Options

VWIC-2MFT-T1 and WIC-1B-U cards worth using?

aaronjaaronj Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am starting to build my lab for the CCNA and I have a couple of cards that will work in a 2600 router. I noticed that a lot of people go with the WIC-T1 card but I have a VWIC-2MFT-T1 card which is duel ethernet which most of you probably already know. And the WIC-1B-U is for ISDN which is no longer on the test but I figure it wouldn't hurt to know a little something about this technology.

Anyways to sum up my question, are these good cards to put in a 2610 router or should I look for something else. I currently have ordered two 2501 and one 2610 routers. I still have to purchase a 2950 switch.

Comments

• Options
    eleguaelegua Member Posts: 282
    Hi,

just to let you know, the VWIC-2MFT-T1 card is not a dual ethernet car, the VWIC-2MFT-T1 / 2-Port RJ-48 Multiflex Trunk - T1 is used for a T1 networks, this is not an ethernet card.

Hope this help. icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif
  • Options
    phreakphreak Member Posts: 170 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The VWIC-2MFT-T1 is a multiflex T1 card.....

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/116/t1_wic4.html

It may appear as an ethernet card because of the RJ45-style connector. It's actually called an RF-48. The T1 data is passed on the blue and orange pairs.

To use these cards you'll need another router with another T1 CSU/DSU card. I'd suggest another 2-port card so you can practice bundling of the T's.

You'll also need to make yourself a set of T-1 crossover cables. To do this, wire one side 568B. On the other end, put the orange pair where the blue normally goes and blue pair where the orange goes.

You'll also need to set one of the routers to clock source internal so it generates the time sync, and the other one can remain as is, because it'll draw clock from the line.

I could go on and on. :)

EDIT: I should point out that I do advocate the use of T1 CSU/DSUs for cert lab work because in my experience you'll see T cards before you'll use a serial interface line most of the gear people buy has....
  • Options
    aaronjaaronj Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    phreak wrote:
    The VWIC-2MFT-T1 is a multiflex T1 card.....

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/116/t1_wic4.html

It may appear as an ethernet card because of the RJ45-style connector. It's actually called an RF-48. The T1 data is passed on the blue and orange pairs.

To use these cards you'll need another router with another T1 CSU/DSU card. I'd suggest another 2-port card so you can practice bundling of the T's.

You'll also need to make yourself a set of T-1 crossover cables. To do this, wire one side 568B. On the other end, put the orange pair where the blue normally goes and blue pair where the orange goes.

You'll also need to set one of the routers to clock source internal so it generates the time sync, and the other one can remain as is, because it'll draw clock from the line.

I could go on and on. :)

EDIT: I should point out that I do advocate the use of T1 CSU/DSUs for cert lab work because in my experience you'll see T cards before you'll use a serial interface line most of the gear people buy has....

Thanks a lot for the helpful information! I'll go ahead and get me another VWIC-2MFT-T1 card then so I can simulate using that technology.
  • Options
    phreakphreak Member Posts: 170 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have no clue what the hell my last few words were trying to say in my post.... lol

Really you dont have to run T1 cards. I just have found that it should probably be done more often, because T-1's are still widely used. Its good to know how to configure a T1 interface even though its not tested on (i dont think)....but once the interface is configured you get a serial 0 or whatever it may be which you DO need to know how to configure. I like to get as much realism into the simulations that I can because it makes it that much better. You never know.... doing t1's instead of serial links like everyone else does might make/break the interview for a job or position you are applying for!