Options

Certification Direction For Software Developer

New UserNew User Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
Any thoughts on which certifications to pursue if I want to be a developer of software? I know that microsoft offers certifications but it seems that these are aimed at creating business solutions.

I must admit that I'm interested in creating video games (among other things). So does anyone have any suggestions as far as what sort of certifications may help me to achieve this goal? It does seem likely that a portfolio of my current work in the field would be best but I was just wondering if there was any certifications that may be helpful.

Comments

• Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    Video Games involve more graphics and "graphics programming" than simple straight forward OOP programing. If you're relatively new in the field, you might want to consider getting a good grasp of OOP programming first; then move on to graphics creation, and finally connect the pieces together in order to make a real game.

I personally believe dealing with graphics is way harder than crancking out a few lines of code. It takes a lot of creative skills before you can endeavor to come up with something that works. I'm sure making games is something great and fun :)

I'm not aware of any Industry-Renown technical certifications on video programming; however, if you wish to pursue the knowledge required for accomplished that, there's plenty of knowledge out there to be learned. In fact, Video Games programming (or even all games) is one of the hardest branches of computer programming. Game creators usually have a graphics designer who knows graphics and 3D modeling inside out before they put the game to work. Such people also have really fast computers that can do some real good picture rendering. So.... the graphics part, in itself, is as hard as the rest of it.

2lbs.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Options
    SartanSartan Inactive Imported Users Posts: 152
    Hmm.. From what I hear, game programming doesn't make as much money as other possible avenues. I also hear, that if you get in, you'll be programming some dumbass feature, like a twinkle effect for a menubar. :/ Yeah, just my two cents :D

I'll ask some of my instructors at school tomorrow about a career path for game programming though :)
    Network Tech student, actively learning Windows 2000, Linux, Cisco, Cabling & Internet Security.
  • Options
    New UserNew User Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info friends.
    Sort of confirms my thoughts.

I'm thinking that I'll treat it as a hobby for now and continue to work on small projects and maybe someday try to find myself a place in the field.

Still curious what your instructor has to say though Sartan.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    GhentGhent Member Posts: 310
    I don't know of any certs that are aimed at that, but I do know that Nintendo actually owns a school in Washington state that gives degrees in video game design. The school is called Digi Pen Tech, and from what I've heard, they're very selective with their admittance, but that's about the best I can come up with.
    Prais'd be the fathomless universe, for life and joy, and for objects and knowledge curious.' Whalt Whitman
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Check out the link directory on my other website for more information about game design:

icon_arrow.gifwww.3dvalley.com/phplinks/index.php?PID=32

Besides the link directory, also check out the top banner, it may be exactly what you need.
  • Options
    JOblessELementJOblessELement Member Posts: 134
    Johan:
    Just wanted to say that was a great great GREAT site. Heck, now you've got me considering dropping the cert idea and going for another degree at that online university =)
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.