Options

Dynamips - did i forget something

shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
Alright well I've started to try and run dynamips now to compliment my lab I have currently...I installed GNS3 and everything is running fine.

When i go into emulation mode and run the IOS it will spike my CPU at 100% and stay there...I first did it on my one system with an Athlon XP 2600, so I said ok it's nothing great I have my 3GHz Pentium D to run in on, and it did the same thing. The Pentium D also seems to run hotter i normally idle at 45 C and the temp spikes up above 65 if I run the IOS here as well.

Has anyone else had any issues similar to this?? I have a decent heat sink and fan for the processor it could be better but I'm just wondering if there's something I did wrong.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Did you set an idle pc value (idlepc in the net file or save in DB option) for the IOS image(s) you're using?

I loaded GNS3 and didn't think it was worth the effort. I'm sticking with just Dynamips and Dynagen.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    hmm forgot to set that....whats the best value to set it at?
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The value that works the best :D

I just followed the instructions on the Dynagen website and tried the "suggested values" when there was more than one and used the one that gave me the smallest CPU usage. I think there are "standard values" for specific IOS image files -- but the value will be different for an uncompressed image than the original compressed image.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote:
    Did you set an idle pc value (idlepc in the net file or save in DB option) for the IOS image(s) you're using?

I loaded GNS3 and didn't think it was worth the effort. I'm sticking with just Dynamips and Dynagen.

What? I think it's really cool.....It's better than having to reference your .net file or drawing out your own topology to keep everything in order with large topologies. PLus building the .net file takes like less than half the time. It's better than Boson's netmap designer. I guess when you have been doing it long enough you can keep all that in your head. WHen I'm creating a frame network with 6 or 7 DTE's I need something to reference and GNS3 is perfect. GNS3 is a lot easier to setup when you download the complete GNS3/Dynamips/Dynagen package as one.

Shednik,
    once you console in to the router go into enable mode. Then go back to Dynagen, or in GNS3, type in "idlepc get R1" if R1 is the name of the router you just consoled into. Then do "idlepc save R1 DB". ALso make sure all other instances are suspended. GEt the values one at a time. Some say that it's better to get the idlepc value before going into enable mode but I have found otherwise.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    GNS3 adds way too much over head. I can run a lot more routers using Dynamips/Dynagen. No need for all the gui stuff, just a waste of your computers recources.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Netstudent wrote:
    Shednik,
    once you console in to the router go into enable mode. Then go back to Dynagen, or in GNS3, type in "idlepc get R1" if R1 is the name of the router you just consoled into. Then do "idlepc save R1 DB". ALso make sure all other instances are suspended. GEt the values one at a time. Some say that it's better to get the idlepc value before going into enable mode but I have found otherwise.

Thanks netstudent I'll give that a try if not is there a good tutorial out there for using just dynamips/dynagen that any of you guys recommend?
  • Options
    Dynamips/Dynagen tutorial comes with the installation. You can also get it here on the Dynagen website . Its pretty simple once you get the hang of it.
  • Options
    happy420goluckyhappy420golucky Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Dynamips/Dynagen tutorial comes with the installation. You can also get it here on the Dynagen website . Its pretty simple once you get the hang of it.

I just wanted to throw in a line or two on this thread. I just now got GNS3 working on my computer yesterday. I am already a huge fan. I have my own lab at home, but this to me beats out the lab *moving cables, nic cards, cords, etc is a pain in the azz*. I just love having a network right on my laptop right at my fingertips that can practically go to any cofee shop, or sit around at work and lab it up.

I agree with "Netstudent", the gui is nice and being able to map out a topology visually is nice too. I am one of those guys that like to use the whiteboards when I network. So it helps. Anyways, good luck shednik!!

Now I need to read through some threads to figure out what tweaks let's me run the most routers. Take care :)
    Every passing minute is a chance to turn it all around.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Listening to these "Cisco" guys rave about a GUI is going to make me sick! drunken_smilie.gif
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dtlokee wrote:
    Listening to these "Cisco" guys rave about a GUI is going to make me sick! drunken_smilie.gif

I was thinking the same thing...

Guys,
    GNS3 is crap for a couple reasons. For one it DOES waste resources, BAD. Two, the first time you create a big lab, run it, configure a bunch of crap, save it, then open it, only to find out it can't open a lab it saved because it for is in the wrong damn format or corrupt or whatever, you WILL change your mind about it usefulness. ..And three, come on, does it really save you that much time? Really, how hard is it to type F1/0 = RTR2 F1/0 in a dynamips config?

