Options

Task manager question

KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
I was taking a MeasureUp test that came with my MSPress book and got hit with a simple question regarding task manager. It went:

"Which of the following pieces of information can be gathered from the task manager? Choose three answers:"

1) Open files
2) CPU utilization
3) Memory usage
4) Packet loss
5) Page file utilization
6) Network utilization

The correct answer is 2, 3 and 6. I know it only allows for three answers...but shouldn't it be 2, 3, 5 and 6? I'm looking at task manager and I can see all of those. Is utilization different from usage?
Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680

Comments

• Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's a bad question. Page File utilization and page file usage really are synonymous with each other.

Page file usage is defined as:
    The amount of paging file being used by the system. If your computer is running near the maximum, you can increase the page file size.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    pryde7pryde7 Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Its tricky but you have to understand that you cannot determine the %tage page file utilization from the task manager since the size is variable.

CPU, network and memory usage all have definite min and max values, hence utilization is directly measured. Like 2% of a 3GHz cpu, 248MB of 1GB and 5% of 10Mbps LAN link.