Options

Staring the CCNA

zenlakinzenlakin Member Posts: 104
I am finally going to take the plunge and going to start studying for my CCNA. I unfortunately don't have money to purchase my own equipment and was curious what you guys recommend. I have access to the Sybex CCNA book and also the Boson sims. Just curious if that would get the job done or not. Also, I have looked into the material a little and of course like most people I seem to have a hard time wrapping my head around subnetting and ip addressing. Is there any material out there that can really break it down so that my 3 year old could understand it? LOL!! Thanks guys.

Comments

• Options
    gonzoflickgonzoflick Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I found the CBT Nuggets Video training series great so far. I just used the INTRO videos, Cisco press books, and a home lab to pass CCENT. I got a lot of my info from the CBT Nuggets
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    www.thebryantadvantage.com CCNA package is a great resource for subnetting and all CCNA material in general. You really should pick up a few items at the very minimum. You can get 2501s for $10.
  • Options
    zenlakinzenlakin Member Posts: 104
    Dynamik, have you used that study package or know anyone that has used it in the past?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I haven't used it extensively. I've really been procrastinating on my Cisco studies. I do own it though, and I've been impressed with what I've seen. I actually bought the version for the old exam. I recently emailed him saying that I never used it, and he gave me a free copy of the updated version. He seems like a great guy.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    zenlakin wrote:
    Dynamik, have you used that study package or know anyone that has used it in the past?

I read the entire eBook twice...didn't do his labs, but did all of his practice questions..thats used after going through testout and supplementing with Odom's ICND book I passed the Intro and ICND easily. I recommend Bryant's guides hands down, use them with a cisco press book, and some hands on through a lab, dynamips, or rack rental... Bryant offers rack time with his package so that comes in handy if you can't buy your own.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I also highly recommend the CBT Nuggets, Cisco Press Books, and either some bryant rack time, or mindtechcom.com.

Best thing is to dive in, and it is also a huge help to have someone you can ask for help, whether it be to double check your work, or explain concepts that you are having a hard time grasping.