Options

Home Router *NOT LAB*

bmaurobmauro Member Posts: 307
Hey all - I just recently resolved a week long problem with Verizon to have my FIOS service restored. To make a very very long story short - once the service was restored my PPPoE connection was switched to a DHCP connection.

The problem is my SmoothWall router looks like the intial config during install asks what type of "outside" connection you have (ie. PPP, PPPoE, DHCP, etc) and I don't feel like reading how to change this setting on the router (I configured that guy over 2 yrs ago)

So - I decided that this is the perfect time to actually pull out one of my lab routers and actually put it to good use in my home network. So I would like to ask for suggestions on any tips that I should be aware of. I'll be using a 2621 and this will also double as my firewall (at least until I get my hands on a PIX or ASA).

The image I think I'm settling on is c2600-ik9o3s3-mz.12.3-24a - which is the IP Plus IDS/FW/IPSec. My security background is very shaky - so my biggest worries of course are my ACLs and the firewall side. My labs I've never worried about security ... yet :P

Thanks guys

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Configuring the IOS firewall should be pretty simple especially if you aren't trying to access any inside devices from the outside. You might have to tweak it a bit, but should be a good learning experience. PPPoE is a pretty straight forward configuration as well. Here are some links you could check out.

Cisco IOS security configuration guide 12.3

configure PPPoE client on 2600
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sound like you've got the right IOS (IP Plus)

I use my old 2514 to connect to Verizon. Here's the relevant parts of my config:

vpdn enable

vpdn-group 1
    request-dialin
    protocol pppoe

interface Ethernet0
    description inside network
    ip address 10.x.x.x 255.255.255.0
    ip nat inside

interface Ethernet1
    description DSL Interface
    no ip address
    no ip mroute-cache
    pppoe enable
    pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1
    no cdp enable

interface Dialer1
    description DSL Dialer
    ip address negotiated
    ip access-group 101 in
    ip mtu 1492
    ip nat outside
    encapsulation ppp
    ip tcp adjust-mss 1452
    no ip mroute-cache
    dialer pool 1
    dialer-group 1
    no cdp enable
    ppp authentication chap callin
    ppp pap sent-username username password 0 12345

ip nat inside source list 10 interface Dialer1 overload
    no ip http server
    ip classless
    ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Dialer1

Been using this config for over two years without a problem. This type of config should work if the connection is PPPOE

Will be glad to answer any questions. Good luck!
  • Options
    networker - 100% right on the learning expireince - and I'm looking forward to it! Tonight I'll first upgrade the IOS and start the basic config - and I'll ease into it - finding what isn't working and then fixing it.

Thanks for the security config guide - looks like an awesome referrence.

Netwurk - thanks for the config. The big problem is that my connection USE to be PPPoE - now its straight DHCP. Makes the config that much easier :D
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Oh yeah I have all the IOS config guides book marked. They are great references for study and on the job (or home) stuff.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Personally I'd rather have the provider's equipment (a modem, for example) as the terminating equipment, and interface my router with that.

The reason?

"Honey the internet's not working!"

"unplug it from the cisco and put it in the linksys until I get home"
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    Paul - 100% agree with the 'KISS' method - but I'm hoping **finger's crossed** that the 2600 will be more dependable than the D-Link router provided by Verizon and reboots won't be required.

My PPPoE connection was rock solid - and I can't think of many instances at all where I had to reboot to "fix" the connection - who knows - with the link now changing strictly to a DHCP setup that might change the reliability of the connection. So I might keep that suggestion handy if things go south with the new configuration.

And anyways - if the wife gives me a call about the internet being down I'll tell her to read a book :P
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    bmauro wrote:
    And anyways - if the wife gives me a call about the internet being down I'll tell her to read a book :P

It looks like you can look forward to the take out line at McDonalds with that philosophy! :Dicon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Isn't that the truth!!!!!
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've never had an outage using the HWIC-1ADSL in a 2811 although I've had SEVERAL
    using the telco's cheep @$$ westell's. When the internet is out I just tell whoever to unplug
    the green cable and plug it back in on the silver silver box ^_^ works everytime
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey!! Just for the record;

ip tcp adjust-mss 1452

Goes on the internal Ethernet interface not the Dialer. When you dont have this on the internal
    interface, the router will drop the traffic that is over 1492 attempting to traverse the Dialer1
    Interface. This will explain why some connections cannot be made or timeout, some drop during
    transit, etc.. However did figure out though if your desktops are using any a MTU lower then
    1492 the computer will work fine.. if the computers use the default 1500, it will timeout on alot
    of stuff.

Also if you use a version on the Cisco router earlier then 12.3(15) you have to disable
    TCP windowing on Vista, or upgrade the ios to a 12.3(15) or later release IP Plus for PPPoE
    dialer.

read here for more info;
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2t/12_2t4/feature/guide/ft_admss.html
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps1018/products_tech_note09186a0080743212.shtml

Hope this points ya in the right direction :D
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1