Options

Passed CCNA Today with 867

Selvan1971Selvan1971 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I took the exam last monday 21 Jan 2008, but I failed by 10 marks (815). Today I had 867. I have A+, Network +, Server + also. Still I couldn't find a job in computer field.

I came to US in 2005 Sept. and got all these certifications. Still it is hard for me to find a job.

Now I am going to work on MCSE. I appreciate any sugessions or help to hit the job market.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congratz on the pass and good luck on the MS track!

You really need experience to back up those certs in order to find work. They are not much good with no real experience...
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats :D
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congratulations for passing!

Good luck on the job search. And, good luck on the Microsoft studies.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    eleguaelegua Member Posts: 282
    Congratulations. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    congratz :)

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice Job on passing CCNA and good luck in the job search!
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    EmpathyEmpathy Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□

You really need experience to back up those certs in order to find work. They are not much good with no real experience...

Congrats, Selvan!

networker050184...How does one get experience if no one will give you a job?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Someone will give you a job if you have a good attitude, dedication and a little luck. Just look at all the people with jobs, they weren't born with them. You can have all the certifications in the world but they mean very little with out substance to back them up.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    elvantelvant Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrate of you passed.

Most of the employee prefer to hire an experienced guy, but they are some that concern about candidate who have right attitude and passion on continue learning.
    For example, an IT vendor company doing project on infrastructure will regularly introduce new products likes firewalls and various network appliances, they usually offer many brands of this products and they need to send their Tech guy to attend training whenever they have new products coming in. Here is where your attitude plays a part.

On your job searching, just emphasis your passion to work in IT field. Your certs can proof this very well. Tell them you still working on some other certs and let them know what is your plan on getting this cert (ex. get CCNA on Q1 2008, MCSE on Q1 2009...) and a job that related to your cert. IT field is very big and there are tons of cert out there, specify which area you are going to do (networking, messaging, security, data centre, Infra) and the cert you are getting are related to this field. Dont get cert just because everybody are going to it. Apply job that will led you to your plan, give reason to the interviewer that you want this job because it is in your planing. Show them your awareness of your future plan and what you want to be in IT.

For example, you want to work in network security field, so you may need something like CCNA, MCSE:security, Security +, CCSP, CCISP....Plan on these certs on your calender, takle each one start from the entry level, then up to the highest. In the meantime, get your first IT job start from an entry level like technician, Helpdesk. In every 1 or 2 years, try to change your position to a higher level. Make sure every job you do will give you the experience toward your goal.
    What is done is done, what yet to be done will be done. While in the process of doing, enjoy it.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif

And good luck with the Microsoft Stuff! icon_cool.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Empathy wrote:

Congrats, Selvan!

networker050184...How does one get experience if no one will give you a job?

+1 on what Networker said...this may sound cheesey, but how about volunteer work...a local Community college, or some kind of company that's in the business...just put your case to them, you can't find a job and you're looking to get some hands on experience...worth a try I think, if things are getting "desperate"...
    CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
    Working on renewing CCNA!
  • Options
    CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389

I agree with Networker - without experience, it's doubtful that you'll be able to find a job. The certs help, sure, but only after you already have a job. Experience-less applicants have little to no value to employers, unfortunately.
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949