Options

A little insight please...

phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
I work for a large company and make roughly 30k a year. I'm working on my BS degree in technical Managment speciailizng in Network and Communications Management at DeVry. My current duties at my job have me ftp'ing files all day. Thats really it.

I've been invited to put in an application for a university doing PC/Network support. I don't know what the pay would be (it would have to be comparable seeing as i have a family) but would this be a good move to make?

My resume is very bland, 5 yrs. of Military service in 2 seperate branches, field installer for a cable company and this job as an analyst.

I'm struggling to get into the field... it just isn't working. I'm also working on my CCNA at this time.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus

Comments

• Options
    mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
    I certainly think it would be a good move, depending if they offer you the equivalent or more salary. You will learn a lot more doing PC/Network support than FTPing files all day. It will also help build up your resume.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

"The internet is a great way to get on the net." --Bob Dole
  • Options
    iowatechiowatech Member Posts: 120
    Yes, take the job if you can afford the move and all of the costs that go with changing a career. After 6 months or a year you can progress further by getting various networking certifications that will fill in any dead spots in your resume if you feel its nesscesary.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would gauge what opportunities you have with the company you are at now.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    Mishra wrote:

Did that. I have none. Network Engineering requires minimal 10yrs. experience. Network support requires minimal 2yrs experience. Desktop support is a 1 man operation with no budget to add any more employees.

I'm dead in the water here.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    phantasm wrote:
    Mishra wrote:

Did that. I have none. Network Engineering requires minimal 10yrs. experience. Network support requires minimal 2yrs experience. Desktop support is a 1 man operation with no budget to add any more employees.

A large company should have a lot more people than just 1 desktop support tech. Do you work at a remote office? Have you contacted the network support manager and ask for a time to sit and talk with him to see if you can judge what skills you need to get the job at a later date? Did you ask about salary ranges for the current jobs that they have now?

I'm going to generalize here but most people let their anger about their job blind them from the right choice to make. I would be sure that you are confident that a promotion/job change in 1-2 years in the current company you are working for realllly isn't worth it. Don't pass up the opportunity to make 70K in a great position because you didn't fully research your choices.

If it really isn't something you want, then I would start sending my resume to multiple places including the PC support position. Make sure and ask for a phone interview to ask specific questions about the job to make sure you like it. Don't jump into something that you know you won't be happy with.

You may learn something!
  • Options
    Mishra wrote:
    phantasm wrote:
    Mishra wrote:

A large company should have a lot more people than just 1 desktop support tech. Do you work at a remote office? Have you contacted the network support manager and ask for a time to sit and talk with him to see if you can judge what skills you need to get the job at a later date? Did you ask about salary ranges for the current jobs that they have now?

I'm going to generalize here but most people let their anger about their job blind them from the right choice to make. I would be sure that you are confident that a promotion/job change in 1-2 years in the current company you are working for realllly isn't worth it. Don't pass up the opportunity to make 70K in a great position because you didn't fully research your choices.

If it really isn't something you want, then I would start sending my resume to multiple places including the PC support position. Make sure and ask for a phone interview to ask specific questions about the job to make sure you like it. Don't jump into something that you know you won't be happy with.

Thank you again for your reply. My dislike for my job is not blinding me. I work in a Data Center with 2 12000 sq ft computer rooms. We have 1, thats right, 1 person to do Desktop Support.

I have spoken to the network engineering staff and been told by managment that no one gets an interview with less than ten years experience. Thats how it is. The network support staff is also a 2 year prior gig. They prefer helpdesk before hiring into that position.

Neither the help desk nor network support have hired or had any positions open for the last 8 months.
  • Options
    phantasm wrote:
    Mishra wrote:
    phantasm wrote:
    Mishra wrote:

Thank you again for your reply. My dislike for my job is not blinding me. I work in a Data Center with 2 12000 sq ft computer rooms. We have 1, thats right, 1 person to do Desktop Support.

I have spoken to the network engineering staff and been told by managment that no one gets an interview with less than ten years experience. Thats how it is. The network support staff is also a 2 year prior gig. They prefer helpdesk before hiring into that position.

Neither the help desk nor network support have hired or had any positions open for the last 8 months.

If there is no room for advancement and you want to advance, then look for another job. Start applying everywhere you can.

You may learn something!
  • Options
    silentc1015silentc1015 Member Posts: 128
    Learn a scripting language to automate or simplify the tedious ftp'ing! I'm sort of kidding....but not really. Advancing in IT is all about spotting situations like this and capitalizing. If you really think there's no opportunity to advance then look elsewhere. But many opportunities to shine and advance may be right under your nose, like this one appears to be.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    phantasm wrote:
    I work for a large company and make roughly 30k a year. I'm working on my BS degree in technical Managment speciailizng in Network and Communications Management at DeVry. My current duties at my job have me ftp'ing files all day. Thats really it.

I've been invited to put in an application for a university doing PC/Network support. I don't know what the pay would be (it would have to be comparable seeing as i have a family) but would this be a good move to make?

My resume is very bland, 5 yrs. of Military service in 2 seperate branches, field installer for a cable company and this job as an analyst.

I'm struggling to get into the field... it just isn't working. I'm also working on my CCNA at this time.

Might be time for a move. Good luck with the job hunting. While you are still in the present gig use any spare time you get there to press on with the CCNA. Ask the network guys there if they have any surplus gear you can learn on. Just one router is better than none, that's how I started back in 1999.
  • Options
    livenliven Member Posts: 918
    Learn a scripting language to automate or simplify the tedious ftp'ing! I'm sort of kidding....but not really. Advancing in IT is all about spotting situations like this and capitalizing. If you really think there's no opportunity to advance then look elsewhere. But many opportunities to shine and advance may be right under your nose, like this one appears to be.

THis is a good idea.

Why?

Two reasons, one you will be able to learn an new language. This will make your job easier, will give you more to put on your resume, and might impress your boss. Also it will give you more time at work to perhaps study? It is a win win situation. You might have to keep study on the low down to keep them from thinking that they don't need you (once you have your scripts perfected). Also you could tweak the scripts to produce e-mailed logs giving status updates etc...

Then in your new found free time start working on another project or certification etc.
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • Options
    We don't have the rights to run scripts on the main frame. I looked into this option. Right now my free time is spent doing hw and studying for the CCNA.