Wireless card problem

IT beginnerIT beginner Member Posts: 5 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I am hoping you could help me out?

I have two computers with a wireless PCI card in each, both from the same maker.

I have installed them everything is working fine until i turned off both PC's and one will work fine when you turn it back on, they other will not.

It comes up with a message stating "limited or no connectivity" in the wireless icon on the desktop.

When i use the command ipconfig the IP address is 169.x.x.x subnet mask is 255.255.0.0 and no default gateway so it is not even seeing the broadband router.

Any help would be great

Thank

Comments

• dpsdps Member Posts: 116
    Have you tried swapping the cards and see if both works?
    Check the card if it is plugged in properly. You can also try plugging the card into a different PCI slot.
    Focused and Steady.
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you using an access point or wireless router? or are you just trying to create an ad hoc computer to computer network?
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • IT beginnerIT beginner Member Posts: 5 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies,

I have'nt swapped the cards over ill do it and see. I am not at the machines at the moment.

I am using an wireless router (Netopia brand) that was supplied by my ISP

I was under the impression that it was an access point correct me if im wrong.

The Split - filter is in correctly in the telephone point one for the phone and other for DSL.

I have a solid DSL light, a flashing wireless light and the Internet light is flashing, this is the correct setup as far as i am aware, again correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks

IT Beginner
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What OS are you using? If its Windows, right-click your wireless connection (lower-right in the tray) and select "View Wireless Networks" and see what, if anything, it is connected to. It looks like it's just not connecting to your AP (or connecting to something else), which is why you're receiving an APIPA (169.254.x.x) and not an address from your DHCP server.
    Hello,

The OS is Windows XP Home SP2 and when i right click the wireless connection and select view wireless networks i see my wireless router SSID, its they only one that comes up and i click connect and supply the wireless key twice (Correctly).

It acquires an address but when finished i get limited or no connectivity and the IP address is the APIPA address range.

It is strange i have to tell you as i have done this many times and no problems with other computers connecting wirelessly to the router.

Regards

IT Beginner
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Make sure the 802.1x authentication checkbox is cleared, I've seen this cause issues with the authentication process for WPA or WEP PSK. If you're getting an APIPA address it means you're not getting an address from the rotuer (the router's DHCP server).
    The only easy day was yesterday!
    Thanks for the reply.

I am pretty sure i looked at that and it was not ticked but when i get home ill double check.

Thanks

IT Beginner

Its very strange
  • xwesleyxwillisxxwesleyxwillisx Member Posts: 158
    Are you running any security on your network? WEP, WPA, MAC filtering, etc...?

If so, verify that you have entered the key correctly on the clients. Also verify you are using the correct key length (for WEP), correct authentication (open, shared, etc...), correct encryption type (TKIP, AES), and the correct version of WPA2.

I can't tell you how many times I have fat-fingered passwords/keys/usernames/etc...

For best compatibility, if you are using WPA, I would suggest enabling WPA and WPA2, with both TKIP and AES encryption.

Some chipsets may only support 1 or the other, and I have seen it cause this exact issue. The client appears to associate but never gets a dhcp address.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You should also log into your AP and poke around there as well. Maybe you have client leases not expiring properly, and you've exhausted your address pool. Try giving your AP a power-cycle as well. That will sometimes remedy erratic problems.
    Hi all,

I have solved that problem,i dhanged the cards around and still got the same result.

So i figured it was the setting on the machine was causing the problem.

I used Winsock XP fix and it done the trick.

Thanks everyone for your input really appreciated it.

Regards

IT Beginner :D