Dynamips runs better, and at the very least, your configs don't get screwed up after saving them. Just my nickel worth, do with it what you will. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    dtlokee wrote:

It does make it easier but it looks like it isn't worth having I just have to get used to setting up the topology.
  • Options
    Well, I know that others on this thread prefer the dynagen/dynamips load instead of the GNS3 for it's GUI interface.
    So I tried to install it here on my machine. I followed the intstructions and put a 3725 ios image where the image is supposed to go. No dice..... this program won't load the simple lab scenarios, nor start the routers in the frame relay scenario..... wtf man!!!

Also, I learned how to adjust the idle pc values while working on GNS3 and that helped my proc. My memory is still maxed out hardcore though. Is there really a difference when it comes to memory when using gns3 or dynagen? I would figure that there really wouldn't be, since both would have to uncompress the IOS image into memory. Input anyone?
  • Options
    I run about 10 routers on my lap top (1.7GHz cpu and 1gig ram running Vista) with Dynagen/Dynamips. I couldn't get more than four running with GNS3 even after about an hour of trying to get the damn ghostios option to work. Alos the .net files are so easy to set up there really is no need for the GUI. I just draw my network diagram on a piece of paper (I know not high tech enough for some!) for reference.
  • Options
    I run about 10 routers on my lap top (1.7GHz cpu and 1gig ram running Vista) with Dynagen/Dynamips. I couldn't get more than four running with GNS3 even after about an hour of trying to get the damn ghostios option to work. Alos the .net files are so easy to set up there really is no need for the GUI. I just draw my network diagram on a piece of paper (I know not high tech enough for some!) for reference.

ok, now I am able to finally get those two routers set up from the simple lab. Now I am trying to figure out how to edit the lab files to set up a network like your 10 routers. Do you think you could paste on this forum your .net file setup?
  • Options
    Its simple just open your .net file in a text editor and add as many routers as you want. If you read through the tutorial that comes with it it explains everything.
  • Options
    I have not used GNS3 much but I would say if that is what works for you then stick with it. No need giving up what works due to peer pressure... if we all did that we'd all have a Mac (Mac owners seem to be the most vocal about how great their Mac is and aweful any PC they've ever use happens to be)
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□

ok, now I am able to finally get those two routers set up from the simple lab. Now I am trying to figure out how to edit the lab files to set up a network like your 10 routers. Do you think you could paste on this forum your .net file setup?

Here is a simple .NET file I use most of the time unless I'm looking to do something very specific: :)

ghostios = True
    sparsemem = True
    autostart = False

[localhost:7200]
    workingdir = C:\DynamipsLabs\ISIS\Working

image = C:\IOS\C7200-JS-MZ.124-18.image
    npe = npe-400
    ram = 160
    nvram = 512
    confreg = 0x2102
    midplane = vxr
    idlepc = 0x6077b338

ROUTER RTR_A
    console = 2001
    slot1 = PA-2FE-TX
    slot2 = PA-8T
    model = 7200
    F1/0 = RTR_B F1/0
    S2/0 = FrSw S1/1
    S2/1 = RTR_C S2/1

ROUTER RTR_B
    console = 2002
    slot1 = PA-2FE-TX
    slot2 = PA-8T
    model = 7200
    S2/1 = RTR_D S2/1

ROUTER RTR_C
    console = 2003
    slot1 = PA-2FE-TX
    slot2 = PA-8T
    model = 7200
    F1/0 = RTR_D F1/0
    S2/0 = FrSw S1/3

ROUTER RTR_D
    console = 2004
    slot1 = PA-2FE-TX
    slot2 = PA-8T
    model = 7200

ROUTER RTR_E
    console = 2005
    slot1 = PA-2FE-TX
    slot2 = PA-8T
    model = 7200
    F1/0 = RTR_F F1/0
    S2/0 = FrSw S1/5
    S2/1 = RTR_G S2/1

ROUTER RTR_F
    console = 2006
    slot1 = PA-2FE-TX
    slot2 = PA-8T
    model = 7200
    S2/1 = RTR_H S2/1

ROUTER RTR_G
    console = 2007
    slot1 = PA-2FE-TX
    slot2 = PA-8T
    model = 7200
    F1/0 = RTR_H F1/0
    S2/0 = FrSw S1/7

ROUTER RTR_H
    console = 2008
    slot1 = PA-2FE-TX
    slot2 = PA-8T
    model = 7200

ROUTER FrSw
    autostart = True
    console = 2009
    slot1 = PA-8T
    model = 7200
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What is wierd for me is, I have a home PC that is single core 1.6Ghz with 512 Megs of RAM. Nothing monstrous but it serves my home purposes. I'm not a gamer. I can run about 6 devices on this machine with dynamips/dynagen no problem.

