Options

2520 or NM-4A/S

gonzoflickgonzoflick Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
I want to simulate frame switching and Have considered buying a 2520 or just getting a NM-4A/S for my 2611. What do you all recommend. The NM route would be cheaper, but I want to make sure my 2611 can handle it being that it is my cable modem gateway router as well.

Comments

• Options
    eleguaelegua Member Posts: 282
    gonzoflick wrote:
    I want to simulate frame switching and Have considered buying a 2520 or just getting a NM-4A/S for my 2611. What do you all recommend. The NM route would be cheaper, but I want to make sure my 2611 can handle it being that it is my cable modem gateway router as well.

I go for the NM-4A/S, is cheaper and it does work fine with your 2610 router, i have in my rack one NM-8A/S working with one 2610 and no problem.

Hope this help. icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    This site, http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps214/products_tech_note09186a00800ae37f.shtml
    Has a lot of good info about both NM and WIC compatabilities.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    freetechfreetech Member Posts: 154
    I have an NM-8A/S working with a 2620. It's configured the 2620 as my Frame Switch and it's worked great.
    BUT, I'm not sure if you would still be able use the routing functions. It's been a while since I did the lab.
    I'm showing my newbie CCNA ignorance here.
    Experience is a harsh teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    freetech wrote:
    I have an NM-8A/S working with a 2620. It's configured the 2620 as my Frame Switch and it's worked great.
    BUT, I'm not sure if you would still be able use the routing functions. It's been a while since I did the lab.

I do the same thing now in my CCIE lab, I use a NM-8A/S and NM-1FE-TX in a 3620
    So I can do FR on it as well as use it as a routine router. Works great.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    Thanks for the info/reminder.
    I need to get my lab up and working again.
    All this talk about a Frame Relay switch makes me miss all the fun and learning.
    I haven't been on it while I learned about PIX 501's and 506's. Finally got them up and running.
    Right now I'm trying to resurrect an old Aironet350 and learn about Cisco wireless.
    I just need to buy a couple of 2950's and I can start my lab up again.
  • Options
    aragoen_celtdraaragoen_celtdra Member Posts: 246
    mgeorge27 wrote:
    freetech wrote:

I do the same thing now in my CCIE lab, I use a NM-8A/S and NM-1FE-TX in a 3620
    So I can do FR on it as well as use it as a routine router. Works great.

Good day all, long time lurker, first time poster here. I've been studying for my ICND1/ICND2 exam and this site has proved to be such a great resource for questions I've come across while studying.

My particular question is in line with this thread. Should I invest on an NM-8A/S or will an NM-4A/S suffice for practicing frame relay? I have access to multiple routers from work and are willing to let me use a few routers (eg 2514, 2611, 2620, 3620, 1720) for practice at home. I'm also thinking ahead in the future when I pursue a CCNP and would like my home lab to be prepped for that.

I'm using Wendell Odom's ICND1/ICND2 prep books and although I like his style, he doesn't go into much detail about specific lab setup and configuration.

I figured this is where your expertise might come in handy icon_wink.gif

Thanks guys.
    CCIE Wr: In Progress...
    Hours CCIE Wr Prep: 309:03:52
    Follow my study progress at Route My World!
    My CCIE Thread
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It will depend on how many routers you want to connect to your frame cloud at the same time. If you only need to connect 3-4 then the nm-4a/s is fine, if you want to build a bigger frame nework then you will need more interfaces. If yo uplan on going to CCNP the nm-4a/s is fine, but if you want to go beyond that to CCIE then the nm-8a/s will be required if you want to use the lab workbooks. I prefer to use the Cisco 4000/4500 series routers becuase they can have a high interface clock rate (the nm-4a/s are limited to 128,000 bits per second). Just do some price comparison on Ebay and see what is worthwhile.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    Should I invest on an NM-8A/S or will an NM-4A/S suffice for practicing frame relay?

That all depends on how many routers will participate in the lab. If you have 3 or 4 routers, then a NM-4a/s should suffice, about $50+S&H. It comes with 4 DB60 interfaces.
    If you want more interfaces, the NM-8a/s has eight, about $70+S&H.
    Don't forget to get enough DB60 back-to-back cables. one for each interface you use.
    Me, I got the NM-8a/s. I keep adding on to the lab as I go.
    Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Thanks dt and freetech!
    I do have access to 6+ routers, from work and others I plan to buy for myself - can't have too much exposure to experience. So I do intend to expand as I go along.

