Options

Bad book answers or am I just missing something?

BviperBviper Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I recently purchased the cisco press book "Interconnecting Cisco Network Devices, Part 1 (ICND1)" by Steve McQuerry, now after completing the second set of review questions, I'm beginning to get a bit concerned over the answers in the back.

Here are two examples:

What is the purpose of a switch?

a. To connect separate networks and filter the traffic over those networks so that the data is transmitted through the most efficient route.
b. To choose the path over which data is sent to its destination.
c. To server as the endpoint in the network, sending and receiving data.
d. To provide network attachment to the end systems and intelligent switching of the data within the local network.

Books answer: C

Now the last time I checked COMPUTERS were the endpoints of networks sending and receiving data...

Match each of the following steps of the physical Catalyst switch startup process to its description.

____ Step 1

____ Step 2

____ Step 3

a. Attach the power cable plug to the switch power supply socket
b. Observe the boot sequence, including the Cisco IOS software output text on the console
c. Verify that all cable connections are secure, the terminal is connected to the console, port, and the console terminal application is selected

Books Answer: A, B, C

Shouldn't you check all the cables are secure, the terminal is connection, and the console application is open before viewing the output text on the console???

There are quite a few more. These are just two of the most blatantly obvious ones in my eyes, now if I'm wrong feel free to poke as much fun as you want at me, but I don't see how these could be right. I no longer trust the answers in the book.

Comments

• Options
    jmoorsejmoorse Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Bviper wrote:
    I recently purchased the cisco press book "Interconnecting Cisco Network Devices, Part 1 (ICND1)" by Steve McQuerry, now after completing the second set of review questions, I'm beginning to get a bit concerned over the answers in the back.

Here are two examples:

What is the purpose of a switch?

a. To connect separate networks and filter the traffic over those networks so that the data is transmitted through the most efficient route.
    b. To choose the path over which data is sent to its destination.
    c. To server as the endpoint in the network, sending and receiving data.
    d. To provide network attachment to the end systems and intelligent switching of the data within the local network.

Books answer: C

Now the last time I checked COMPUTERS were the endpoints of networks sending and receiving data...

Match each of the following steps of the physical Catalyst switch startup process to its description.

____ Step 1

____ Step 2

____ Step 3

a. Attach the power cable plug to the switch power supply socket
    b. Observe the boot sequence, including the Cisco IOS software output text on the console
    c. Verify that all cable connections are secure, the terminal is connected to the console, port, and the console terminal application is selected

Books Answer: A, B, C

Shouldn't you check all the cables are secure, the terminal is connection, and the console application is open before viewing the output text on the console???

There are quite a few more. These are just two of the most blatantly obvious ones in my eyes, now if I'm wrong feel free to poke as much fun as you want at me, but I don't see how these could be right. I no longer trust the answers in the book.

I would reccomend the Lammle SYBEX CCNA book. Check that it is focused on the 640-802 exam. The online pdfs are great to brush up on 'exact' questions.

Also remember Cisco usually says "Choose the best answer", though in this case these answers are just plain wrong.
    To err is human.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    For the CCNA, most people here would suggest Wendell Odom's CCNA Certification Library from Cisco Press if you are just starting out with Cisco. If you've been around the block a few times with Cisco devices in your job -- then maybe the Todd's Sybex could work for you. Usually we'll just recommend that you get both.

The Stephen McQuerry book obviously needs some more work. There currently are no eratta pages to download -- at least until you email (or call) Cisco Press and let them know about the issues you've found.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mileage1969mileage1969 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm afraid that whilst being excellent the Wendell Odom's Cisco Press books are also full of mistakes. I think it's just bad editing but it can throw you sometimes! At least it keeps you on your toes!
    Save Water - Drink BEER!
  • Options
    BviperBviper Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The book itself is great... haven't noticed any errors (although at this point that could be a bad thing) the answer key just looks as if someone with very limited knowledge of networks put down their first guess.