MC3810-V3 Question

rebelratrebelrat Posts: 34Member ■■□□□□□□□□
Quick question - I bought a MC3810-V3 with 32Flash/64DRAM. It comes with VCM3, AVM6, and MFT-T1. My question is, do I still need to add the APM for FSX, FXO, and E/M?
rebelrat :-)

Comments

  • mikej412mikej412 Posts: 10,090Member
    Without the output of a show version command, it's hard to know what's installed (if anything) on the AVM6 -- so you'd probably want to wait until you get it to decide.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • rebelratrebelrat Posts: 34Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice - the price was too good to pass up - $40.00. Also bought three more AVM6 for them for $5.00 each (these sell for ridiculous prices on Ebay) plus 1 DVM-T1 for $5.00. Got lucky with a Google search at 7:30 AM and found this company in Ohio.

    Most of the MC3810 units on Ebay are V1 and come with only 8Flash/32DRAM. There is a nice one with 6APM FXS on it and a mikej502inf is the current high bidder - that would not be you by any chance? icon_wink.gif
    rebelrat :-)
  • mikej412mikej412 Posts: 10,090Member
    mikej412 wrote:
    I'm starting the "2008 home lab upgrade" to support my "2008 Certification Plan" -- and all the upgrades are leaning towards Voice, since I'm already good on R&S and Security.
    Hey -- I never said I was done with my icon_santa.gif shopping from this thread icon_lol.gif

    I've given up on finding any reasonable VWIC-1MFT-E1s -- so I got 2 MC3810-MFT-E1s.

    My fallback plan is to swap out one MFT-T1 in an MC3810 for a "Branch Office" and one in my Lab PSTN cloud.

    But Plan A is to just grab 2 more nice MC3810s (though, uh, that guy may be currently bidding on 3). Plus I've got my eye on another 1760 and some VWIC-2MFT-T1s.... and a couple other things. :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • rebelratrebelrat Posts: 34Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    The unit arrived today and it had 6 FXO interfaces. Very clean unit, plus loaded to the max with Flash and DRAM. Now I need another unit with 6 FXS interfaces and will then place 3 FXO and 3 FXS interfaces in each unit.
    rebelrat :-)
  • rebelratrebelrat Posts: 34Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow - received the 3 AVM6 modules and to my total surprise each was loaded with 6 APM FXS modules - for a total of 18 APM FXS. All for $15.00 - I don't think I'll ever forget that Google search. :D
    rebelrat :-)
  • mikej412mikej412 Posts: 10,090Member
    Does that mean I don't have to fight you for those next 2 units with the overpriced shipping charges? icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • rebelratrebelrat Posts: 34Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote:
    Does that mean I don't have to fight you for those next 2 units with the overpriced shipping charges? icon_lol.gif

    Good one icon_wink.gif

    One question - can you use the HCM6 module with the AVM6 module, or do I need a VCM6 for the analog module? In that case I really would not need any of the units with the overpriced shipping charges :)
    rebelrat :-)
  • mikej412mikej412 Posts: 10,090Member
    When you have an AVM6 installed, you can only fit in one HCM/VCM next to the T1 slot -- either one will work. I've never figured out the 2nd spot where the power supply connector prevents you from installing anything else. I've been tempted to file down an HCM2 I'm not using and see if I could get it in without cutting any traces. :D

    If you have a DVM -- there is a spot on that for a 2nd HCM/VCM module.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • rebelratrebelrat Posts: 34Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote:
    icon_lol.gif

    I've given up on finding any reasonable VWIC-1MFT-E1s -- so I got 2 MC3810-MFT-E1s.

    My fallback plan is to swap out one MFT-T1 in an MC3810 for a "Branch Office" and one in my Lab PSTN cloud.

