 4 days a week, then off 3. This schedule happens alternately, so I find myself with 3 and 4 days off per week alternately. The nature of the work gives me a lot of free time while I'm in the office also.

I'm a very active person so all of this real and perceived free time is driving me a little bit crazy. So I'm tweaking the old resume and posting it around again in the hopes of finding the perfect part time job to compliment my schedule (and finances icon_smile.gif). I plan on screening very heavily on the basis of salary and work schedule, shooting for a telecommuting job. I anticipate it being very difficult to land such a gig, but I do have a full-time job. So, there's no rush or urgency.

I'll let you guys know how successful I am. Maybe some of you have considered this and it will help you out. In the meantime, any suggestions or thoughts?

Comments