Options

2500 Routers Questions

flipmadflipmad Member Posts: 184
My job gave me a couple 2500s and a 2600. The 2600 is dead. I cant get it to some up, it does not respond to Hyperterminal. I tried all different speeds and nothing.

Anyways, Ive got someone giving me a 2900 switch, but will it be pointless for me to work with 2 2500 routers and a switch.. When they have no fast ethernet ports..

Where can i find a AUI tranceiver? I cant find one anywhere.. I guess Ebay?

Comments

• Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    you can get transceivers on ebay fairly cheap.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Yes ebay is a great resource for AUI transceivers.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    yukkyyukky Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It won't be pointless to have the regular Ethernet connectors connected to the switch; I believe you won't be able to do router-on-a-stick over regular Ethernet, but I may be mistaken.
    Buying hardware for a home lab is addicting-- (Need.. more.. toys...) **(need.. more.. money)
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    yukky wrote:
    It won't be pointless to have the regular Ethernet connectors connected to the switch; I believe you won't be able to do router-on-a-stick over regular Ethernet, but I may be mistaken.

You are correct. No router on a stick. The ethernet firmware on a 2500 doesn't support the necessary subinterface and such. A 2600 would do it fine. The 2500's will still be great for many things though for learning.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Not all 2600's are good for router-on-a-stick. In most cases, you'll need an XM model if you want Fast Ethernet ports. Most "non-XM" models are 10Mbps Ethernet. There are exceptions, like the 2620 and 2621.
  • Options
    freetechfreetech Member Posts: 154
    Seems like I've heard that you can do router-on-a-stick with a 10mbps port on a 2600 with IOS 12.3. but I'm not certain.
    Experience is a harsh teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
  • Options
    yeah i found the aui tranceivers for 20 bucks each.. I imagine i could find them lower. What is a router-on-a-stick?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Router on a stick is when you have a router connected to a switch via a trunk and the router is doing the inter-vlan routing. If you know how vlans work you know a host in one vlan can not directly communicate with a host in another vlan. There must be a device to route the traffic between them. You can either use a multilayer switch or a trunk to a router (router on a stick).
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    makes sense. I understand VLANS, but unfortunately Im not familar with the terminology. In addition, Im only about 3/4 the way through the Intro book,

I appreciate it.
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Here's more information about router on a stick configuration with the 2600 series:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/prod_bulletin09186a00800921e4.html
    802.1Q encapsulation is now available on the built-in 10BaseT Ethernet interfaces of the Cisco 2610, 2611, and 2612 with Cisco IOS software 12.2(2)T and subsequent releases. Although this feature has been available on the Cisco 2600/3600 series since the release of Cisco IOS 12.1(5)T, support was previously limited to Fast Ethernet interfaces only. 802.1Q is not supported on any other Cisco 2600/3600 series 10BaseT Ethernet interface.

As long as your 2500s have ethernet AUI connections, even if they are 10Mb, along with your 2900 switch, you will find value with the hands-on practice. At this point with just one switch, it doesn't matter what version of the 2900 series you have, but if you want to find out more for if and when you do pick up a second switch, either in the 2900 or the 2950 series, you may want to read the following:

2900XL Series overview

2900 vs 2950 Comparison

I'd also recommend going through some form of CCNA lab workbook. Good luck~[/code]
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    Thanks alot for the help. I really appreciate it
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    Netwurk wrote:
    Not all 2600's are good for router-on-a-stick. In most cases, you'll need an XM model if you want Fast Ethernet ports. Most "non-XM" models are 10Mbps Ethernet. There are exceptions, like the 2620 and 2621.
    and 2650/51 and 2690/91 models as well.

you can get a 2620 router for around $100... a XM router will run you atleast $200 icon_sad.gif
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Netwurk wrote:

I think you might even be ok with 10M ports on 2600 series these days according to this.

802.1Q encapsulation is now available on the built-in 10BaseT Ethernet interfaces of the Cisco 2610, 2611, and 2612 with Cisco IOS software 12.2(2)T and subsequent releases. Although this feature has been available on the Cisco 2600/3600 series since the release of Cisco IOS 12.1(5)T, support was previously limited to Fast Ethernet interfaces only.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/prod_bulletin09186a00800921e4.html
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good link Turgon - it looks like you would be OK with non XMs then (for ROAS)

I would say that it's probably worth getting the fast ethernet model anyway, but if you're really on a budget and can take the speed hit then go for the non XM. Just make sure you have the right IOS