Options

VTP domain mismatch error.

anisanis Member Posts: 34 ■□□□□□□□□□
HI all,
I have a 3550 switch where there are a few vlan’s implemented. It is just working fine with all the Vlan’s. It is connected to a router on the fa0/1 and other ports went to different switches according to VLAN's. Now, when I log in to the switch through console port I face the following errors message which does not let me work. However, when I telnet I don’t get any errors and its the only way that I can go through my configuration and troubleshotting.

First, not sure of what’s going on, I first thought there is a VTP domain mismatch. I made the switch mode transparent and also tried with different vtp domain name. Now, can it be possible that some of our customers have put new switch with a new vtp server with a different vtp domain name? Then why did not the "transparent" mode solve this issue? Anyway, the error is like following:

“17w1d: %CDP-4-DUPLEX_MISMATCH: duplex mismatch discovered on FastEthernet0/5 (no
t half duplex), with Switch FastEthernet0/9 (half duplex).
17w1d: %CDP-4-NATIVE_VLAN_MISMATCH: Native VLAN mismatch discovered on FastEther
net0/5 (3), with Switch FastEthernet0/9 (1).
17w1d: %CDP-4-NATIVE_VLAN_MISMATCH: Native VLAN mismatch discovered on FastEther
net0/5 (3), with Switch
17w1d: %DTP-5-DOMAINMISMATCH: Unable to perform trunk negotiation on port Fa0/5
because of VTP domain mismatch.
17w1d: %DTP-5-DOMAINMISMATCH: Unable to perform trunk negotiation on port Fa0/5
because of VTP domain mismatch.
17w1d: %CDP-4-DUPLEX_MISMATCH: duplex mismatch discovered on FastEthernet0/2”

Now, I am confused about how to troubleshoot this.

Note: I don’t require any vtp domain active on my network. Does disable of VTP domain solve this issue?

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    Looks like 2 errors, besides the duplex mismatch.

Per the error, int f0/5 on your switch and int f0/9 on the other end have different native vlans. Do you control the switch that f0/9 is on? If so, find out what its native vlan is and change it to match the native vlan on f0/5.

Do a show run int f0/5 and f0/9 on the respective switches and you'll see the difference between them.

Also do a sh vtp status on both switches to get some info on the vtp mismatch error.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can't disable VTP on the switch, just put it in transparent mode. If you need a trunk on the switch interface you can set the mode to on then the VTP domain name doesn't matter. You need to fix the native vlan on the tunk port, at this point I would guess they are both access and this side seems to have the access vlan set to 3 and the other side is set to 1.

The duplex mismatch on Fa0/5 seems to indicate you've set this side to full and on the remot switch interface fa0/9 is set to auto or half duplex.
    The only easy day was yesterday!