    But Plan A is to just grab 2 more nice MC3810s (though, uh, that guy may be currently bidding on 3). Plus I've got my eye on another 1760 and some VWIC-2MFT-T1s.... and a couple other things. :D

    Check out this auction - the price is very reasonable for the NM-HDV + VWIC-MFT-T1

    Cisco VG200 with NM-HDV + VWIC-MFT-T1 icon_wink.gif
    rebelrat :-)
  • mikej412mikej412 Posts: 10,090Member
    I don't really need another VG200..... but it's probably worth bidding for a while and hope for a sweet deal for another NM-HDV :D

    I'm actually good on T1s, and the 2 E1s for the 3810s came yesterday. I just have to decide soon whether to pull a couple T1s out of my existing MC3810s and put in the E1s, or keep trying for a couple more MC3810s.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • rebelratrebelrat Posts: 34Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote:
    I don't really need another VG200..... but it's probably worth bidding for a while and hope for a sweet deal for another NM-HDV :D

    I'm actually good on T1s, and the 2 E1s for the 3810s came yesterday. I just have to decide soon whether to pull a couple T1s out of my existing MC3810s and put in the E1s, or keep trying for a couple more MC3810s.

    Sorry that I sniped you this morning, but it came with 64MB DRAM and the price was too good to pass up. The remaining MC3810s are all yours, as I now have three of them and that should be enough for the PSTN cloud.

    Another option is an AIM-ATM-VOICE 30 or AIM-VOICE 30 which both come with 30 DSPs and allow you to insert the VWIC-MFT-T1 into any WIC slot on any 2600/2600XM/3600 series router.
    They are kind of pricey though.
    rebelrat :-)
  • mikej412mikej412 Posts: 10,090Member
    Yeah, I saw that. For 64mb I should have bid higher. icon_lol.gif But since I can easily survive without anymore I didn't want to drive up the market price too much. I miss the days from last summer when you could get a maxed out MC3810 for $25-45, but the supply seems to have dried up and the prices are moving back up, even for junky ones.

    I check out the AIM-ATM-VOICE-30 sometimes.... but since I got the WS-X6608-T1 and my 1760s and NM-HDV are maxed on PVDMs, I'm good on DSPs :D

    I don't have anything in the NM slot on my 2950XM which has the AIM-CUE in it. That NM-HDV with the VWIC-MFT-T1 might just be the final piece I could wedge into the voice section of my home lab icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • mikej412mikej412 Posts: 10,090Member
    I let the VG200 go -- someone got a GREAT deal if that was an NM-HDV with a VIC-1MFT-T1. But I did score on a VIC-2MFT-T1 and another 1760-V.

    But someone else bought an MC3810-V3 with a MFT-T1 and DVM-T1 for $370 -- I got mine for under $50. icon_confused.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • rebelratrebelrat Posts: 34Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote:
    I let the VG200 go -- someone got a GREAT deal if that was an NM-HDV with a VIC-1MFT-T1. But I did score on a VIC-2MFT-T1 and another 1760-V.

    But someone else bought an MC3810-V3 with a MFT-T1 and DVM-T1 for $370 -- I got mine for under $50. icon_confused.gif

    I saw that - and thought how nice that I got mine loaded to the max for $40.00 plus the DVM-T1 for an additional $5.00. Absolutely ridiculous what that Ebayer is willing to pay for this old equipment.

    I think he is building them from scratch, as he also bought two VCM6 boards for more than $100.00 each. I should offer him the two extra AVM6 with the APM FSX - I bought them for $5.00 each, but on Ebay I probably could get $200.00 each easily.

    I am glad I read this board first, before I spend $370.00 for an MC3810-V3. For that money I could buy a 2650XM router with a NM-2V plus VIC-2FXS/VIC-2FXO, and still have a few bucks left.
    rebelrat :-)
  • rebelratrebelrat Posts: 34Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    Quick question - my AVM6 units do not have the RJ11 plastic insert adapters

    I found these on the Internet - would either of them work?

    http://www.l-com.com/productfamily.aspx?id=2414
    Modular Insert Adapter - Converts Any RJ11/12 Jack to Accept Handset Cables


    http://www.altex.com/product_info.php?products_id=1473
    RJ-11 110 Keystone Jack Insert (IDC Type)
    rebelrat :-)
  • mikej412mikej412 Posts: 10,090Member
    I think the original AVM6s were just the metal jack and no "plastic faceplate decoration" -- while my MC3810-V and MC3810-V3 have the plastic on the front.

