Options

Question for IT managers

cdh67cdh67 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have decided to go back to school for IT. I have been in the automotive industry most of my life and have had enough of the dishonesty of the industry. I have been very good at fixing problems that are pc/network related without any sort of training. I like to read as much as possible and soak up information that I may or may not ever use, but I still listen and learn regardless. So for the last year or so I have researched all the schools in my area and even went in to talk to most of them. I settled on Centriq Foss to go to. I applied for the loan plus living expenses so I could full time. I wanted to concentrate on it only. But I didnt get approved for the loan, and at 27,000 dollars it was expensive. There course gets you ready for MCSA exams. It has A+, Network+,Server+ and the final two Microsoft exams. I already have an A+ and Network+ book and have downloaded the Technotes here and practice exams. Am I better off to find a school to teach me the MCSA or go it alone by myself.? There are some really decent schools here but I didn't want to spend the next three years studying. I know that sounds bad, but I have a high rate of learning and get bored going slow. Most people can read 100 pages and only remember 10 of them, I can remember everything I read. Advice Please?

Comments

• Options
    motherwolfmotherwolf Member Posts: 117
    Dude, if you learn as fast as you say you do then go it alone. You can definitely, without a doubt, do A+ and N+ on your own. As far as the Microsoft stuff, my advice is to set up your own lab at home and practice the theory that your reading. Set up VMware, get yourself a few evaluation versions of Microsoft server and away you go. If you have some extra money(who has extra money these days?) check out CBTnuggets or Trainsignal for some extra study material, they're great resources. 27k is alot of debt hanging over your head. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'll help you earn an MCSA for half of that!

I'm not fond of colleges that simply help you get certs. You basically spend a ton of money on something that will be obsolete in a few years. If you're going to do college, get a reputable degree, even if it isn't in IT. You'll develop many other skills along the way, and it will benefit you much more in the long run.

That place doesn't even seem to know what they're doing. If they told you you'd get an MCSA with that, they're wrong. You need three MS exams and you can use 1-2 CompTIA exams as an elective: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/windows2003/default.mspx

You seem like someone who can teach himself. There's no reason to spend that much money on this. You can usually get courses for $1500-2000, so add those into the mix if you need classroom training. You'll still save some money.
  • Options
    Thanks motherwolf, I needed that. Yes it was alot of debt but I would be done in 4 months going full time and have my MCSA. Trust me, it took a week of hard thinking before I filled out the loan papers and I was still shaking my head thinking that this isnt the best idea.And to be honest, I still think the local community college has a better program that allows the students to fulling understand what they are learning instead of cramming information down your throat just so you pass your exam. The local college has a CCNA and CCNP class rolled together that is four semester's long. Being that I am 35 now, when I finish with the CCNA/CCNP class I would be 37. I think that is the route I will go, in the mean time I can study and build up Cert's in A+,Network+,Security+ and the MCSA on my own. Even after buying some servers,Cisco equipment and etc... I will be money ahead. But the question is " Will anyone hire me"
  • Options
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    I'll help you earn an MCSA for half of that!

Sold where do I send the check?
    You seem like someone who can teach himself.

I am self taught on everything, pc's,cars,construction. I built a Access database for something at work,and it took me a few weeks to understand how to build what I needed. But now even as simple as it is, it works great. I hate asking for help(something I am getting better at) If there is something I cant figure out, I research the very basics then move upward. I really believe that if you understand the problem then the solution is easy. I really want a change in life. I love cars and I used to love the industry, but honestly? The whole thing is nothing but crooks and thiefs. They take advantage of so many people its sickening. But people pay it and just complain later. I need a career where I never stop learning, I hate where after you learn how do something it then comes the boring same thing everyday. I get so bored doing the same thing everything day with no challenges.
  • Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    cdh67 wrote:
    The whole thing is nothing but crooks and thiefs. They take advantage of so many people its sickening.

You're trading crooks and thieves for arrogant know-it-alls and incompetent pinheads. IT has its own downsides icon_cool.gif
    cdh67 wrote:
    I need a career where I never stop learning, I hate where after you learn how do something it then comes the boring same thing everyday. I get so bored doing the same thing everything day with no challenges.

If you have an insatiable desire for knowledge then IT is for you. I like your enthusiasm, but I'm curious to see if you can maintain this attitude. The novelty wears off when you realize that technology and failure go hand-in-hand.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Just keep in mind that if you are leaving an industry you have been in for a long time you are probably going to be taking a significant pay cut to start over in IT. Ensure to keep you expectations in line. I see a lot of people who think being a "computer guy" and getting a couple certs is going to land them an admin job making $75,000 because thats what the salary survey says. Just keep your expectations realistic so you are not dissapointed.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No school can give you the certifications, that is a common sales pitch "you'll have your MCSA in 4 months..." Bottom line you need to study anyhow and need to pass the exams, that is how you earn the certification, not by going to school. Instructor led training is a great resource and can help keep you focused and provide clarity, but you are the one who needs to put in the work to memorize all the facts and practice with the software and hardware. Keep your 27k and go buy some books instead. If you are really interested in going to school you should be able to get all that training for around 10k, not 27k. Look around in your area, and whatever school you may be looking at, make sure you can audit their classes for a few sessions to see how it's run. You don't want to pay 10k for a class then find out it's all Computer Based Training (CBT) or nothing but studying ****.

Good Luck in your journey!
    The only easy day was yesterday!