Passed today w/ 830 !

sup3r_dansup3r_dan Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
My first cert. Yeah!
I don't know how I got 830, but I'll take it.

FIRST, I NEED TO THANK EVERY1 who contributed to this site and all the helpful info. Initially, I just borrowed books from work (sybex and exam cram). I skimmed through those books for about a month total (off/on) and did each chapter review quiz.

Then I found this site to see how the exam is and immediately got scared from the reviews and all the material other people used to study. Got more serious, downloaded the objectives and started jotting down in a notebook on everything/anything related to the subtopics in each domain (about 2 weeks from books & online). Then went online and started doing every practice exam I could find (2 weeks).

Going into the exam, I felt confident but a little pessimistic. I'm thinking in my head that if there's 100 questions, total score is out of 900, doing the math.. I just need to miss about 15 or less questions. After I went through the first 15 questions, I thought to myself, "I'm in deep ****". Once I got to the last question, I didn't bother reviewing my answers because I figured I already failed and no use in re-thinking "maybe I should of chose this instead of that".
Got my results and immediately wanted to attempt to do a back flip for the first time.. lol.

I work as a contractor (software dev) and deal with personal info, which is the reason I took this. But also wanted to give me options in the future if I wanted to later jump into being a database admin. Thanks Again to every1!

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations icon_thumright.gif

The Security+ has one of, if not the highest passing percentages of all the CompTIA exams. It's definitely not one to take lightly.

Welcome to the site icon_cool.gif
  • Don 79 TADon 79 TA Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    so, i am a little confused on this exam
    about how many can you get wrong and pass?
    10?
    20?

i am preparring for the exam, but i am having an extremly difficult time with the exam cram practice exams
    I read the Sybex book, did extremly well on the questions at the end, but yet not so well on the exam cram. I have not done well on any of the security related Q's on the exams i have taken over the last 3 months

i wanted to take the exam by the end of this month, but i don't think i am prepared just yet
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    sup3r_dan was right. You need approximately 85% out of 100 questions, so you can miss around 15. If you're not doing well, don't take the exam. You're only going to be wasting your money or passing on luck. Take your time and learn the material. The foundation you build now is going to support your future studies. If it's weak, you're going to have a lot more trouble later on.
  • sup3r_dansup3r_dan Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't really know what the magic number is for minimum wrong answers.. I just guestimated. I figured about 85% is passing, so thats where I got 15 from.

While taking the exam, most of the time I was figuring out the answers by process of elimination. But I wouldn't take it if you're not feeling confident on how much you know. Majority of the questions dealt with applying your knowledge. Going into this exam, it doesn't hurt to be over prepared.
    For example, while making my notes I briefly went over extinguishing fires and just generally knew that there are 4 types abcd; I didn't pay attention to which type is used for what, but luckily I went over it again 2 hrs prior to the exam because I had 1 question about it.
    I think if you can honestly ask yourself if you are ready, then go for it. I think I would have benefited waiting probably another 2 weeks, but that's just me and everyone is different.

If any, I hope I helped. Good luck Don
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Congratulations on passing! I'm going to be taking the exam later on today. I'm getting a bit nervous about it now that I know the number of questions you can get wrong though. It wasn't bothering me until now. :) It's probably a good thing I actually apply a lot of this in my current job but there is always more and more to learn.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats icon_cool.gif
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • Don 79 TADon 79 TA Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the info
    so the exam has 100 questions?

i think i am going to take a little chill out... so i can reabsorb the material.
    i don't want to pass on lucky guestimating, as i go further on exams, i want to make sure i know the knowledge.

the piece of paper is ok, but knowing is what i am really after.
  • AnwardAnward Member Posts: 73 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on your pass. well :o done. this exam is know push over. well all exams arent.

BIG CONGRATS
    Remember that when things seems to be going against you, remember that the plane takes off against the wind and not with it