Options

How I prepare for MS exams

Seems like a few here have been struggling with some failed exams, just thought I'd toss out a few things from my experience. I've passed 14 MS exams since 1999, thankfully haven't failed any, but I have certainly gone through some real tough ones, where I was a complete mess by the time I clicked the Finish button.

I start my study routine in forums like this, reading others' experiences, and looking for what books people like. I look for threads of those who passed - what did they use? I usually select one primary book, and depending on the complexity, maybe two books. But most times just one.

I study the book, making notes in a Word doc as I go. By the time I'm done the book - anywhere from a few weeks to a few months, depending on what is going on in life - I've got 20-30 pages of notes which serves as my main study material.

Next, go through tech notes, and any other worthwhile material that can be found. The more, the better.

Next I go back through the book, doing all practice questions, reviewing each chapter, doing the hands on exercises. Where possible, I'll have the product installed on a test machine where I can experiment with it.

When I start feeling like I know what I'm doing, I venture into practice tests. I purposely hold off on practice tests for as long as I can, because once I start getting into test mode, I tend to get an "in the zone" feeling, and want to get the exam over with.

I've used Transcender for every test I've ever taken. I always learn things from the Transcender that I never came across in my studying. All the new things I learn get added to my Word doc, which I continue going over until it's second nature.

Finally, when I feel I am as prepped as I can be, it's time to book the exam. I usually get to a point where I feel my focus is as sharp as it will be, and any delay will cause me to lose that.

Despite anything I've ever read about any exam ahead of time being "easy", I can't say I ever walked away from an MS exam and said it was easy. The exams are tricky, and sometimes I get quite mad at the scenarios, which can be quite unrealistic.

Thankfully, I have passed some killer exams on the first try, including some that many failed the first time out. Some of the harder ones that come to mind are 70-216 (Win2000 network infrastrucure), and both the MCSE 7 MCSA upgrade exams for Win2003. When I clicked the last button at the end, I really had no idea what I was going to see.

To sum up: use good study material, and study it thoroughly; try to get as much hands on as you can with the product; select a quality practice test system, and drill yourself on it.

Finally, get a good night's sleep, stay calm, and go take that test. Unless you're a genious, yes, you're going to get some questions wrong. But you should know enough at this point to get a passing score.

Just a few notes about taking the exam itself. The last one I took, a few years ago, required a dry erase marker and a board. No more pencil/paper. That was a bummer, because I usually use a lot of paper as I go, especially when drawing network scenarios. In any case, make note of any questions that you want to revisit as you go through the test. Then at the end, go back and look at them. I've been amazed more then once when the answer to a stumper suddenly jumped out at me. There've also been times where a question was answered later on in the exam by another question. You never know.

Well, go get 'em people!
MCTS
MCITP: SA & EA
MCSE: NT, 2000, 2003
MCSA: 2000, 2003

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I share many of your sentiments and techniques, and I think that is all excellent advice.

Thanks for taking the time to share with us :D
  • Options
    KrankKrank Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey dfosbenner, thanks for the advices. Just as dynamik, I share some of the techniques and feelings about the MS exams and study methods. It's always good to read someone's experience to know a little what can we expect.