Testing external DNS

SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
Hi Everyone

I'm looking for some places to Test our external DNS servers out

I've goggled it and tried a few tools and they all seem to be working fine

but we have a company that can not send us email they get smtp error 550 relaying denied 5.7.1

I've done NS lookups on our server and it works I've tried a few tools in Google and it works

but this one company is having issues and has been for a while

their Admin said it times out on him in 2 seconds when we query it but sometimes it does resolve

I honestly do not know if 2 seconds in acceptable or not it seems a little quick for a time out though to me

Comments

• SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    Any one know if the time outer on this companies server should be a bit higher than 2 seconds

or is that standard??
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Smallguy wrote:
    but we have a company that can not send us email they get smtp error 550 relaying denied 5.7.1

Sounds like a SMTP error not a DNS error, that would say somthing like the server cannot be found. Make sure it's your SMTP server that is producing the NDR and not theirs.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    dnsreport.com is a pretty good way to check your MX records.
    dtlokee wrote:
    Smallguy wrote:

Sounds like a SMTP error not a DNS error, that would say somthing like the server cannot be found. Make sure it's your SMTP server that is producing the NDR and not theirs.

it is their server producing the error
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You need more than the error code, the error he gets should tell him the name of the server that is throwing the error and other details. It could be his ISP, his mail server, or your mail server. Probably not your mail server, if you are getting all of your other mail.

Here's a couple of sites you can use to test stuff

dnsreport.com
    hq42.net
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    blargoe wrote:
    You need more than the error code, the error he gets should tell him the name of the server that is throwing the error and other details. It could be his ISP, his mail server, or your mail server. Probably not your mail server, if you are getting all of your other mail.

Here's a couple of sites you can use to test stuff

dnsreport.com
    hq42.net

thank you

I'm pretty confident it is not our server as this is the only group having the issue

We are still working things out but so far so solution
  • d4nmfd4nmf Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As above, get him to fax you the NDR so you can try and point out the error...its probably a lazy system admin on the other companies side..
    d4nmf wrote:
    As above, get him to fax you the NDR so you can try and point out the error...its probably a lazy system admin on the other companies side..

it magically started working he says I must have changed something... which I did not

I really do not care what was changed on his end just that it does work now