Options

Question and Intro

phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
Hey all. I started out in the academy back in 2004 and finished CCNA 1 & 2 at that time. Fast forward 4 years, I'm working on my BS in Technical Managment with an emphasis in Network and Communication Management. I'm currently taking the CCNA 4 (WAN Technologies course) but it's running off of the old curriculumn.

My understanding is that the newer exams don't contain much about ISDN and few other topics, instead they contain wireless and security questions. Up until now i'd been studying my old CCNA 1 & 2 book and the 3 & 4 books. My wife picked me up the "CCNA Flash Cards" book for the 802 exam (ISBN: 1-58720-190-9) which I've been studying. Can anyone recomend any other must reads for this? I'll be relocating within 6 months and would like to knock this out ASAP.

My home lab consists of the following gear as well:

2x 2501's
1x 2960 LAN base image
1x 3550 PoE Enhanced Multi Layer Image

Any advice would be great... sorry if this all has been covered. I just need a little insight.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    First off welcome!

I always reccomend the Cisco Press Exam Certification Guides by Odom. I would also suggest maybe some CBT Nuggets if you have the cash. I wouldn't rush it though just because you are moving. Nothing like waisting $150 on failing. You could get by with that lab but it would be best to have at least three routers and three switches. Good luck on your studies!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Since you are familiar with the material, you should probably just get the Cisco Press books. The Sybex book can be a good way to break into the material, but I've heard it doesn't go as in-depth as the CP books. www.thebryantadvantage.com, Train Signal, and CBT Nuggets are other resources you might want to take a look at.

Great start on the lab. I'm definitely jealous of that 3550. You might want to tack on a third switch, a 2520 for frame relay, a 2509 or 2511 for an access server, and maybe another 2501 or two to max out your frame-relay setup.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I have the oppurtunity to pick up a 2514, I just havent decided if I want to or not yet. Also, I have a third switch, it's much older though... a catalyst 2820 I got from a family member a few years back.

I'll look into the CBT Nuggets and Cybex books/information. Thanks again.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    phantasm,
    phantasm wrote:
    Hey all. I started out in the academy back in 2004 and finished CCNA 1 & 2 at that time. Fast forward 4 years, I'm working on my BS in Technical Managment with an emphasis in Network and Communication Management. I'm currently taking the CCNA 4 (WAN Technologies course) but it's running off of the old curriculumn.

When you mention "CCNA 4", is that course through a Cisco Networking Academy?
    phantasm wrote:
    My understanding is that the newer exams don't contain much about ISDN and few other topics, instead they contain wireless and security questions. Up until now i'd been studying my old CCNA 1 & 2 book and the 3 & 4 books. My wife picked me up the "CCNA Flash Cards" book for the 802 exam (ISBN: 1-58720-190-9) which I've been studying. Can anyone recomend any other must reads for this? I'll be relocating within 6 months and would like to knock this out ASAP.

Only you know the rate that you can learn and absorb the material. How about the "Interconnecting Cisco Network Devices, Part 1 (ICND1): CCNA Exam 640-802 and ICND1 Exam 640-822, 2nd Edition" book from Cisco Press? Here's the link for it.

Source:
    1. Interconnecting Cisco Network Devices, Part 1 (ICND1): CCNA Exam 640-802 and ICND1 Exam 640-822, 2nd Edition - http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587054620
    phantasm wrote:
    My home lab consists of the following gear as well:

2x 2501's
    1x 2960 LAN base image
    1x 3550 PoE Enhanced Multi Layer Image

Any advice would be great... sorry if this all has been covered. I just need a little insight.

Ask your CCNA 4 instructor for equipment advice.