Options

Am I not suitable for programming jobs anymore?

davidvoyagedavidvoyage Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

In this thread, I just want to make sure that if I'm really not suitable to programming job anymore.

I'm a fresh grad(in computer science) and 2 months ago I worked in a game company. Since I'm new, they assigned me to some so called "easy" game interface programming with Visual Studio 2005 (C++). The project contains around hundreds of .cpp files and and I've to deal with files that have around 50000 lines or more.

Interface programming is like, simply moving/creating/adding effects to some buttons and boxes size, adding text into buttons/boxes in the game etc..

Back in University, my prof told me that always put comments on EACH method and variables.
However in my job, they didn't put much comments in their methods so I've a super hard time to find /located where the method and variable are. Once I found the method I'm looking for, I've trouble to implement the feature (like not 100% working properly). I ended up spending a week to simply add a single effect to all the buttons(and couldn't finish it). My lead programmer told me that my programming skill is "weaker than expected".

Honestly, during the last 2 months I feel the whole process of programming very frustrated and I don't enjoy it at all. (suffering instead).

People told me that being a programmer require a certain "type" of person. So is that all a sign that I'm NOT that "type" of person?

Once I know whether or not I'm suitable for programming, then I'll move to networking or business field instead.

Comments

• Options
    jbayne3jbayne3 Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I hate programming icon_smile.gif

Well, not totally, but I rather not be a developer. Systems and networking are more fun in my opinion. Positively though, if you do like to program, you can still use those skills in networking and systems with scripting. I've seen some wiley engineers put together some very useful scripts.

Also, if you find a smaller company, it is possible that you can get into networking and still be a programmer. At my current job, my manager knew I did some programming in college, so he asked if I could build a small database where we can record all of our system changes. It was pretty cool...I ended up buidling a front-end website with a small backend MySQL database using HTML, Javascript, PHP, and SQL.

Good luck though in your choices!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'll agree that some people are inherently better suited for programming than others. How did you do in college? Did you struggle or did you find the experience enjoyable and fun? I would imagine that if you were not the programming "type," it would have been apparent long before now. How would you describe your logic, problem solving, math, reasoning, etc. skills?

If you simply can't wade through 50k lines of code with little-to-no documentation or comments, I would chalk that up to a lack of experience. Maybe it is relatively straight-forward code for an experienced interface programmer, but if this type of work is a bit foreign to you, it is understandable that you will struggle a bit.

I wasn't a CSci student, but I took some programming classes and went over the curriculum. I'm not sure about your program, but this one didn't really seem to develop "real-world" programming skills. You might need to put in some serious self-study time in order to hone your skills for your new position. I'd discuss this matter candidly with your lead programmer and see if he/she has any suggestions for what you should do.

If you like programming, stick with it. Even if you're not a natural, you can probably develop or improve your weaker skills if you're willing to put in some extra effort. If you're finding you just don't like programming in general, then maybe it is time to move on to something else.
  • Options
    Thx for your replies guys.

Well I'm quitting that job next week. And planning to look for another job. (so I've to decide if I should continue programming or not)

Few years ago when I was in pre-University, I love programming and I enjoyed it. But then when I went to University, I start to struggle a bit in programming. For example, I need 50 hours to finished 1 programming assignment which can be done by 30-35 hours normally. And during that time I have to concentrate on my programming assignment only(cannot do other assignments). I actually thought of changing program, but it was at my 2nd/3rd year when I start to realize all these.

Do I have the logic? Yeah I guess, if not then I couldn't graduate. However, I think I feel more like suffering when I encounter problems/bugs in programming. When my collegue encounter a bug, he goes like: "Interesting! :D " and I'm like "oh no, not again icon_confused.gif".
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Programming is like writing in a foreign language; the more fluent you are in the language the easier the writing for you will be. The same is true for composing music and performing math calculations. The only way to get better at music or math or programming is to practice it. Yes, some people have a greater aptitude for programming than other people, just as some people are naturally more athletic than others. And just as there are many different types of sports, there are many different types of programming. You may have yet to find what you are good or best at.

It sounds like what you were doing is very basic and fundamental stuff. Nothing impossible to learn, it's just that you need more time to learn it. Rather than say your programming skills are "weaker than expected," it would be more accurate to say that you are "more inexperienced at C#/.NET programming than desired." Once again, nothing impossible, it just takes time and practice.

Keep at it. Success and accomplishment have a way of making programming fun, and you've experienced little of either so far. If you find that you genuinely do not like to immersing yourself in the complex, problem-solving nature of software engineering, you do have the options to move in QA, IT, or (eventually) management.
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Your prof was right, commenting in programming should be second nature and I can't beleive it is not being used in this production environment.....

Keep at it.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I had a programming heavy curriculum in my BS program, and I hated it. However, im finding its much different in the real world.

I know you're already leaving, but maybe it would have been a good idea to see if one of the many MS programming courses would have helped you. Intelligent people can pick up anything, they just need to be shown a few things. If your employer just left it at "your a weak programmer", perhaps they dont value you as an employee because there should be some type of mentoring process, and it would be worth their time and money to train you a little rather than can you (or let you can yourself) and hire a newb. Maybe it was a personal problem, or a communication problem...only you know.

If your problem was with the people there, stick with programming is my advice. If your problem is with the work itself, then its time to rethink what you want to do.
  • Options
    GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
    A lot of programming is just reusing functions/methods/classes and learning algorithms.

If you master algorithms and the use of algorithms you will become an excellent programmer.

If you are involved in redoing somebodys code with no comments I feel bad for you.

This is why I chose Systems/Networking/Computer Tech work. Its way funner and we get to do some light programming(scripting) as well.

Systems Engineer is really the best of both worlds.
    CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I hate programming icon_smile.gif

Well, not totally, but I rather not be a developer. Systems and networking are more fun in my opinion.

Here here! i agree with this comment 100% icon_lol.gif

my lecturer argued with me that you HAD to know programming otherwise you could make it in the networking world! can you believe it!

It goes to show you how the real world can be different to the academic side at times. This is where i feel university degree's dont excel because they think everything works the way they teach it.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    University world is like. You don't have to make your program work 100%. You can still got most of the mark if your program works 9 out of 10 functions required by the assignment. However, in the real-world, your program has to work 100% all the time.....*sigh*

Anyway, I also learn networking before (I was studying toward a Network+ certification) and I must say I enjoy it. The only problem (which is a HUGE problem for me) in networking is the fact that I need a driver license to do tech support and also we have to start up with call centers jobs. Also, it seems i prefer those jobs that we can sit in an office room...and I think networking is not like that...
  • Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    nel wrote:
    This is where i feel university degree's dont excel because they think everything works the way they teach it.

What does this mean?
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]