Options

CCNP Experience

homerj742homerj742 Member Posts: 251
Hey everyone,
I am currently a CCNA and am working my way to finish the MCSE 2k3 track. I began my current job about 7-8 months ago in hopes of getting more hands on, real world cisco experience (as a backup to the current "Cisco guy"), along with server support (my primary role).

Unfortunately due to some restructuring, all cisco equipment is being handled by someone else and I primarily handle Servers, backups and such.

My question is, do you have any advice as to how I can get some more Cisco experience while still holding my current job? I would like to pursue CCNP, however I feel the cert won't be as strong w/o more real world experience on my resume. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you guys!

Comments

• Options
    nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
    cisco is all about configuring routers and switches and sometimes Configuring Ip phones If you want to talk about voice.

You don't have to wait till someone gives you an opportunity. You can create your own experience by buying routers and switches and studying.
    My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
    http://techintuition.com/
  • Options
    That's part of my plan, but getting references to say that about my resume is another story. I'm going to do my best!

start renting out rack time for my CCNP exams, and maybe put together a lab :)
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    definitely get a lab or really good sim, but i think nothing beats the hands on of having real equipment
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    definitely get a lab or really good sim, but i think nothing beats the hands on of having real equipment

+1 A lab is great and all if you have the cash flow for one that will be scalable for future studies. But if you have some experience with the actual platforms and everything in between and you are trying to home in on new skills, commands, and technologies just to sharpen up a bit, then GNS3 or Dynamips\Dynagen will due.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    nice343 wrote:
    You can create your own experience by buying routers and switches and studying.

from having my own lab, then getting a job installing cisco equipment. There is really hands down no comparison. Creating routing in your home with a back to back dce/dte cable is nothing like in the real world imo
    i herd u leik mudkips lol
  • Options
    Aquabat wrote:
    nice343 wrote:
    You can create your own experience by buying routers and switches and studying.

from having my own lab, then getting a job installing cisco equipment. There is really hands down no comparison. Creating routing in your home with a back to back dce/dte cable is nothing like in the real world imo

Even with a home lab, I'm sure it's vastly different in the real world. Is it worth dropping all that money? or am I better off renting rack time?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd say its worth the money to have your own equipment. Nothing sticks it in your head like doing it for real.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    o yea it's definitly worth it to have a lab all the way .just start small and build it up slowly
    i herd u leik mudkips lol
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For a great low-dough solution to a lab just run dynamips with an appropriate image (one with the features you're trying to study) and maybe buy a switch or two.

The BCMSN is all about L3 switching and what have you. Learning the commands is about getting your fingers used to typing the commands. You can do that in a DOS prompt or notepad for about $800 less than a layer 3 switch.

I have a full blown Cisco lab that I turn on once in a blue moon. I have two 7206vxrs, two 2600's, and a 25xx series and the only router I use is the 2621 for my cable modem connection. Dynamips is just too easy to use by comparison.

The only real use I got out of my physical lab is doing various "non cert" tasks, like seeing how fast I can do a password recovery or hardware swap.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/