Options

dual-boot or vmware

bojo387bojo387 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

Well, I'm moving on to 290 after passing 270 last December (thanks to you and techexams' help).

I'm using a lone, old laptop that's got 512MB RAM and about 10Gig free harddisk space at the moment. CPU is a mobile AMD Athlon XP-M 2000+ and I am running XP Home.

I've just downloaded the eval copy of Windows Server 2003 from MS. For review/simulation purposes, should I just install it in a separate partition and dual boot? or use VMWare such as I did with XP Pro?

As always, I'd appreciate your comments.

Thanks,

Bojo

Comments

• Options
    ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    i suggest you use vmware to simulate a working virtual network environment between your client (windows xp) and your DC (server 2003). Dual boot configuration is not suitable to setup a lab, since your limited to work on a stand alone OS at a time.
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    i suggest you use vmware to simulate a working virtual network environment between your client (windows xp) and your DC (server 2003). Dual boot configuration is not suitable to setup a lab, since your limited to work on a stand alone OS at a time.

+1

You should also bump up your ram and get an external drive for your VMs. You can probably make significant improvements for $100-150. I just bought two gb of ram for $60 for one of our laptops at work (and two gigs for $47 for my machine at home -- maybe DDR3 is driving down the cost of older memory).
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:

+1

You should also bump up your ram and get an external drive for your VMs. You can probably make significant improvements for $100-150. I just bought two gb of ram for $60 for one of our laptops at work (and two gigs for $47 for my machine at home -- maybe DDR3 is driving down the cost of older memory).

Thanks. I might indeed need to consider a separate drive. I've read that to speed up/optimize vmware, it is best to store the virtual machines on a separate (physical) drive. So any usb drive will work instead of an internal HD?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That's correct. You might not get the performance of an internal drive, but once it's booted up, it's really not disk-intensive. Laptop drives are typical slow anyway, so it'll probably be on par with what you're used to. If you don't have usb 2.0, you might be hurting though.
  • Options
    Great, that is the way to go then.

Thanks!