Options

resume advice for a newbie

Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
Okay, so i've found a few jobs locally that i'd like to apply for. I'm really not sure what to do about my resume. Righ tnow i have:

No relevant experience
No degree (2 semesters from completing associates, though)
No certifications
... etc

So, what exactly do i do with a resume? I have 1 previous job and my current job, both unrelated to IT (but could be considered good for me - they're customer oriented jobs "would you like to biggie size that?".... "would you like me to direct you to the yellow and blue polka-dot 3-n-1 double action widgets?".

On a brighter note, google is started to hire here. maybe after i graduate i can get something there.
Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685

Comments

• Options
    dgbarrdgbarr Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You should provide your employers with all your work experience.. even if it isnt related to IT
  • Options
    Yeah that was my plan.

the 2 jobs listed above (mcdonalds and walmart) are all my work experience.

I'm 19 by the way.

• Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Sounds like since you are still in school, you might want to snag a job for Best Buy and work in their Geek Squad, I got lucky and was the AM technician there. Good experience.

Once you are done with school snag a help desk job and work your way up!
    -Daniel
  • Options
    I actually found a few jobs to apply for.

I'm going to apply for tech support with Comcast as well as a few other jobs. theres a job open at a hospital here, basic stuff (installing software, printers, etc), but i need all the experience i can get.

to be honest, i really want out of Retail.

• Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i would go for whatever IT job you can get - make no mistake it will be an entry level job but thats quite normal for even those older than 19 and in a similar situation.

i would put all your work experiance down because i even know 22 year olds who still havent had a job yet! so anything is better than nothing and at least it shows you are willing to work. can you draw anything from your jobs i.e. weird working times like working weekends etc then at least it shows employers that you are willing to work out of hours if necessary. also in the interview show and stress how keen you are - i know it sounds cheesy but if your enthusiasm comes across it may pay off for you.

im currently stuck on 2nd line helpdesk and im looking for a net admin role - so im similar to you in a way that i have no experiance in that role but im enthusiastic etc (or at least am hoping!)

good luck though
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    Well, with no relevant work experience to go with what you're learning (or your certs), employers aren't going to see anything desirable in you, I'm afraid. The lack of work experience is a big black hole on a resume in the networking field, and the rest of the resume at that point is essentially meaningless.

I would suggest that you try and network with people to see if some kind of low-paying technical job opening not requiring experience is open somewhere, even if it means working for free. Free work still counts as work experience, and you don't have to put on your resume that they never paid you anything. With a few years of technical work experience, you're gold and in demand, but with zero experience, you're out with the goats in the barnyard. You're going to need a lucky break somewhere. You're just gonna have to keep scanning the employer haystacks for that job needle. Something will probably turn up for you if you're persistent, but it may take a year or more.
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    I actually found a few jobs to apply for.

I'm going to apply for tech support with Comcast as well as a few other jobs. theres a job open at a hospital here, basic stuff (installing software, printers, etc), but i need all the experience i can get.

to be honest, i really want out of Retail.

What do you mean Tech Support with Comcast?
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I recommend searching up a skills based resume. I know that the standard expected format is to be focused on work experience but when you don't have work experience or your work experience is just a mish-mash of things a skills based resume could open doors not previously available. My resume suffered from the melting pot thing so I made it focused on my skills and just put in the work experience at the end as kind of a footnote. It worked as I landed a job with Dell tech support shortly after and now that I have some solid work experience under my belt I am back to using a work experience focused resume.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/