Advice on CD-R burn software

TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
Guys,

The PC has a CD Writer. I can copy files onto CD-R but I can't burn ISO images. Anyone got links to free CD-R writer software?

Thanks

Comments

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ok Im giving up now. I have tried a few downloads but the evaluations all have size limitations and Im afraid I may end up with adware on my system to buy things. A shame as I have a 340M ISO image that would provide a useful firmware update for a server at home but there is juts no way to burn it seemingly without buying a burner online.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Free Power Toy for Windows:

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

[edit]
    Also, I think the only limit for this: http://www.goldenhawk.com/ is a max speed of 1x or 2x. It'll get the job done, if you're patient.
  • NuwinNuwin Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've loaded up the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools and used cdburn.exe to succesfully burn ISOs.

Get it here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en
    "By the power of Grayskull"
    Good info on the reskit. I didn't know that was included with that.

What type of server is this? You might also be able to use something like Daemon Tools to mount the ISO and run it like it's in a drive.
    The ISO is the firmware maintenance CD from HP so the updates need to be run before an OS installed. I intend this to be a Netware 5 server.

I read about the cdburn.exe but I only have XP home edition so Im not sure it will run and Im not sure the command line string to use.

isorecorder didn't help but I can try again. Goldenhawk is a new one. I will take a look.

Thanks
    I don't remember ISO Recorder not working with Home. Be sure you grabbed that right version. It's quite finicky. You must use V1 for RTM and SP1 and V2 for SP2 only. V2 is not backwards-compatible. CDRWin should take care of you though.
    dynamik wrote:
    I don't remember ISO Recorder not working with Home. Be sure you grabbed that right version. It's quite finicky. You must use V1 for RTM and SP1 and V2 for SP2 only. V2 is not backwards-compatible. CDRWin should take care of you though.

Im afraid the ISO Recorder installation crapped out with some error or other. I have XP Service Pak 2. Disappointing.

I will try the goldenhawk link now!
    dynamik wrote:

Ok Im trying the CDRWIN from goldenhawk now. I have loaded the ISO file as a track and its recording slowly now. Is that right? It seems so.
    Click the "File Backup and Tools" button then select "Record an ISO9660 / UDF image file" from the drop-down list. It'll go slow because of the 1x trial recording speed.
    dynamik wrote:
    Click the "File Backup and Tools" button then select "Record an ISO9660 / UDF image file" from the drop-down list. It'll go slow because of the 1x trial recording speed.

Ok I will try that! I just tried copying before and the ISO went onto the disk but it appeared as a track :) Another CD in the bin.

Gotta love it. Lets see what happens with this burn!

I will check the spec of the other DL360 I have, the best one will become a VMWare machine at some point, the smaller spec will be the Netware 5 server.
    Ok I will put aside the DL360 which has 2 x 1G Processors and 1G memory to be the VMWare server. I assume that is a decent spec.
    Yea, it's alright. It sounded like you wanted to have a lot going, so your RAM is going to limit you more than anything. I'd imagine you can bump that up quite cheaply. It's definitely good to get started with though.
    dynamik wrote:
    Yea, it's alright. It sounded like you wanted to have a lot going, so your RAM is going to limit you more than anything. I'd imagine you can bump that up quite cheaply. It's definitely good to get started with though.

Ok the goldenhawk application cdrwin looks like it may help with the ISO image burn but my last writable CD crapped out at 72% for some reason. I will get another box of disks today and see if I can burn this image and update the firmware on the proliant.
  • hugoluckyhugolucky Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:

The goldenhawk app did the job. I have managed to create that bootable maintenance CD I needed and update the firmware on the DL360. Thanks a lot!
    Burning again so thought I would update the thread. I have updated the firmware on both DL360's using the burned HP Proliant Maintenance 7.4.0 CD now.

Next up is the Windows Server 2003 evaluation. I tried to burn the enterprise edition but it crapped out towards the end so thats another coaster..

Im now trying to download the standard edition. I will see if I can burn that one properly. If I get windows server 2003 installed on one of the DL360 it will become a dynamips server. I would like to see dynamips running before I attempt to get it working on linux.

The second DL360 which had the firmware update is working just fine. It has an install of Netware 5.1 and I checked that this comes up as expected and that everything is fine. Unfortuately the evaluation server licence for this device has expired.

I have loaded a 500 connection evaluation licence on this device today.
    I will patch this server later today if I can stop making CD-R coasters ;) I will attempt to connect to this server using Novell Client from my laptop in due course. There is some older hardware coming from ebay soon which will be the 4.1 server. I even have a copy a 3.1 at home. The intention is a Netware server farm covering the different versions, including 6 in due course. This will all be for training and possibly consulting purposes later in the year as teh new Novell tracks emerge.

