How to best keep an unsued laptop?

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
I won't be using a laptop for three, four months. Should I expect any surprises after turnning it on after that extended period, e.g. dead battery, hard drive, etc.?

Any advicd what I should do to keep it in good shape?

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's a good idea to remove the battery when you store any electrical device for a long period of time.

Just use your judgment on the storage conditions (temperature, humidity, etc.), and you shouldn't have any surprises.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Aside from removing the battery as mentioned, I cannot think of what you'd have any additional problems.

Keep in a safe place.
    (avoid cracking the LCD, dropping, etc.. ;) ).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Since noone else mentioned, I won't take any cracks at the topic title. icon_lol.gif

As stated above, just remove the battery. I can't imagine anything happening to your laptop when it's just going to be sitting there.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • TeslTesl Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow, it seems that nothing is safe from litigators in the US these days eh?
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    You could wrap in newspaper put it in a box wrapped in tin foil in a bigger box wrapped in bubble wrap which is locked in a wooden chest in the far corner of your loft

Ok i went a bit over the top icon_lol.gif maybe miss out the bubble wrap icon_lol.gif

Lee H
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    just send it to me... i'll take car of it.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sometimes friends like to get a hold of old hardware that you have laying around in order to mess with you.

I would expect

* Different languages
    * Massive fonts
    * local GPO settings rendering your laptop useless
    * XXX on the desktop
    * keyboard missing
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!