Deleted folder in Outlook

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

I had a call today, a user had Shift-Deleted the wrong folder in Outlook and he was asking me if there was any way to get it back

I was informed by one of my colleagues that it would cost £40,000 to get it back because they would have to take down the exchange server

Is this true?

Is it possible to get folders back when they have been Shift-Deleted without involving the exchange server, i mean can something be done at the client

Any info would be great

Lee H

Comments

• MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm not sure how shift-delete affects an exchange server but there are a few methods to recover items.

1) The trash can in outlook.

2) Recover Delete Items option [requires the configuration on the exchange server and 2003 or better]

3) Running tools [Ontrack] on a backup of the exchange database
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
    did a quick google for this too

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246153

You may learn something!
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    I'm thinking your colleagues are incorrect.

Do you have a recent backup or exmerge of their mailbox?
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds like they are not using a brick level agent on the Exchange server. They could build a duplicate Exchange server in the lab and restore the database to that server and then pull the folder from there.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    In this case (unless the dumpster always on reg setting is enabled), you are forced to perform a restore (hopefully to another server) and then you can use exmerge to restore the folder.

-Travis
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just use Recover Deleted items. By default, the Exchange server will have deleted item retention turned on (2003 default stores it for 7 days while 2007 stores it for 14). If this method doesn't work, create a Recovery Storage group, restore backup to the Recovery Storage Group, and merge the data. Either that or export the data to a pst, import that pst for that user, and have them copy the deleted folder to their live mailbox. If that doesn't work, then create a VM in production, promote it to a DC, shut that VM down, copy the VM files to the lab environment, build Exchange on top of that DC, restore the databases, and extract that folder to a pst and import it as I explained before. You can then demote the VM DC you promoted in your production environment.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
    royal wrote:
    Just use Recover Deleted items. By default, the Exchange server will have deleted item retention turned on (2003 default stores it for 7 days while 2007 stores it for 14). If this method doesn't work, create a Recovery Storage group, restore backup to the Recovery Storage Group, and merge the data. Either that or export the data to a pst, import that pst for that user, and have them copy the deleted folder to their live mailbox. If that doesn't work, then create a VM in production, promote it to a DC, shut that VM down, copy the VM files to the lab environment, build Exchange on top of that DC, restore the databases, and extract that folder to a pst and import it as I explained before. You can then demote the VM DC you promoted in your production environment.

I would have assumed that shift-del on a folder would be permanent deletion? I will have to check this.

-Travis
    royal wrote:

Ontrack tools are so much nicer to use than anything else once you have gone through the pains to restore a database from a backup. Have you used them?

You may learn something!
    theseman wrote:
    royal wrote:

I would have assumed that shift-del on a folder would be permanent deletion? I will have to check this.

-Travis

Not sure if shift + delete bypasses the Dumpster. Let me know what you find out. I've never had to deal with a user needing to recover from shift + delete.
    Mishra wrote:
    royal wrote:

Ontrack tools are so much nicer to use than anything else once you have gone through the pains to restore a database from a backup. Have you used them?

Never checked those tools out. Link?
    royal wrote:
    theseman wrote:
    royal wrote:

-Travis

Not sure if shift + delete bypasses the Dumpster. Let me know what you find out. I've never had to deal with a user needing to recover from shift + delete.

It would seem there is no dumpster for these ones, unless you modify the reg setting in the linked KB article in one of the posts above. I also have never had a user shift-del something, thank goodness!!

-Travis
    royal wrote:
    Mishra wrote:
    royal wrote:

http://www.ontrackpowercontrols.com/

Basically you launch the app. Connect to the flat file of the database (or an unmounted database or live database) then connect to your production exchange server. Drag and drop the emails or mailboxes you want restored and presto its done.

It is the only application that I've seen that can communication with those goofy jet databases Exchange uses. Great app.

You may learn something!
    Mishra wrote:
    royal wrote:
    Mishra wrote:
    royal wrote:

http://www.ontrackpowercontrols.com/

Basically you launch the app. Connect to the flat file of the database (or an unmounted database or live database) then connect to your production exchange server. Drag and drop the emails or mailboxes you want restored and presto its done.

It is the only application that I've seen that can communication with those goofy jet databases Exchange uses. Great app.

Sounds like Quest Recovery Manager for Exchange.
    Also, another thing you should be able to do is database portability. Just create a VM domain environment, install Exchange 2007 into it, create a new database with the same name as the old one, do not mount it, allow the database to be overwritten, restore the database to a seperate location, take the database and log files and place them in the database/log directory that you created, mount the database, create the user in AD that's having the issue, disconnect the mailbox, re-assign it to that user, launch Outlook, connect it to that mailbox, export folder to PST, import PST in production environment.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You can't do "deleted item recovery" on items that are shift-deleted.

What are you using to back up your exchange servers? I know Backup Exec and Netbackup, if the Exchange agent is used (and your server admins need to be kicked in the nuts if they're not using it), can very easily restore down to the individual item level.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    I Doubt this company would be willing to have the exchange guys rescue this file so its pretty much gone forever, i felt sorry for the poor guy

Thanks for all your info guys n gals

Lee H
    Try this before giving up:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886205/

It'll allow Outlook 2003 to recover hard-deleted items from the dumpster.
  • SWMSWM Member Posts: 287
    Really easy to recover with backup Exec 11D.

Put in the tape that does have the missing folder, start Restore, BE11D restores entire info store to a temp folder, extracts the users deleted folder you need and puts it back into the users Inbox.

Did one last week, took about 1.5 hrs as my info store is 50GB, but it was painless.

Note Backup Exec nees to me uptodate serice pack wise other wise its a PITA
    Isn't Bill such a Great Guy!!!!
  • nedved31nedved31 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For fixing like situation you can try microsoft outlook mail recovery. This tool can restore data without modifying source information of damaged files. It works under low system requirements.
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Your Exchange guy(s) and Backup guy(s) should be fired. That's mildly retarded. No excuse to not have proper brick level backups that will let you restore individual objects in a mailbox WITHOUT taking the Exchange server offline.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Everyone wrote: »
    Your Exchange guy(s) and Backup guy(s) should be fired. That's mildly retarded. No excuse to not have proper brick level backups that will let you restore individual objects in a mailbox WITHOUT taking the Exchange server offline.

Although the thread came back from the dead this is true.
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Although the thread came back from the dead this is true.

Haha, too early in the morning, I didn't even notice the 1 post wonder brought the thread back to spam a product.
  • EmmaWEmmaW Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You can recovery your folder and it's content with the help of a third party data recovery software, i will suggest you to use Kernel for PST recovery software for the same purpose. You can recover complete mailbox items; calendars, tasks, schedules, notes, journals, attachments, images, email properties etc. for more details - outlookrepairpst.com