Options

SCSI card, what PCI-Express type ?!?

CorySCoryS Member Posts: 208
Ok I need to order a pci-express scsi card for a tape drive... I found one that I think would work but heres where my problem is...

Can a 4x card fit into a 1x slot? I think these are the types of slots on the mobo but I am no 100% (I am waiting on these numbers, hopefully I will get them today)

I thought you could fit these things into any pci-e slot and the only hit you would take is a potential fall in bandwidth to the card.. Of course this comes from blind ignorance and lack of using these cards enough to know.

Thanks for your help!
MCSE tests left: 294, 297 |

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This is probably a good starting place for you: http://www.naplestech.com/shopcart/bus_speeds.asp
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Do you have a PCI-X or a PCI-Express?

PCI-Express you'll need to match your 1x, 2x, 4x, 16x to the card....though there are few if any 2x. Mostly only see 1x and 16x.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Plantwiz wrote:
    PCI-Express you'll need to match your 1x, 2x, 4x, 16x to the card....though there are few if any 2x. Mostly only see 1x and 16x.

Actually, you can put the smaller cards (e.g. 1x) in larger slots (e.g. 4x).
    Wikipedia wrote:
    PCIe slots come in a variety of sizes referred to by the maximum lane count they support. A larger card will not fit in a smaller slot but a smaller card can be used in a larger slot. The number of lanes actually connected may be smaller than the number supported by the slot size. While a 16-lane card cannot be used in an 8-lane slot, it can be used in a 16-lane slot with only 8 lanes connected. The number of lanes is "negotiated" during power-up or explicitly during operation. By making the lane count flexible a single standard can provide for the needs of high-bandwidth cards (e.g. graphics cards, 10 gigabit ethernet cards and multiport gigabit ethernet cards) while also being economical for less demanding cards.

I probably should have included the Wikipedia link in my original post as well.

As noted in the Wikipedia quote, be sure to keep an eye on the lane-count as well. You'll occasionally come across, for example, an 8x slot that only has 4x power/bandwidth.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I looked for a PCIe SCSI card one time and had trouble finding one, had to use PCI-X instead. Adaptec has a PCIe version of their 29320 card, it's PCIe x1 for 68-pin LVD if that works for you:

http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/products/scsi_tech/entry/ASC-29320LPE/
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    CorySCoryS Member Posts: 208
    Alright fellers, thanks for the links, found out our slot was a 4x so we went with one from hp for 200 bucks. I wasnt sure if the compatibility went from 1x - 16x or the other way around. So like Dynamic has posted, if you have a 4x slot you can put a 4x or a 1x card in there. Hopefully the one we got works ok. icon_wink.gif
    MCSE tests left: 294, 297 |