It's official, I am in love.

Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
No, no no..not "that" kind of love...Cisco love. Like a child in a candy store, I've just tried Dynamips for the first time. I have been swearing on rack rentals for a while....now, I have the racks I rented at my fingertips, for free. This is fantastic.

For someone who works with cisco regularly, I am way too excited about this. I got the first lab up and running, set my idlepc values, etc..CPU usage isn't exceeding around 8-13% (granted, I only have 4 routers up, and I haven't monitored it while configuring)....

Now if only I could do the same with PIX. I guess I still have to hit Ebay for that. Oh well.

I will say though, although Dynamips is great, I still intend on adding to my router collection. While it's great to use the actual OS (plus, it gives more of a real world feel..you don't always have physical access to a router you have to troubleshoot!), I much rather have a router in front of me. This should hold me over at least for a little while!

..gonna go play now...

Comments

• Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    Now if only I could do the same with PIX. I guess I still have to hit Ebay for that. Oh well.
    Actually, i think there is an emulator out there some where.

Although, i'll probably still try to find a Pix for less than $150. i see them every once in a while...
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Doesn't ASA replace PIX? 'course I know little about firewalls since I've never really touched one in my work. icon_lol.gif
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah, I'm a super firewall newbie. I don't intend on specializing in security, but I want to be able to get around on one decently.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start with learning your way around one? I've got the CBT Nugget archive server through my work, so I have CBT nuggets on the PIX, but I'm a hands on guy..no idea what model to start looking for on ebay..

• PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    KGhaleon wrote:
    Doesn't ASA replace PIX? 'course I know little about firewalls since I've never really touched one in my work. icon_lol.gif

Yes it does, many companies replacing pix's with ASA's now, infact i have to do a project to do exactly that this month. I beleive ASA is web based with SDM tool, but I could be wrong, will have to play sooN!
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
    PEMU looks like it could be my next toy. Doing a bit of research off that link darth...thanks. Have you used it before?
    Mrock4 wrote:
    PEMU looks like it could be my next toy. Doing a bit of research off that link darth...thanks. Have you used it before?
    nope

Oh, so you set me up as the guinea pig huh? I see how this works...

We'll see :).....I am downloading it now. I'll either be hooked, or go back to my Dynamips lab.
    what would be SUPER nice is if someone could come out with a switch emulator..

Yeah it would. Better yet..a sort of interface so you could communicate between Dynamips and such an emulator..

Messed with PEMU/QEMU..keep getting strange errors when opening it. Might mess with it later. Gonna play with EIGRP stuff tonight before I get to bed.

I love this movie.."The illusionist"...watching it while I attempt to study..
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    I am also in love, its Pancake teusday here in UK, gonna get my lips round some tasty pancakes after tea i cant wait :P

Lee H
    Lee H wrote:
    I am also in love, its Pancake teusday here in UK, gonna get my lips round some tasty pancakes after tea i cant wait :P

Lee H

Hah. My buddy (who is moving to london in a year) who has spent a lot of time there said "dude, it's pancake tuesday.......", I thought he was crazy till I read your post...
    Mrock4 wrote:
    Lee H wrote:

Lee H

Hah. My buddy (who is moving to london in a year) who has spent a lot of time there said "dude, it's pancake tuesday.......", I thought he was crazy till I read your post...
    any luck with PEMU?

• APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Pash wrote:
    KGhaleon wrote:

Yes it does, many companies replacing pix's with ASA's now, infact i have to do a project to do exactly that this month. I beleive ASA is web based with SDM tool, but I could be wrong, will have to play sooN!

Yep we are considering purchasing an dual ASA's to replace our failover PIX configuration :)

PIX firewalls can be configured via web interface ASDM as well.... Well I use a PIX 515E with 7.2 OS and I know it has ASDM but I prefer CLI!! :p

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    any luck with PEMU?

Nah. I worked a lot later today than I expected..it's now 10pm, and I gotta get to bed in a couple of hours, and I haven't began my mini-labs for the night. I'm sure I'll be more motivated this weekend though.
  • Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    Mrock4 wrote:
    Lee H wrote:

Lee H

so like, every tuesday. everyone in the uk gets together and eat pancakes and drinks tea?
    i herd u leik mudkips lol
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Not quite, just one day in the year

lol
  • Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    Lee H wrote:
    Not quite, just one day in the year

lol

icon_lol.gif
    i herd u leik mudkips lol