Since I'm just beginning and have written out a year-long and specific plans on what I want to accomplish, I want to make sure my home lab is well equipped.

By the way, freetech, I just received 5 dte/dce back to back cable from ebay yesterday :)
    My CCIE Thread
  • Options
    Great router for a frame switch, has 4 serial interfaces in it and you could add 4 more in the future for little money $15-20

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cisco-Catalyst-4500-M-w-4-Port-Serial-Module-AUI_W0QQitemZ360025817088QQihZ023QQcategoryZ51258QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
  • Options
    dtlokee wrote:
    Great router for a frame switch, has 4 serial interfaces in it and you could add 4 more in the future for little money $15-20

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cisco-Catalyst-4500-M-w-4-Port-Serial-Module-AUI_W0QQitemZ360025817088QQihZ023QQcategoryZ51258QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    Wow thanks! You did all this research for me? icon_redface.gif LOL

On a serious note, never heard of a 4500 before - at least haven't run across it in all my research. Is this a switch or a router (logic tell me it's a router)? I typically associate the "Catalyst" name to a switch. I guess I haven't been around Cisco equipment long enough to know the history of the product lines. icon_confused.gif

Also, as I was thinking about the whole topology of this home lab, will a WIC 1T be good enough for the rest of the other routers - to connect to the frame switch - that don't have serial ports on them?
    My CCIE Thread
  • Options
    There are two 4500 products, one is a modular router line and the other (more expensive) line is a modular switch line.
  • Options
    Also, as I was thinking about the whole topology of this home lab, will a WIC 1T be good enough for the rest of the other routers - to connect to the frame switch - that don't have serial ports on them?

If a router needs to connect to the frame relay switch, then a WIC-1t will do fine, one for each router.
    When buying interface cards, just make sure to research router compatibility for each router/card/module combo.
  • Options
    dtlokee wrote:
    There are two 4500 products, one is a modular router line and the other (more expensive) line is a modular switch line.
    Excellent! Thank you. I've just perused a few websites highlighting the overviews on the different product lines. This is something good to consider as I continue to build my lab in the future.
    Now back to studying I go. icon_wink.gif
    My CCIE Thread
  • Options
    freetech wrote:

If a router needs to connect to the frame relay switch, then a WIC-1t will do fine, one for each router.
    When buying interface cards, just make sure to research router compatibility for each router/card/module combo.

Ok. Maybe I'm getting too far ahead of myself with this frame relay setup since i just began that chapter last night. But here's another thought that came to me just as I read your reply.

Say for example I have 4 routers (R1, R2, R3, R4). R1 would be my frame switch with the NM serial card, I then have a WIC 1T, for each routers connected to R1. What if I want to connect R2 to R3, or R3 to R4 directly while all still connected to R1? Would I need 2 WIC-1Ts for each routers then?

I guess it helps if I give a list of my equipment:

-5 back to back DTE/DCE cables
    -1720 with WIC 1DSU T1
    -3620 with WIC 1DSU T1
    -2611 with WIC 1DSU T1, and 2 ethernet ports
    -2514 with 2 built-in serial ports
    -2620 with empty slots (this one I purchase of ebay and should receive soon)

As you can see, I have access to several routers that I have yet a solid idea on how to put to good use for ccna lab practice. And because I have 5 dte/dce cables, i want to be able to use them at least (thus the questions about the NM modules and WIC 1Ts)

