So back to my point

u had a point? icon_eek.gif
    i herd u leik mudkips lol
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Aquabat wrote:
    shednik wrote:

So back to my point

u had a point? icon_eek.gif

So back to my point a 4 year degree is NOT a WASTE OF TIME, it's only a waste time if you don't take advantage of the time you have to learn all that you can.

The time you put in for a Bachelors is time well served.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I dropped out just 20 credits short of my BFA in Fine Art. Got into the IT world because that is where I have marketable skills. Did some tech support and contract jobs here and there until I took a Dell tech support job that required the A+ so I picked up my first cert there. Ended up with the DCSE during the job (hey it was free!) and when I was searching again the combination of the two opened up a lot of opportunities for me though I think it was my AutoCAD and Photoshop knowledge that lead to my current job as I don't think they even knew what my certifications meant. Picked up my Security+ on Friday so I am now seeing if that opens up any more doors for me.

I plan on finish college eventually but not until I've worked my way out of debt and can afford to finish my BFA and MA without going back into debt. Debt isn't worth it! I'll also keep on picking up certifications until I'm ready to head back to the art world.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wouldn't call myself a college drop out, since I am taking 1 class per year lol!

Right now, I've deiced that I wanted to concentrate on certifications first. I do plan on going back to school on a more full time basis in a year or 2. I have to enjoy being a newly wed for a little while first.

Anyway, for me, I've found that not having a degree has not hurt me any. Most job's I've looked at have been 4 year degree OR comparable experience. I know that my chances of getting into management are much lower without a degree though.

you and I are in the same boat. take 1 or 2 classes a semester, and primarily focusing on my certs.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    shednik wrote:
    it's only a waste time if you don't take advantage of the time you have to learn all that you can.

what does that even mean? what do you mean by 'time you have to learn all you can"?

learn all i can about what?

programming fortran? programming cobol? multimedia aestethics?

what can i learn from that that would make me a better network engineer?

reading cisco press all day long for 4 years > a 4 year degree
    i herd u leik mudkips lol