VERY confused about A+ exams...

nukkuznukkuz Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ok guys, I am VERY confused on which tests to take and the names etc, etc.

I want to take CompTIA A+ Essentials and CompTIA A+ 220-602.

I am assuming that the CompTIA A+ essentials is test 220-601???

and obviously the other one is 602...

I am currently in school taking A+ OS and next term I am taking A+ Hardware, which one is for 601 and which one is for 602?

and my confusion here is that someone told me that I have to finish BOTH the OS and the Hardware classes JUST to take essentials??? and that 220-602 is just an elective exam that is very similar to the essentials???

What on earth are my professors talking about!?!?

Thanks...=)

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I believe Core (hardware) and OS recently retired, and you now have to take 601 (Essentials) and 602, 603, or 604. It sounds like they're teaching with an outdated curriculum.

http://certification.comptia.org/a/

I'm sure a lot of it will carry over, so it's not going to be a complete waste of time.
  • eg6_b16a2eg6_b16a2 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    I believe Core (hardware) and OS recently retired, and you now have to take 601 (Essentials) and 602, 603, or 604. It sounds like they're teaching with an outdated curriculum.

http://certification.comptia.org/a/

I'm sure a lot of it will carry over, so it's not going to be a complete waste of time.

So is it fair to say the tech notes on A+ Core are outdated? I was having the same question after doing a bit of looking around on the web...I have been referring to the A+ Core tech notes here to get an understanding on what to expect on the Essentials tests, should I be looking elsewhere?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm not familiar with exactly what has changed. I would look at it this way: The majority of the information will pertain to the new exams as well. Some of the older material likely fell by the wayside, and they have certainly introduced new material.

You can still get a lot out of the older material, but you should also pick up an updated resource as well.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I ended up taking the A+ right when the 2006 became available, so at that time all I had available was the older stuff. When I took the exam it felt different than the study materials I had looked at it pretty much was just application of real world troubleshooting experience and customer service skills. Not too much of an emphasis on memorizing all of the DMA/IRQ configurations, which felt easier to me since you haven't had to do too much with resource management ever since 2000/XP. I would say that if you're a good tech in the real world then the exam will be pretty easy breezy.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    nukkuz wrote:
    What on earth are my professors talking about!?!?

Thanks...=)

Well, I'd recommend you ask them.

First, I don't know why someone would take a class for an exam that is geared toward a candidate with on-the-job experience, but certainly reading things across the web....people do take classes from someplace.

Second, all the information you need about the exam is found at www.comptia.org and even in the stickies at the head of the A+ forum.

Simply put:
    A+ consists of passing 2 exams. Always has been this way.....as of 2006 there is a new option...1 exam (essentials) is required and it is the candidate's choice to select their second exam from 1 of 3 tech-type positions. Depot, remote, or the most common..IT technician.

If you read through the objectives, there is a bit of overlap, so IMO any of the 3 is fine to take, but I'd likely look at IT Tech myself.

As far as the comments regarding the technotes? Yep. they are growing older, however that doesn't mean they are not still valuable nor does it mean you will not find value in them. The data is correct and will not hinder your study. Besides, what's the worst that will happen? you learn something about 'old' technology icon_rolleyes.gif

Meyer's book and Sybex book are two of the best in the industry to assist in one's preparation for A+ exams. Along with hands-on work...there isn't much else to get a person more prepared.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • eg6_b16a2eg6_b16a2 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Plantwiz wrote:
    nukkuz wrote:

As far as the comments regarding the technotes? Yep. they are growing older, however that doesn't mean they are not still valuable nor does it mean you will not find value in them. The data is correct and will not hinder your study. Besides, what's the worst that will happen? you learn something about 'old' technology icon_rolleyes.gif

Meyer's book and Sybex book are two of the best in the industry to assist in one's preparation for A+ exams. Along with hands-on work...there isn't much else to get a person more prepared.

Thxs for the info, i have already ordered Meyer's book 6 and have been reading other networking documentation with the plans to take the exams next month. I just wanted to make sure i was not missing any important information and if i was what materials i should look at.
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    At my school the classes were "A+ Hardware" and "A+ Software" or whatever, but they all followed the current curriculum. We use Jean Andrew's A+ books.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    At my school the classes were "A+ Hardware" and "A+ Software" or whatever, but they all followed the current curriculum. We use Jean Andrew's A+ books.

I've looked at Jean Andrew's books and just wasn't 'wow'd' Several members have stated they've used this book...so it's really up to you if it fits your needs.

As far as your school....they likely are just following the old test methodogly and keeping the lines simple by calling A+ Hardware and Software portions....frankly, that's all you have. It's also a way to charge for 2 classes instead of 1 blended class ;)

If in doubt....always find out from the source. In this case, the school admin...if you are unclear about the naming structure...then ask. They may not even realize it's set up that way because the instructors typically don't name the course...some marketing genius at the school did. If you are following the current Objectives (even a mix of the objectives from all the sections), then you are probably all set.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • aidan80aidan80 Member Posts: 147
    I've used the Jean Andrews A+ book so I could bring myself up to date before sitting the Essentials and I have to admit, I got halfway through the book before I put it on the shelf (where it still sits) and bought Mike Myers A+ Passport. I found the Mike Myers book more to the point of the exam and less of the unneeded junk. I just wanted to know how I had to answer the questions and in what format they came. I also didn't like the "CD" that came with the Jean Andrew's book, it was very basic and simple, videos where terrible as was the simplistic information presented.

This is just my personal opinion, I've been here and done this all before in the classroom and in the real world back home. If I was just starting out again then yes the Jean Andrews book would be a decent investment and the CD would be most useful. The Mike Myers book was quite decent but most of what I got asked on my exam wasn't really in the books it came from on the job experience and common sense.

Onward to 602 next week for me! :D Then at last I'll have a qualification that US employers understand and want (I hope).