Options

SUS or WSUS

7029070290 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

Can anyone confirm if SUS or WSUS is in the current 70-290. All the material I've been using to prep for the exams has referred to SUS but after speaking to a colleague, they've said that sometimes the exams are updated.. which has worried me a little icon_sad.gif

I've got my exam within the next week so while I guess I can learn WSUS as well, I'd like to know for sure that it's relevant or just a waste of time (as far as the exam goes - I know that in practice it's not a waste).

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There isn't a lot of sus/wsus on the 290. It's covered thoroughly in 291. General information should be enough to get you by. Read up on both if you're feeling nervous. It's pretty straight-forward and easy material. You won't have any problems as long as you're familiar with it.
  • Options
    doom969doom969 Member Posts: 304
    Best advice for Wsus is : Install it and configure it. icon_eek.gif Once you have it up and running, you should know all you have to for both 290 and 291.

Too often people try to just read on it and remember everything from a book or web page they saw. Seriously, its not long too install and not hard to configure. If you play wih it you will remember far more than if you just read ! :D

Good luck on your exam, i'm sure you will nail it.
    Doom969
    MCITP (EST - EA ) - MCT
    A+ - IBM - SBSS2K3 - CISCO_SMB
    CompTIA : A+
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    All the exams test on WSUS now. Although it is covered more in depth on 291, I recall several questions about WSUS from my 290 exam.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Claymoore wrote:
    All the exams test on WSUS now. Although it is covered more in depth on 291, I recall several questions about WSUS from my 290 exam.

The upgrade exams use SUS still. The rest use WSUS. At least this was how it was a few months ago.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    Dracula28Dracula28 Member Posts: 232
    On the subject of WSUS, I have no prior experience with it. In the 70-290 kit, is it being refered to WSUS 2.0 or 3.0?

Because the training kit talks about administering WSUS through internet explorer, by pointing the browser to http://wsus_server/WSUSAdmin

But that site does not seem to exist when I look for it in IIS. And if I start WSUS services MMC from the administrative tools, I get to configure the WSUS server, I seem to remember there being mentions of wsus being administered through mmc and not a web browser, is this correct (atleast for wsus 3.0?) or am I doing something wrong?
    Current certs: MCP (210) MCSA (270, 290, 291 and 680) MCTS (680, 640)
  • Options
    bluey424bluey424 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    WSUS 3 doesn't use the web-based administration, it's configured from the snap-in. It still uses IIS, I am not 100% clear for what but from what I've heard it still passes info through it on the back-end. No web page will show up.

So if they're referring to the WSUSAdmin site, then they're referring to 2.
    Current Focus: CCNP (BCMSN)
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    bluey424 wrote:
    It still uses IIS, I am not 100% clear for what but from what I've heard it still passes info through it on the back-end.

Clients and other WSUS servers download the updates via HTTP, just like they would if they were getting them from MS.
  • Options
    Dracula28Dracula28 Member Posts: 232
    I wonder whether the exam will ask questions about WSUS 3.0 or 2.0, because there is a slight difference between the two. I'm keeping track of both at the moment, but it would be easier if I could disregard 2.0, which is outdated now, and just concentrate on 3.0.
    Current certs: MCP (210) MCSA (270, 290, 291 and 680) MCTS (680, 640)
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dracula28 wrote:
    I wonder whether the exam will ask questions about WSUS 3.0 or 2.0, because there is a slight difference between the two. I'm keeping track of both at the moment, but it would be easier if I could disregard 2.0, which is outdated now, and just concentrate on 3.0.

Unless they updated the exam since WSUS 3.0 came out then keep studying v2.0.
    My bet is 2.0 is what is on the exam.
    All things are possible, only believe.