640-802 exam - Failed first attempt

thegezmanthegezman Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I sat the exam last friday (25th) and failed by a miserable one percent scoring a 815 needed atleast an 825.

i was just trying to get some feedback from some people, especially those who have re-sat the exam (having failed the first time).

i have spent many hours studying/cramming for this, but think that i need a bit more hands on.
my therory side of things seems okay atleast. but the lab/exercises i think i may have struggled with.

the texts i have studied include a online courseware which cost of $2000 aussie dollars, which is 95% therory, i have also read an online version on Todd Lammle's lastest offering which i highly recommend, but i feel that both of these didn't include enough practcal stuff, and some questions asked in the exam hadn't specifically been covered in my text.

i have set up a few dynampis labs, and maybe i should try and recrate this NAT setup with them.

here is a breakdown i how i scored:
Describe how a network works 85%
Config VLANs and interswitch communication 100%
Implement IP addressing and Services 87%
Config, verify, troubleshoot Basic Router Operation 52%
Appropriate Admin tasks required for WLAN 67%
Identify Security Threats 100%
Implement NAT and ACls 57%
Iplement and verify WAN links 100%

so really two areas boned me! need to work on NAT and ACLs and Basic Router config (which is an area i expected to do well in).

i'm worried that i'm going to fair worse in my second exam attempt, which i plan and sitting in the next 2-3 weeks. Especially seems i'm likley to get different questions than last time.
studying for CCNA

Comments

• MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It sounds like you need to concentrate on doing the work in a real lab (or virtual). I would make sure you know NAT and ACLs very well as you are more than likely to see those questions again.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    so close man, keep it up!

i havent took the exam but most ive spoke to and on hear swear by hands on labs. try ebay. im putting together a lab slowly but surely when i can afford it and are gona start my studies in the summer.

ive purchased 2x 2950's and have 3 x 2600's so far.

ALot of people recommend chris bryants lab book for there lab studies but im not sure how much they cost.

or even a simulator at the very least.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • thegezmanthegezman Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I can use dynamips for some of the simulation stuff, i think i just need to figure out waht labs to create.

i'd rather not set my own lab up mainly because i dont have little space and the missus would go nuts icon_wink.gif

we do have some gear at work and we do have a lab, i just haven't been allowed the time to set any stuff up.

unfortunatley i cant really 'play' with live equipment at work.

I've just purchased thebryantadvantage (without rack time) and am reading his ebook from scratch. it's seems to compliment the todd lammle and other resources i have used very well (so far) so i'm pretty please with it for $80 compared with the $2200 i paid for the skillport online stuff i bought originally.

instead of sitting the exam straight away again i'm planning on studying more gradually (in an attempt to let the content sink in a bit more) and sitting the exam in about 6 weeks time.

it spent the best part of two months studying last time, but almost all therory really, and it was more of a massive cram study at the end, which isn't the best way to learn.

so maybe it was a blessing in disguise that i didn't pass first go, everything happens for a reason and i'll keep everyone posted on how i go.

so far i'm pretty happy with the chris bryan stuff.
    studying for CCNA
  • freetechfreetech Member Posts: 154
    My best advice is to work on your ACL's and NAT.
    You need to know how to do them on the test. That is, practice.
    I had the same experience, I failed it twice. I think, but I'm not sure, that the test will not let you pass unless you do the config question correctly.
    I myself did not pass until I nailed the config question(s).
    Hope this helps.
    Experience is a harsh teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    I'd run dynamips and buy some switches as well for practice....the hands on is the key to passing this exam...good luck!
  • thegezmanthegezman Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the words of advice guys. truly appreciated.

i'll see how i go in about 5 weeks. fingers crossed
    studying for CCNA
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You'll do fine man. Just look at it like this- this was your attempt to break the ice, and get a feel for what the exam is like. Now, the next time will be a breeze. My second time was cake compared to the first.

Also, a suggestion on the ACL's. When I sat the CCNA the second time, whenever I got an ACL question, I wrote the answer (the entire ACL) on paper before even touching the keyboard to type my answer in. After I finished writing it, I reread it to myself, and checked it. Then, and only then did I type it in...it helps a lot. You may have intended to put the right thing in, but this way you'll be more sure of yourself.
  • ddaloiaddaloia Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just took the 640-802 exam and it was tough. I am a network engineer and decided to take the test because I am looking for a new job and some folks won't even talk to you without it. I only scored a 788! Going to study up and go take it again. Here's how I did:

Describe how a network works - 100%
    Configure, verify, and troubleshoot a switch with vlan's and interswitch communications - 77%
    Implement and ip address scheme and IP services to meet network requirments - 100%
    Configure, verify, and troubleshoot basic router operation and routing on Cisco devices - 52%
    Explain and select the appropriate administrative tasks required for a wlan - 67%
    Identify security threats to a network and describe general methods to migrate - 100%
    Implement, verify and troubleshoot NAT nd ACL's in a medium-size enterprise - 42%
    Implement and verify WAN links - 66%

I messed up a sim pretty good. I just drew a blank. It happens I guess. Just seems weird that I can manage a large network with a setup that goes beyond ccna fine, but did so poorly on this test.

