Have you read this novel about a hacker?

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
If you're a big fan of novels, especially tech ones, this is a MUST read. I read this five years ago, but remember it vividly.

http://www.jefferydeaver.com/Novels_/The_Blue_Nowhere/the_blue_nowhere.html

I'm just trying to divert your attention from reading tech books to take a break and read arts icon_wink.gif

Comments

• NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I like The Art of Intrusion by Kevin Mitnik.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    i bought the art of deception. haven't really read it yet.

however, i do intend to read it one day.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Are the two books, the art of deception and art of intrusion novles or informative books? pls don't refer me to goole icon_twisted.gif
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The art of INstrusion are real life stories. It's not fiction, but it is a novel type of read. Definately not an informative. After spending a lot of time if jail, and owning his own consulting company, I don't think Mitnick is trying to do anything durogatory anymore. I mean there are some cool tricks he talks about but nothing that is going to mkae anyone a social engineer.

It actually informs more on how to mitigate the social attack rather than how to actually perform the attack.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    binarysoul wrote:
    Are the two books, the art of deception and art of intrusion novles or informative books? pls don't refer me to goole icon_twisted.gif

I have read both and they are quite interesting reads, nothing thats going to blow todays systems wide open but I did find it quite impressive at times.

They talk about social engineering and contain stories of attacks etc that make a good read. It doesnt teach you how to do them but shows you what is possible when faced with the weakest factor in IT Security, the users.

I looked at them on my book shelf a couple of days ago and almost picked them up to read again until I noticed the study material next to them and thought I best do that, still think i will make some time to look over them again.
    He served five years in prison, including eight months in solitary confinement after it was alleged that he could launch nuclear missiles by whistling into a telephone.

Also makes you realise how much the authourities didnt understand!! icon_eek.gif
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    I will go on a long journey, so I will buy one to read on the way :D