Options

telephone VOIP or just telephone?

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey guys..I had a tour of a bank the other day. They have P2P T1 lines to their branches
but there telephone runs to each branch on this sameline they use like a i think a 2600 router
with RJ-11 jacks it looks like maybe 4 or theem for each wire to go into.

Is this VOIP or just telephone running to each location via serial? confused

I dont think it is VOIP. What do you think?
I think it is just telephone lines dedicated to each branch.
the router is used as a telephone thingy? would the 2600 be used as PBX or POTS
confused where could I get informationo on this setup
thanks

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It sounds like a VOIP setup if the phones are connected to the router. If they are connected to a PBX or MUX in before the T1 connects to the router then it's mst likely just a TDM circuit.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    dtlokee
    thanks for replying
    what i saw of it it either comes from a PBX to the router and then through the T1 i didnt ge tto see pas the cables from the 2600 router with the 4 all call them 4 Rj11 connection cards inside the 2600 router...

yeah you would think all the phones in the building go into a pbx and then to the router and the router to the T1 right? then that is VOIP? or just routing through the router. but
    why would it need a router? unless to speak to the adtran??

TDM if

pbx is before the router Rj11 cards.

VOIP if?? what is the order of devices?

sorry i am confusing myself i thought all telephone needed to go thrugh pbx or some kind of telphone controller?
    i just need the order of devices thanks bud!
    i appreciate your knowledge!
  • Options
    Yeah it's most likely VoIP, using the data network to replace the tie lines they had to the central office network.
  • Options
    voip due to using a T1 and Adtran? cause I didnt see any pbx before it just like the 4 wires separate into a 2600 router with individual RJ11 cards..I might get to see it for reals ;hee

while you are around BIG D! do you know what other options a person could have besides
    T1 lines that are secure for a banks and fast? I was thinking using internet and using VPN system setup between building and using the www adn static ips but
    then what do I do with the phone voip! between branches without the T1 not good huh
    i guess i need a T1 for the VOIP to branch to branch huh? they are looking for cheaper ways.
    did think of maybe frame relay circuit between branch office is that secure and encrypted
    and maybe a viable option with still using VOIP???? i thought FR was secure for banks huh?
    thanks
  • Options
    Depends on what they have now, MPLS will most likely be the best solution (many providers are phasing out their frame networks for MPLS)
  • Options
    dtlokee

thanks for advice will look into it! ;)
    will tell you how it goes....

;D
    rober