    Are you missing the entire jack... or just the platic piece? Remember that a handset jack is smaller than an RJ-11 -- so the insert probably wouldn't work unless you did some modifications.

    If the entire jack is gone.... and the pins are marked (and still there) on the AVM6 you may be able to to jury rig (and wire and solder) the jack solution -- but it may be hanging out the back.

    If these are the $5 AVM6s -- its probably worth a shot..... there's always the $65 & $85 eBay replacement option (no buying the MC3810s I'm bidding on for cheaper spare parts!!!! icon_lol.gif ).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • rebelratrebelrat Posts: 34Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote:
    I think the original AVM6s were just the metal jack and no "plastic faceplate decoration" -- while my MC3810-V and MC3810-V3 have the plastic on the front.

    Are you missing the entire jack... or just the platic piece? Remember that a handset jack is smaller than an RJ-11 -- so the insert probably wouldn't work unless you did some modifications.

    If the entire jack is gone.... and the pins are marked (and still there) on the AVM6 you may be able to to jury rig (and wire and solder) the jack solution -- but it may be hanging out the back.

    If these are the $5 AVM6s -- its probably worth a shot..... there's always the $65 & $85 eBay replacement option (no buying the MC3810s I'm bidding on for cheaper spare parts!!!! icon_lol.gif ).

    Only the plastic piece is missing. I think I will settle for the plastic inserts that will hold the RJ11 plugs in place so that they make contact with the conductors. MY other 2 MC3810s have the plastic inserts as well.

    This just seems to be one unit that gives me fits - while trying to upgrade the IOS, the boothelper seems to be unable to boot the new image. The current image seems to be IP only - no voice. Looks like I might just venture out and try to snag one more unit on Ebay that comes with the inserts. This one came with a DVM-T1 and I think I will just put it back into the chassis. icon_wink.gif

    It looks like the AVM6 units that are being sold on Ebay do not have the RJ11 inserts as well. I am wondering whether the plastic inserts in the VIC-2FXS/VIC-2FXO might work, these should still be available, I am hoping icon_rolleyes.gif
    rebelrat :-)
  • mikej412mikej412 Posts: 10,090Member
    Finally!! icon_lol.gif

    I got an MC3810-V3 for $10 icon_cheers.gif

    Someone beat me out for another one ($10.50) -- but since I've added 3 more MC3810s to my herd, I didn't really need it, so I didn't bid it up. I just wanted 2 more to run the pair of MFT-E1 interfaces I got.

    Plus I scored on a couple more VIC-2MFT-T1s icon_cheers.gif

    I guess I'm finally done with my icon_santa.gif lab shopping spree/upgrade.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • supercooldudesupercooldude Posts: 49Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote:
    I guess I'm finally done with my icon_santa.gif lab shopping spree/upgrade.
    Now, how about a nice picture of the whole lab?
  • rebelratrebelrat Posts: 34Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote:
    Finally!! icon_lol.gif

    I got an MC3810-V3 for $10 icon_cheers.gif

    Someone beat me out for another one ($10.50) -- but since I've added 3 more MC3810s to my herd, I didn't really need it, so I didn't bid it up. I just wanted 2 more to run the pair of MFT-E1 interfaces I got.

    Plus I scored on a couple more VIC-2MFT-T1s icon_cheers.gif

    I guess I'm finally done with my icon_santa.gif lab shopping spree/upgrade.


    Congrats Mike - great price on a V3. I have 5 MC3810 now, 3 with the voice chassis (silver covers and grounding pegs) including the V3 that started the thread. The last one I bought has the MFT-T1 with the ISDN B S/T interface, plus 2 6DSP voice modules and DVM-T1. The seller reduced it from $75 to $50 Buy it Now - I could not refuse. Since I already have the Vconsole ISDN simulator I will add a WIC-B S/T to my 1760-V.

    Three of the units have the AVM6 modules with 4FXS and 2 FXO and MFT-T1, plus 2 have the MFT-T1 with the DVM-T1. Plenty of connections to simulate a PSTN cloud. Plus I got lucky and bought a Teltone TLS 5 POTS simulator.

