Options

VTP & VLANs

MikeInMoseleyMikeInMoseley Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
Good morning Gentlemen (and ladies!)

I was wondering if any of you would be able to assist me.

I recently passed my ICND1 640-822 (whoop whoop etc etc)

and i am now into the ICND2 640-816. I'm following the book on VLANs but it is starting to lose me a little! I've watched the nuggests on VLANs(for the 801) and I'm fine with that but the book (cisco press wendell) goes in alot more depth. Does anyone have any advice for how far to go with this topice? Also it would be really usefull if anyone can recommend where i can get some labs on this topic. (i have 3 routers / 1 switch) preferably for free but if there are some labs i can buy for relatively cheap that would be fine aswell.

Any general advice would be appricated.

Many thanks,

Mike

P.S. Great site!

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    VLANs are an important thing to learn not only for the test but for the real world. I'd learn as much as you can on the topic. Why just learn what you need for the exam?

What kind of labs are you looking for? Configuring a VLAN on a switch is pretty simple and you don't really need any lab documentation to do that. I'd suggest you get a couple more switches and mess around with trunks, VTP, spanning tree etc. You can check this out which should have all the configuration guidance you need (and more!).
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    freetechfreetech Member Posts: 154
    To reinforce networker050184's point, VLAN's are very important for the exam and production environments. DO NOT scrimp the study here.
    3 VLAN-capable switches is best, but two will probably suffice (I used two in my study). Just make sure that what you get is 802.1q VLAN capable. Cisco switches like the 2924-XL-EN or 2950 or 2960 or 3550 will do, maybe some others I don't kow about. The 1912 or 1924 is tempting because it's cheap, don't go there. It will not help.
    Experience is a harsh teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick reply guys. I suppose what i mean is i understand VLANs, its just some of the VTP loses me a little. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Regarding the labs what i meant was maybe some PDFs walkthroughs of configuring VLANs and VTP on your routers/switches. I think i want this as i'm a hands on learner but if you don't know really what you're doing it helps to have the walk through guides.
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the quick reply guys. I suppose what i mean is i understand VLANs, its just some of the VTP loses me a little. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Regarding the labs what i meant was maybe some PDFs walkthroughs of configuring VLANs and VTP on your routers/switches. I think i want this as i'm a hands on learner but if you don't know really what you're doing it helps to have the walk through guides.

The above posts apply to VTP as well...Just practice a little bit with it. Experiment with configuring VTP in different ways. Transparent, etc, and watch what happens. I find that getting your hands dirty is the best method, then you really find out what you don't understand, and can begin asking focused intelligent questions regarding the topic.
  • Options
    ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    Could someone please explain why 1900's are poor for CCNA study.

I've read numerous times that they are and you should go for 2950's but I don't know why and want to explain it to someone.

Cheers.
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The commands are different for the 1900. I failed the CCNA for the first time because I only studied the old commands...vlan database, etc. It's best to learn both, but focus on newer switches for the CCNA.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    korszokorszo Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have a 3524XL and will probably look for an additional switch or two. I already have GBICs for this series and am thinking I will purchase the same matching model.

Are these ok for study, and what do they lack compared to 2950s and later?

TIA,
    RK
  • Options
    freetechfreetech Member Posts: 154
    Could someone please explain why 1900's are poor for CCNA study

To explain it in a little more detail, I'll enumerate:
    1. the 1900's use a menu-driven OS, not CLI. The CLI is available on some, depending on the OS, but...
    2. some commands are different, the 1900's use CatOS instead of IOS.
    3. the 1900's use ISL for vlans, instead of 802.1q.
    4. the CCNA is written for the 2950.
    The commands, simulations, show screens are all from a 2950 running IOS 12.x not CatOS.
    If you haven't seen both, there IS quite a difference.

Hope this helps.
    Experience is a harsh teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Actually, the 1900 series runs its own little OS which is neither IOS nor CatOS.

CatOS can be found on all 4000/5000 switches and some 6000's. It is also on the 2926, so watch out for that if you are shopping for 2900's

Two 2900's and one 2950 would be a good investment for a CCNA lab. The 2950 can use the newer IOS commands and the 2900's actually have something the 2950's don't have: the ability to switch between ISL and 802.1q

If you can afford it, get a 3550 instead of a 2950 - they're better for the CCNP if you continue your studies
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice guys.

On my second point (and kind of my main reason for posting) does anyone know any walkthrough labs i can download? I think this would help my understanding. Are the ones from ciscokits.com worth it?
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Google is your friend for basic switch configs

Here's one basic article:

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/networking/?p=428

Ciscokits still likes to include 1900 switches in their kits - you'll be better off getting the switches you need on ebay

2950's go for under $200 these days, a big drop since just last year. Start yourself off with one of those. Then you can add a 2924 or two.

If you want a book that covers all the IOS commands you might run across in the exam try this one:

http://www.bookpool.com/sm/1587201933