Options

Multi vlan port configuration!

anisanis Member Posts: 34 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I can do single vlans per port. But, confused about how to do multiport vlans? Well, first of all I need to know the follwoing to start with Multiport Vlan:

1. switch side configuration.
2. Router side configuration.

Well, what is the benifit of doing multivlan on a single port? Do you recommend any web guide or anything to start with.

Thank you.

Anis[/list]

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Are you talking about more than one VLAN on a single port or a VLAN on more than one port?

Using multiple VLANs on a single ports is used for either a voice and data VLAN or a trunk to a device capable of trunking.

Using a VLAN on mulitple ports is self explanitory.

Not sure exactley what you are talking about......
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    hi

I am talking about multiple vlan on the same port which i will be able to use for data/voice . Well, i can configure vlan over several ports across several switch. I searched around the net but no good result.

I have a 3550 switch to play with. Now, i need to know how do I start with. I need to know about switch side and router side config guidence.

plz recommend something.

thank you.
  • Options
    Its a ratehr simple configuration.

switchport access vlan (data vlan)

switchport voice vlan (voice vlan)

Ensure both vlans are allowed on the trunk to your router.

It gets a little deeper when you start utilizing QoS.

You can check the 3550 configuration guide for more information. Make sure you check the guide for your IOS version.
  • Options
    well, you know its very tough sometimes to ask something clearly when you have a hazy knowledge about somethings-that's why i am having problem clarifying my problem.

Anyway, my boss told my to get info about multi vlan on a single port. After that i will have to implement that on a 3550 switch and a 2600 router (which previously I used for normal Vlan testing). I have given considerable time to do that. Now, this can be considered as muli-vlan port configuration test.

Now, i need first to configure:

1. A 3550 swith port for multiple vlans
    2. A 2600 router for intervlan routing.

Previously, I configured 8 vlans over 23 ports this configuration is operational on our isp network. Now, i dont have any clue on how to configure a multi vlan port on switch.

Well, on the router side, is it like just informing about all the vlan's on the subinterface and putting a gateway ip for different different vlan's or there is something else?

Please help.

thank you.
  • Options
    Still not sure what you are trying to do exactly...

If you are putting a voice and data vlan on a port use the config above. On the trunk to the router ensure all vlans are allowed. On the router ensure you have a subinterface or vlan interfaces to serve as default gateways for the vlans. The router and trunk set up will be no different if you are using more than one vlan on the other ports.

You should probably read through some basic vlan and trunking information to get a handle on the technology before trying to configure it.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    anis wrote:
    Now, i dont have any clue on how to configure a multi vlan port on switch.

switchport mode trunk

And since the Router doesn't support DTP, on the switch you may as well also use
    switchport nonegotiate

Make sure your trunking encapsulation is the same on both ends of the connection.

Not sure why you're not using the Layer 3 capability of the 3550 to avoid the router on a stick configuration.

Also check out the router on a stick trunking thread for a router side configuration sample -- or search the CCNA forum for several more examples -- since this is basic CCNA stuff. icon_confused.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!