I do need a dynamips installation for cisco however so hopefully I can get that evaluation ISO burned properly for the other machine.

The Compaq KVM is working correctly so it's been a productive morning so far. Now I need to pop out to get a replacement for the busted keyboard.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    hugolucky wrote:
    I use the free CDBurnerXP for almost all my burning and ISO needs. I detail a few other free, useful software tools in a blog article.

Most of the problems I encounter are because of incompatibilities between specific CD/DVD burner drives and types of media (CD+/-R/W and DVD+/-R/W) than I do problems with the burning software itself. Web sites like CDFreaks.com are a good place to check what’s new and read reliable reviews and about CD/DVD burners.
    Turgon wrote:
    Burning again so thought I would update the thread. I have updated the firmware on both DL360's using the burned HP Proliant Maintenance 7.4.0 CD now.

Next up is the Windows Server 2003 evaluation. I tried to burn the enterprise edition but it crapped out towards the end so thats another coaster..

Im now trying to download the standard edition. I will see if I can burn that one properly. If I get windows server 2003 installed on one of the DL360 it will become a dynamips server. I would like to see dynamips running before I attempt to get it working on linux.

The second DL360 which had the firmware update is working just fine. It has an install of Netware 5.1 and I checked that this comes up as expected and that everything is fine. Unfortuately the evaluation server licence for this device has expired.

I have loaded a 500 connection evaluation licence on this device today.
    I will patch this server later today if I can stop making CD-R coasters ;) I will attempt to connect to this server using Novell Client from my laptop in due course. There is some older hardware coming from ebay soon which will be the 4.1 server. I even have a copy a 3.1 at home. The intention is a Netware server farm covering the different versions, including 6 in due course. This will all be for training and possibly consulting purposes later in the year as the new Novell tracks emerge.

I do need a dynamips installation for cisco however so hopefully I can get that evaluation ISO burned properly for the other machine.

The Compaq KVM is working correctly so it's been a productive morning so far. Now I need to pop out to get a replacement for the busted keyboard.
    dynamik wrote:
    Here is something else I came across since we spoke last: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/the-best-free-alternatives-to-nero-cddvd-burner/
    Of those burner utilities the only ones I've used are InfraRecorder and ImgBurn, and they are both quite good, but I've never found a reason not to use CDBurnerXP.
    Ok I couldn't download the Windows 2003 evaluation CD1 and CD2 using my internet connection. Files are over 500M and the download drops out. I have been able to download it using a different internet connection to a laptop and transfered the files using the USB flash I have to my home computer. Now I am burning what appears to be an .IMG file as opposed to a ISO file so I might get another useless coaster pretty soon.
    Cool. We got a coaster again! It must be the file type. IMG instead of ISO. It may be time to google. The CD burner works, the software works, the CD-R's are fine.

We get this fun message..

Error 'Finish TAO Recording command failed on drive 1:1:0 Read/Write error or bad medium detected.
    How old is your burner drive? You've already updated to the latest firmware, so the next test would be to use older media or a different (newer) burner drive.
    JDMurray wrote:
    How old is your burner drive? You've already updated to the latest firmware, so the next test would be to use older media or a different (newer) burner drive.

The arrangement of CR burner, CD-R's and software did give me a bootable Proliant Maintenance CD last week. It's a problem local to the burning of the 2003 server evaluation .IMG files.

The firmware update is on the Proliant DL360. Im going to load Windows 2003 server on it which is why I need the bootable CD creating. The burner drive is on my home PC. Don't worry I have tried your recommended Imgburn at home, I installed it and that has given me a burned evaluation of Windows 2003 server. Great.

I will test it when I get home from an afternoon out with the family. I want dynamips on the proliant that has 2 x 1GHz Processors, as opposed to the spare one I have that runs 2 x 800Mhz Processors. The 2 x 1Ghz processor machine is a Netware 5.1 test server. I will flatten that install and put Windows 2003 server on it. The lower spec machine can be the new Netware 5.1 server.

Better backup the config.sys in the DOS partition before I flatten the Netware server..the lines in it are essential to get the CDROM working so I can install NW5.1 once the DOS partition is created.

Thanks
    TAO = track at once. I believe you should be using DAO (disc at once) if you're burning image files.
    Ok I installed Windows 2003 server on the Proliant. The issue now is the evaluation comes on two CD's. The second CD 'seems' ok but there is no sign of setup2.exe on it so I can't seem to complete the installation with the extra bits I may need later on for windows 2003 server. If anyone has installed the evaluation and has any ideas about this I would be glad to hear from you.