tutorial for converting base 10 numbers to ip addresses

livenliven Member Posts: 918
Anyone know where I can get some decent instructions and maybe some practice questions for this?
encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.

Comments

• BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I believe you mean convert base 10 to base 2 (or vice versa)...correct? Shouldn't you already know this, being that you have your CCNA?
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • livenliven Member Posts: 918
    BeaverC32 wrote:
    I believe you mean convert base 10 to base 2 (or vice versa)...correct? Shouldn't you already know this, being that you have your CCNA?

I guess your correct.

However I don't remember having to convert entire IP addresses to base 10 for the CCNA exam. I remember having to do some conversion (base 10 to base 2).

But nothing like:

convert 1110325108

to an dotted decimal IP address or the reverse.

I guess it is one of the exam topics, but most of the stuff I did was converting Hex to decimal to binary, but never an entire ip address.

I guess my question is do you start from the left or the right?

I found a formual:

A standard IP is "base 256." To convert 66.46.55.116 to base 10 the formula is:
    66 x (256)3 + 46 x (256)2 + 55 x (256)1 + 116 = 1110325108

And I am pretty certain that this was NOT covered in any of my CCNA studies. Actually I came across this while studying for CEH. This technique is used to obfuscate IP addresses in code.

I have actually started to deal with this at work as well. We write and use software that compares network flows. TO do this we use C code to convert everything to base 10, and then back to dotted decimal, after comaprison is done. Then perl handles generating reports.

But like I said I have never had to do this in my head or by hand, and don't know if I will be able to. Studying for the CEH makes me feel as if it might be necessary.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=11219#11219

[edit]
    Sorry, you made it sound like you were just referring a part of subnetting. What you're trying to do is totally different.
    I guess I asked the wrong question. I really appriciate everyones response, and wanting to make sure I know how to do what cisco said I needed to do for my test. And I am pretty sure I got that hang of what I need for the CCNA. However I can say I am pretty certain the type of conversion I am talking about here is not a CCNA topic.

I need to be able to convert IP address in dotted decimal format to a regular old number.

I think it is called convert base 10 to IP.

I just don't know if I will be able to do it by hand the math is kinda ruff...

Example.

Convert: 66.46.55.116 to base 10
    A standard IP is "base 256." To convert 66.46.55.116 to base 10 the formula is:

66 x (256)3 + 46 x (256)2 + 55 x (256)1 + 116 = 1110325108

Now that was kind of hard, but what about going the opposite direction?

convert:

to IP...

Now that seems REALLY hard....

Hopefully there will not be to many questions of that nature..
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Unless you are just wanting to crunch numbers, I don't think you would ever need to do that in the real world or for an exam.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
    dynamik wrote:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=11219#11219

[edit]
    Sorry, you made it sound like you were just referring a part of subnetting. What you're trying to do is totally different.

Hey thanks for the link, it helped me realize I am only partially crazy.
    Netstudent wrote:
    Unless you are just wanting to crunch numbers, I don't think you would ever need to do that in the real world or for an exam.

I really hope you are correct.

I have come across this topic while studying for the CEH, just don't know how far they are going to take it...