Oh well. I will cram and take it again.
    I've always thought that they weight the sims so that you cannot pass without getting the sim correct.
    I can understand how you could work a large network and still fail, becasue the test is so broad. They're bound to ask questions about stuff you would not run into in a production environment, unless you did troubleshooting in a wide range of environments.
    Keep studying and you'll do great.
  • sieffsieff Member Posts: 276
    i failed twice with a 735 each time. TODAY I JUST PASSED !!!!

passed with an 828 and I'll take it. personally I didn't study too much. i crammed a few days out of the week on topics I've never experienced in the real world, like ACL, NAT and OSPF. i have lots of hands on in the work day, but those were my weaknesses. I studied and memorized router configurations. this helped me on the lab.

another thing is the testing center. before i'd go to the same place and it was sort of noisy and the last time the computer crashed (%@^%@#$!@%). So this time I registered at a local university and I think that made the difference too.
    "The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept were toiling upward in the night." from the poem: The Ladder of St. Augustine, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
  • CessationCessation Member Posts: 326
    sieff wrote:
    i failed twice with a 735 each time. TODAY I JUST PASSED !!!!
    passed with an 828 and I'll take it.quote]

With an 828? Thought it was still 849, interesting.
    A+, MCP(270,290), CCNA 2008.
    Working back on my CCNA and then possibly CCNP.
    With an 828? Thought it was still 849, interesting.
    I think they lowered it a few points with the 802.
  • c0d3_w0lfc0d3_w0lf Member Posts: 117
    The 802 only requires a score of 825 to pass.

Only. LoL
    There is nothing that cannot be acheived.
  • michael_kittrellmichael_kittrell Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I failed 2 weeks ago. 815.

I got 100% in 5 categories, 55% in 2 and 71 in another.

The test format killed me, I got flustered on the first 10 questions and hit the sim with 6 minutes to go and 4 or 5 questions after it. Not being able to go back to previous questions meant that I wasted extra time making sure I was happy with my answer. Also, not being familiar with the format of the questions (simlets, quesitonlets ect...) hurt. I just needed a couple more minutes to complete the SIM, but with 5 questions to go and 90 seconds on the clock, I gave up and moved on.

If its true that you have to complete the SIM, that sucks. I would've spent more time on it and said screw the last 5 questions. They should put it at the end and give you a fresh 10 minute counter just to do it.

I'm pretty disappointed in myself, but it is the 2 in 1 test. I opted not to take the individual tests hoping to save myself some money. I just didn't quite know my stuff fast enough and well enough to pass it in the time allotted. I don't think you can pass this without being pretty confident in the material and the ability to do subnet calcs in your head quickly.
    Took me three times to pass and in those three tests, the sims were in all different places. So when you take it again, it MAY be early.
    Remember to budget your time, especially if you haven't done the sim yet. know where you are on the test at all times. The CCNA test is VERY time-tight. They do it that way on purpose, I think.
    Be smart, and you'll pass. Know your spanning-tree, NAT, ACL's, frame-relay, subnetting, debugs, etc.
    As for subnetting, I still can't do them in my head. But I can do them pretty darn fast if I have my chart. So before the test started, I use the mylar sheet to write out my chart so that I can refer to it. Then I learned how to figure subnets within a few seconds, then I practiced, practiced, practiced.
    If you got that close, you can do it again. Answer all those questions and you'll pass.
    Don't give up. Make it happen.
  • HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    CCNA is the FUNDAMENTALS of networking, if you score anything less then a 900 then you need to spend more time studying...

Remember this cert is the most important, as any of the Professional cert's build off of the fundamentals.
    Now working full time!
  • phreakphreak Member Posts: 170 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So close!

keep trying. I failed the 801 twice now so far. I failed, came home and scheduled it again 5 days later (waiting period) and then failed again but was 15 points short.

Now that was back on the day before the 801 expired. Im re-working my studying plan. Take your time. 5-6 weeks should be good enough.

Keep at it.
  • caffinecaffine Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Failed today 815/825 not a nice feeling but I'll get the second one ;)
  • TSaLTSaL Member Posts: 38 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Humper wrote: »
    CCNA is the FUNDAMENTALS of networking, if you score anything less then a 900 then you need to spend more time studying...

Remember this cert is the most important, as any of the Professional cert's build off of the fundamentals.

Says Who? If Cisco says 825 to pass then that ok with me.

Cisco > You
  • hubergeekhubergeek Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    TSaL wrote: »
    Says Who? If Cisco says 825 to pass then that ok with me.

Cisco > You

I was gonna say the same thing... I failed today by ten points 815 out of 825.

900 he says, LOL 826 woul've being fine with me. LOL
  • yamaj615yamaj615 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear that bad news. I also failed my 1st attempt at the composite exam. Don't let it bring you down. You now know the areas you need to focus so study hard, lab harder and next time you will do fine.