VPC2007- how to do routing ?

indyguyindyguy Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
hi all

Im a newbie to advanced networking with RRAS.
And i am running a virtual machine with VPC2007 and all of these 3 OS`s are networked and work fine
1x win2003 domain controller
1x win2003 member server
1x win-xp client
and now i want to learn routing and remote access
I want to create a diff network with a diff subnetmask
so if i create the same config as above with different subnet

How do i get these 2 networks to communicate to each other.

in a real world u need a router to do the job

How can i do this task in VPC

i might be all nuts here .. but just dont have the money to buy
additional kit ... just have one system trying to do my best here with it ..
any ideas suggestions appreciated

thanks all

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The 2003 with RRAS will be your router. You just need to configure it with two NICs, and assign one to each subnet. Then you'll have to configure RRAS with static routes, RIP, or OSPF in order to get data routed between the two subnets.
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You need to add a new network adapter to the one you want to configure for routing in the properties of the virtual pc (make sure it's turned off and not supended). Then you can configure one of the devices on a host only LAN to simulate the inside network and bridge the other adapter to the real network so you can route to it.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • indyguyindyguy Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    The 2003 with RRAS will be your router. You just need to configure it with two NICs, and assign one to each subnet. Then you'll have to configure RRAS with static routes, RIP, or OSPF in order to get data routed between the two subnets.

cheers for that mate ... will try it when i get home today ....
    just to clarify the other subnet2 can have its own domain controller though yeah ... ??
    and if i have the setup like wat u have just told me to do ... i can even practise my VPN yeah ?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yes and Yes. I just downloaded VPC to check out it's networking options, and it doesn't appear to be as flexible as VMWare Workstation (VMWare allows you to assign your NICs to virtual subnets, which is really slick for these types of things).

DT, is it possible to do something like this with VPC? It looks like your recommendation allows him to route between his virtual network and his physical network, but can he have multiple virtual networks?

It looks like VMWare Server (which is free) has the same functionality as Workstation in regards to the virtual networks. It should be able to use your VPC VMs as well. Maybe give that a shot if you can't get VPC to do what you need.
  • indyguyindyguy Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    will try the VPC aswell as the VM and let u know ... thanks for thr redirection though.. was kinda stuck in a dead end!!! cheers dude
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Not only can VMWare Workstation do more advanced networking configurations, but the *freely available* VMWare Server can, too, so there's no reason not to switch... icon_cool.gif
    Good luck to all!