Options

After interview communication.

Kain2749Kain2749 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just had an interview with a company that I thought went pretty well, I was wondering what you guys thought about this as an e-mail to the company to see my status. I'm kinda nervous, this would be my first IT job. icon_confused.gif

"Hello,

This is **********, we had a meeting on February 4th, Monday of this week. I was just dropping an e-mail to say thanks for the interview and checking to see if the position is still vacant.

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to hearing from you.

-***"

I mean, I dunno. I suck at this stuff. Am I supposed to make it longer, or keep it short because I'm assuming they're busy?

Comments

• Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    General rule is to send a thank you email/letter 2 days after and interview.

Keep it short and clean. What you have is just about right.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    Kain2749 wrote:
    I just had an interview with a company that I thought went pretty well, I was wondering what you guys thought about this as an e-mail to the company to see my status. I'm kinda nervous, this would be my first IT job. icon_confused.gif

"Hello,

This is **********, we had a meeting on February 4th, Monday of this week. I was just dropping an e-mail to say thanks for the interview and checking to see if the position is still vacant.
    Thanks for your time, and I look forward to hearing from you.
    -***"

I disagree with Daniel333.

I suggest longer and stronger, think cover letter but more brief and more personal. Also use names, be specific who did you meet, interview with, etc.

Some things I include;
    1. Thank them for their time during the interview, tour, job shadow, whatnot. Be specific, not only to get past the generic thanks for your time, but also to remind them of who you are. Maybe you were the only one to shadow a guy named Bob. If you mention how interesting it was to shadow Bob, it should click with the Manager who is writing the letter.
    2. Let them know you are still interested. "My excitement in this position was increased as a result of the interview, tour, etc....."
    3. Explain how you feel now about the job. "I strongly feel I would be a great fit for this position because...."
    4. Close with looking forward to scheduling a followup interview and finish repeating your contact info.
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I agree with Daniel in the sense that it should be short and concise and should arrive 2-3 days after the interview. It shouldn't be more than a paragraph or two in addition to the opening and the closing. I'd definitely take Cacharo's advice and make it more interesting and personal. Look at this as another opportunity for you to leave a favorable impression. You can come up with something better than a generic "Thank you." Send an actual letter instead of an email for bonus points.
  • Options
    cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    dynamik wrote:
    Send an actual letter instead of an email for bonus points.

Agreed. My boss still has mine on his desk from over a year ago. Granted it may be because he is a slob, but nevertheless he still has it. And I got the job.
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • Options
    mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
    I read somewhere a while back a good idea: When you go for interviews bring with you an envelope and stamp and write your thank you letter (hand written) in the car after the interview and drop it right in the nearest mailbox. That way they will get it as soon as they possibly can (next day maybe) and they wont have any time to forget about you. :) Also in my opinion looks impressive.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

"The internet is a great way to get on the net." --Bob Dole
  • Options
    SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    mog27 wrote:
    I read somewhere a while back a good idea: When you go for interviews bring with you an envelope and stamp and write your thank you letter (hand written) in the car after the interview and drop it right in the nearest mailbox. That way they will get it as soon as they possibly can (next day maybe) and they wont have any time to forget about you. :) Also in my opinion looks impressive.

If someone got a hand-written letter from me it would definitely got help. If they could manage to make out half of the words it wouldn't make much sense to them and even if they could read it they would think an 8 year old probably wrote it. For people with bad handwriting like myself you may better off typing everything and put a nice signature under your name in blue ink that they don't need to be able to read anyway since it is printed directly above. I always sign in blue ink because black can sometimes look like it was a copied letter and not an actual signature.

I was commenting on letters in general with everything above, not just post-interview letters.
  • Options
    Kain2749Kain2749 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the prompt advice! I ended up taking a lot of cacharo's ideas. It was around 2 paragraphs long, probably half a page, and I put in a lot of personal things I remembered from the facility tour and stuff. Thanks again!
  • Options
    kate88kate88 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the great advice.The truth is that they have to reject people and if you ask for a reason they'll think of something that may or may not be true.All the best.............icon_twisted.gif

Resume Objective Examples Learn Art Resume Objective