Options

SYSPREP or RIPREP ?

keltakkeltak Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am sitting my 20-271 tomorrow and have been studying all month for it.
I have looked into related subject matter many times, even to the point of going off track.
BUT, what is the difference between sysprep and riprep?

I have read conflicting info on this matter in MS press book and the microsoft website and tech forums.

it appears that:

riprep is for remote image installs which contain OS & apps. target system must contain same HAL but not neccesary same hardware.

sysprep is for stand alone image installs for OS but can include apps. target must contain same hardware.

riprep does not work on win2k server or is incopatable between 2k and 2k3?

sysprep on win 2k does not work with 2k3 or vice versa.

HELP....!

can anyone clarify this for me? icon_scratch.gif

Comments

• Options
    GundamtdkGundamtdk Member Posts: 210
    Sysprep is used when you don't have AD to install the images remotely.

Riprep is used when you have an AD to install the images remotely.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    They basically do the same thing, which is strip the unique information away from a Windows installation, so that installation can be imaged to other machines. Riprep is used to create images that will be used with a RIS (now replaced by WDS) server. If you use sysprep, you will need another software or hardware solution of duplicating the disks.

I think Gundamtdk meant a RIS Server, not AD. AD is not required for either method.
  • Options
    GundamtdkGundamtdk Member Posts: 210
    dynamik wrote:
    They basically do the same thing, which is strip the unique information away from a Windows installation, so that installation can be imaged to other machines. Riprep is used to create images that will be used with a RIS (now replaced by WDS) server. If you use sysprep, you will need another software or hardware solution of duplicating the disks.

I think Gundamtdk meant a RIS Server, not AD. AD is not required for either method.

To setup a RIS server you do require:

-DHCP
    -DNS
    -AD

(This is from the Exam Prep 2 70-290 book chapter 2)
  • Options
    Gundamtdk wrote:
    To setup a RIS server you do require:

-DHCP
    -DNS
    -AD

(This is from the Exam Prep 2 70-290 book chapter 2)

You're right, but we're just talking about making the images. Riprep does not require AD to create the image. We're dealing with 70-270 material here ;)
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies.

So..,
    riprep is for remote image installs.
    &
    sysprep is for stand alone image installs.

Whats AD?
  • Options
    Active Directory. It's Microsoft's directory service. I know 270 touched upon it briefly, but maybe 271 does not. I'm actually not familiar with that particular exam. You'll get into it if you pursue any of the server certifications.
  • Options
    AD active directory...doh! icon_redface.gif

I have ben reading about it numerous times this week.

Thanks for the info. :)