ON the other hand, I have a brand new gateway laptop that is dual core 2.0Ghz, 1 gig of RAM, and I can;t even load 2 frikin devices WITH idlepc values. It goes so damn slow on my laptop that it takes 30 seconds to spit out "no shut" I couldn;t even get the newest build of dynamips to boot an image, I had to DL an older release. I don't get it.

So I gave GNS3 a go on my work PC, which is a Pentium4 Dual core 3.0Ghz, 1.5 gigs of RAM, and I can run 10 devices no probelm with GNS3. The type of topology I labbed up with GNS3 in 10minutes would have taken me 2 hours on my own with all the syntax tweaks and what not.

I still have my physcial lab that I use weekly. When I want to do some quick routing protocol configs or VLANS, I use that. IF I want to lab up a big frame-relay lab, that I just don't have the hardware for, then it's GNS3 or dynamips depending on how complicated I want to make it.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    Netstudent wrote:
    What is wierd for me is, I have a home PC that is single core 1.6Ghz with 512 Megs of RAM. Nothing monstrous but it serves my home purposes. I'm not a gamer. I can run about 6 devices on this machine with dynamips/dynagen no problem.

ON the other hand, I have a brand new gateway laptop that is dual core 2.0Ghz, 1 gig of RAM, and I can;t even load 2 frikin devices WITH idlepc values. It goes so damn slow on my laptop that it takes 30 seconds to spit out "no shut" I couldn;t even get the newest build of dynamips to boot an image, I had to DL an older release. I don't get it.

So I gave GNS3 a go on my work PC, which is a Pentium4 Dual core 3.0Ghz, 1.5 gigs of RAM, and I can run 10 devices no probelm with GNS3. The type of topology I labbed up with GNS3 in 10minutes would have taken me 2 hours on my own with all the syntax tweaks and what not.

I still have my physcial lab that I use weekly. When I want to do some quick routing protocol configs or VLANS, I use that. IF I want to lab up a big frame-relay lab, that I just don't have the hardware for, then it's GNS3 or dynamips depending on how complicated I want to make it.

That's crazy that your work computer works better. I myself had asked for a .net file to kinda build off of for dynagen/dynamips. I can't run GNS3 on my work laptop, but I can run GNS3 on my home rig no problem. I think it helps that I am a gamer and have some pretty beefy hardware. So I am like, you I loaded up a 12 router scenario on GNS3 with no problem.
    Just setting up the .net file for Dynagen is too me in my opinion a pain in the Azz. I am really just trying to get it working so I can have a running laptop to take to some coffee shops around here and do some of my study's on the go. Anyways, thaks for the replys and .net configs.
  • Options
    dtlokee wrote:
    I have not used GNS3 much but I would say if that is what works for you then stick with it. No need giving up what works due to peer pressure... if we all did that we'd all have a Mac (Mac owners seem to be the most vocal about how great their Mac is and aweful any PC they've ever use happens to be)

haha, that's funnny i missed this! I know of this outspoken Mac-society you speak of, they are spawning up everywhere!!!
  • Options
    geezergeezer Member Posts: 136
    Hi

I am trying to get a handle on creating Net configurations in dynamips - but where/what are the options/syntax to use, e.g. for a 2610 for example - memory/modules etc ?

I have looked at the 'hacki' website and am getting a better understanding but still a lot more questions than answers.

TIA

P.S. The recommended router requirements for the Cisco 'Self-study guide (by Teare) is 2811's but it looks like dynamips doesn't support this but just 2610, 2611, 2620, 2621, 2610XM, 2620XM, 2621XM, 2650XM and 2651XM.
    I used to be undecided but now I'm not so sure.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't!
  • Options
    A list of supported routers and everything you need to get it up a running here on the Dynagen Tutorial
  • Options
    The ISR (1800, 2800,3800) use advancd hardware switching that cannot be reproduced (currently) in Dynamips. This is same reason why you can't simulate switches.