Options

Is it worth it?

RazielianRazielian Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm about to go to college for networking.
ITT Tech.
How is that school? Does anyone know?
Also.. Will there be enough jobs out there for me and if there is will the pay be decent?
I dont' want to get all these certifications and only make like $15 an hour max...
What are you guys making? THanx :D

Comments

• Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I suggest that if you are looking for a starting rate considerably more than $15 hr that you take up medicine or law.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    RussS wrote:
    or law.

ah! where life revolves around the clock icon_lol.gif
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Agreed. I think there's always the chance to make more, especially with a Bachelors and certs, but I don't think anyone is going to start you off at that.
  • Options
    Just realised I didn't finish my post ...

You should not get into IT thinking there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, but because you enjoy working with the technology.
    www.supercross.com
  • Options
    SartanSartan Inactive Imported Users Posts: 152
    ITT Tech doesn't even have real routers, you work off of simulators.
    You don't even have Administrator access to the workstations you use, and I even bet you get to share networks that you build.
    But you get a cubicle!
    Network Tech student, actively learning Windows 2000, Linux, Cisco, Cabling & Internet Security.
  • Options
    Soooo starting off how much will I make around and what is the max and average?
    What would be a good place to go then in ohio.. Expecially around dayton if possible.
    I know I want to work with computers somehow but I want to make sure it's a career... Ya know?
  • Options
    Whats minimum there? ... add 50c and you will be near starting wage.
    www.supercross.com
  • Options
    halflife78halflife78 Member Posts: 122
    I started off my first IT job with no experience at $14 an hour. There are 2 jobs just posted in the newspaper near where I live, one for someone with an MCSE and A+ for 55k a year. Another job at a hospital wants a BS in Computer Science or 5 years equal experience for about 60k. Another job near where I lived a couple weeks ago wanted a Bach or Associates plus your MCSE and a strong background in WAN's (ie, CCNA, CCNP, etc.) for I believe it was 80-95k a year.

Also, I live in the deep South in the second worst job state in the country so it isn't like this is coming from Houston or somewhere of that nature. If you like the field, get your degree, and you are patient you can find a good job. The IT field unlike the medical field and alot of other fields is a stepping stone industry, you start off kind of low depending on how quickly you need a job and work your way up. The normal stepping points for jobs are 5, 10, and 15 years experience depending on the job. The biggest hurdle for alot of people is the first job, then the 5 year gap is the next biggest one.

My advice is decide what you like doing and pursue that field, in the long run that will be better for you and your family :D
  • Options
    Thank you halflife that is probly one of the best posts.. That one post will give me the strength to move on to better thigns.. Thank you soo much.
    :D
  • Options
    I wouldn't say to plan on starting as low as $.50 above minimum wage, especially with some schooling. I live in southern Ohio and all the job postings I see, though they require school or experience, all pay more than that. Even a job as a tech at a repair shop I interviewed for paid around $7.00 an hour. Those higher salaries look enticing though, considering that I'll be gaining some experience soon from this new job, plus I'm graduating in spring with my Associates, then going for my Bachelors.
  • Options
    Hey lostinspace. I live in southern ohio.. well sorta just moved from cincy to middletown..
    WHere are you going to school and is A+ and Network+ certs hard?
    Can you get me a job at that shop? icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif
  • Options
    I'm getting my Associates from Ohio University and then going to Shawnee State for my B.B.A.

If you're referring to the difficulty of the A+ and N+ exams, then no, they aren't that difficult. I suppose it's just a matter of what you know before you begin studying for the exams though. For those who know little to nothing, the exams may be a bit more difficult.

Heh, I can't get you a job anywhere. I'm not personal friends with the people at that shop. In fact, I don't think I'm high on their list of people to call if a job opens up. For a business, they are some of the most unreliable and dishonest people I've met, and I indirectly let them know that in a few emails.