Something tells me this should've been posted on a whole new thread. icon_confused.gif
    My CCIE Thread
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    You have 3 T1 cards; if you have the ability to make cables, then make a couple T1-cross over cables and you should be good.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    What if I want to connect R2 to R3, or R3 to R4 directly while all still connected to R1? Would I need 2 WIC-1Ts for each routers then?
    Theoretically speaking, if you wanted to hook all the routers to the frame relay switch AND to another router, for every router you would need another WIC-1t, or a WIC-2t and a new bunch of cables. WIC-2t's, I believe, use a different cable than a WIC-1t.
    BUT...
    For all practical purposes, when you hook a bunch of routers to a frame relay switch, they are all accessible to each other anyways. Think of a frame relay switch just like you would think of a network switch. Given the correct routing commands, every router hooked to the network switch can communicate with all the others. You don't need a direct connection. A frame relay switch is nothing more or less than a WAN switch that uses a frame relay protocol to pass IP packets.
    Getting the correct routing commands to get them all talking is what your frame realy lab is all about.
    Hope this helps.
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    I was in a similar situation when I was studying for the my CCNA. You can connect all the routers to a network switch and then setup multiple loopbacks on each router. When you activate each differet routing protocol you can watch the routers respond and pass the routes, you can then shutdown loopback interfaces and watch the routers reconverge. I also had 2 routers with a T1 WIC cards so I made a T1 crossover cable to connect the two devices.

I really feel that I learned more by setting up my own labs, and configuring the routers for RIP, then RIPv2, then IGRP, then EIGRP, the OSPF, and using differnet show command, and debug, that I ended up learning much more than if I took a book that said, follow step 1,2,3 and type command 1,2,3... etc...

It sounds like you have enough gear to play with, start configuring it, and always know, that you can wipe them clean and start over.

Good luck
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    Hey thanks for all the tips guys. Honestly, I find studying (and learning) much more enjoyable when I know there are people I can share and ask questions and tips with. It actually makes me want to go straight home from work and start tinkering, configuring and experimenting with all my gear. :)
    Wish me luck on my exams.
    My CCIE Thread
  • Options
    Good luck and keep studying and experimenting and discovering and learning.
  • Options
    misthemisthe Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Excellent that conversation is for me!! I have just bought NM4A/S instead of buying an 25XX for frame-relay labs.I'm wondering if anyone have ever seen the interface of this module up/down and on the other router (which is connecting ) the interface with the Wic 1T down/down.
    Of course i will give you some details in order not ta ask me easily things
    1. The interfaces between them have the right IPs the clock rate is ok andon the right side of the V.35 cable both have the same data link protocolseither PPP or HDLC .
    2. i' ve tested this module on 5 different routers 2610XM with the same results and i tested with different IOS at the beggining with 12.4 and after with a 12.2 the same results.
    I believe that this module is for unlucky people like me :D and that is not compatible with my rest lab.[/b]
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Lots of good advice, but for the CCNA you can use a 2501 for your frame relay switch. Two serial ports is all you need.

That being said, a NM-4A/S will save you from upgrading down the road.

Here's a link on how to do the config if anyone is interested

http://www.thebryantadvantage.com/Frame%20Relay%20Switch.htm
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Netwurk wrote:
    Two serial ports is all you need.
    How do you configure and test spoke-to-spoke configurations if you don't have a serial port for the hub?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote:
    Netwurk wrote:
    How do you configure and test spoke-to-spoke configurations if you don't have a serial port for the hub?

I guess you don't. I wasn't aware that the CCNA went that deeply into spoke-to-spoke (beyond knowing what it is). Actually configuring it is probably beyond the scope of the test. Still, it never hurts to expand your knowledge. If you can afford a rig with 4 or more serial ports, then go for it.
  • Options
    Netwurk wrote:
    mikej412 wrote:
    Netwurk wrote:

I guess you don't. I wasn't aware that the CCNA went that deeply into spoke-to-spoke (beyond knowing what it is). Actually configuring it is probably beyond the scope of the test. Still, it never hurts to expand your knowledge. If you can afford a rig with 4 or more serial ports, then go for it.
    From my limited understanding, the ICND1 tests Frame Relay basic. I'm actually currently studying that.
    But when I scanned through my ICND2 book, there is a lot more Frame Relay configuration involved - seems a bit daunting at first glance. However I don't see any thing about Frame Relay that talks about spoke to spoke in that book (I'm using Wendell Odom's book). So i don't know if we are required to know that for the purposes of passing the exam.

I shudder to think how much more difficult it gets. However, if all my lab experience and light-bulb-igniting epiphanies I've had are any indication, i'm in for a whole lot more of fun to come.

By the way, progress report. Last week i was scared as heck of subnetting; this week I've almost gotten CCNA-level subnetting to bow down before me. icon_wink.gif
    My CCIE Thread