    There is currently a very attractive VG200 with NM-HDV and WVIC-MFT-T1-DI on Ebay, but since I already bought a WVIC2-MFT-T1 for the 1760-V, I think I will pass unless the price is too good to pass up.

    By the way, thank you very much for all the advice in this forum, it was a tremendous help in planning my voice lab.
    rebelrat :-)
  • mikej412mikej412 Posts: 10,090Member
    rebelrat wrote:
    There is currently a very attractive VG200 with NM-HDV and WVIC-MFT-T1-DI on Ebay, but since I already bought a WVIC2-MFT-T1 for the 1760-V, I think I will pass unless the price is too good to pass up.
    It's hard to tell how many PVDMs are installed from the picture.... I'm currently the highest bidder.... but at $255 I haven't met the reserve price. icon_sad.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • mikej412mikej412 Posts: 10,090Member
    rebelrat wrote:
    VG200
    I didn't really need another boring VG200 with NM-2V. Nice price @ $45 :D

    I did try to get a cheap 1721 to use as a SOHO router, but no luck. I guess I'm good hardware wise for HQ and multiple Branch Office configurations.

    I guess I'll go see if I can build a couple GateKeeper Clusters in Dynamips/Dynagen.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • rebelratrebelrat Posts: 34Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote:
    rebelrat wrote:
    VG200
    I didn't really need another boring VG200 with NM-2V. Nice price @ $45 :D

    I did try to get a cheap 1721 to use as a SOHO router, but no luck. I guess I'm good hardware wise for HQ and multiple Branch Office configurations.

    I guess I'll go see if I can build a couple GateKeeper Clusters in Dynamips/Dynagen.

    Sorry about sniping you again, and I really mean that, but I have this VG200 and tried to upgrade it to 64MB DRAM, without luck. I received two different sticks of SDRAM, and neither of them will work. Plus it really is a very good price considering it has 64MB DRAM and includes the NM-2V.

    I also won a Catalyst 2950G-12 EI 12 port switch, which should complete my lab (for now). The CCVP part consists of MCS 7835 plus DL320 Callmanger servers 4.2(3). A 3550-24PWR plus the 2950G-12 for switches. Both will also be put to good use in my CCNP lab configurations.

    A 1760-V router built from scratch with 32Flash and 128 DRAM, PVDM-256k-16 and PVDM-256k-20 for a total of 9 DSPs, and I am waiting for my WVIC2-MFT-T1.

    5 MC3810 of which 3 have the AVM6 with 4 FXS and 2FXO interfaces, plus 2 with the DVM-T1. All also have the MFT-T1 and my Teltone TLS5 POTS simulator for the PSTN cloud. One of them also has the BRI-ST interface with the MFT-T1 module.

    2 VG200 Gateways with NM-2V and VIC-2FXS and VIC-2FXO, one has 16MB Flash and 64MB DRAM (the one I won today) the other only has 8MBFlash and 32MB DRAM.

    Last but not least the Cisco 7912 and 7940 IP phones, plus several analog phones.

    The CCNP part consists of 2 2611XM routers with 32 Flash and 192MB DRAM, plus a 2610XM with 48MB Flash and 256MB DRAM. These have either WIC-1T, WIC-DSU-T1, or BRI-S/T interfaces, that will work with my Vconsole 2 Port ISDN simulator. For a Frame-Relay switch I am using a 2521 router plus my 2510 Access server. I also have another 2610 router (not XM) with 16MB Flash and 64MB DRAM with a WIC-1T.

    For DNS, DHCP and WEB, I added two SUN Cobalt RAQ servers.

    Only thing missing is my 24U Skeletek rack plus a lot of time to study and work with my equipment. icon_cool.gif
    rebelrat :-)
  • mikej412mikej412 Posts: 10,090Member
    rebelrat wrote:
    VG200 and tried to upgrade it to 64MB DRAM, without luck.
    The one I have is 64/8, so I'll try and upgrade the flash to 16meg and see what happens. I want to squeeze that last 12.3 VG200 IOS onto flash, rather than TFTP boot.

    I may run to "Big Lots" sometime this week and see if they still have the $5 Analog phones (with Caller ID) that I had gotten a few months back.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
Sign In or Register to comment.